Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > That card g@me that starts with P
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:20 PM
SOA

College: UC Santa Barbara

raise it up man! mash it in there...fold equity is math too.

experimenting with LAG and find it so much more fun than typical ABC actuarial play.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:56 PM

Yeah. Semibluffing is the nuts, man.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:01 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Adams Summer Seasonal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranialfury13 View Post

experimenting with LAG and find it so much more fun than typical ABC actuarial play.
I'd love to try this. I'm generally moderately tight and pretty aggressive in most hands that I do play. Since it doesn't come naturally to me, I'd love to play around with that style without just bluffing away a ton of $$.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Non-Actuary

The LAG style is interesting to me too... I've dabbled here and there. Are there any books/materials dedicated to this as opposed to the normal TAG style that has been analyzed to death?

Having played against LAG players more than having played that style myself, I find that the most difficult aspect is playing that way without giving it away as your image. In other words, I would think the goal is to play LAG and show down only premium hands or the nuts. Otherwise people just wait to trap.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:21 PM

Being a LAG sounds like fun, but at 1/2 it seems to me that you're more likely to be spewing your chips away. The biggest mistake people make at 1/2 is calling too much. They're going to call a single raise pre-flop with any two cards that look nice to them. And then, if they catch even a small piece of the flop they're going to call a single bet on the flop, because they are smart enough to know that you C-bet means nothing.

As I've said before, you would not believe the shit I've seen people call three streets of betting with at 1/2.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:18 PM
SOA

College: UC Santa Barbara

definitely have to get used to bigger swings, but it's liberating. not the end-all solution, just another arrow to have in the quiver if you get the right game conditions..

at 1/2 and 2/5 it seems to be about finding guys that will call one or two streets for 30-50% of stacks but won't call that river shove. some guys just have an absolute $$$ amount in mind they're willing to put in with certain hands. "don't put in a stack with one pair" types. you get the better of that guy, maybe show a bluff or two, then he adjusts poorly to "get you back" or some other shortsighted nonsense. he's not used to playing this way and puts himself in a bad spot.

also helps to find guys that are up a bit and clearly want to end the session up a bit. they throw half-hearted c-bets out you can scoop up. generally does not work with young hotshots.

don't think of bluffs as "throwing away money" just because they don't work one time. evaluate the potential on the same grounds you do your value play.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:17 PM
CAS

Studying for the rest of my life
Favorite beer: Elysian Space Dust IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassy View Post
The LAG style is interesting to me too... I've dabbled here and there. Are there any books/materials dedicated to this as opposed to the normal TAG style that has been analyzed to death?

Having played against LAG players more than having played that style myself, I find that the most difficult aspect is playing that way without giving it away as your image. In other words, I would think the goal is to play LAG and show down only premium hands or the nuts. Otherwise people just wait to trap.
I'm naturally TAG, but I go LAG sometimes when I feel the conditions are right (or if I've had a few too many*). I'm happy to show my garbage hands when I finally get caught, because once I sense my table image becoming LAG, then I can change gears and start playing my usual TAG style, and hopefully I get more action.

*believe it or not, I can actually play good, disciplined poker even when wasted, although it is a bit of a handicap.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:34 PM
CAS

Studying for the rest of my life
Favorite beer: Elysian Space Dust IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranialfury13 View Post
Totally agree that there's value in semi-bluffing (when I sense some fold equity). It's just not my default play when I have a big draw, especially on the flop where the pot is generally small. If I can see an obvious +EV situation by just calling, then that's what I'll do. Now say I call with a draw on the flop, and miss on the turn; I might try an all in semi-bluff rather than call a larger bet, depending on the stack sizes and my assesment of the other player.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:07 PM

My absolute favorite thing to do at a poker table is a move I call the Rope-a-Dope. (although I'm sure I didn't invent it and it probably has a real name)

When you're OOP and you flop the nut flush draw, you semi-bluff. If someone calls, and you hit you flush on the turn, you sigh and check. This will almost always get them to bet. If they bet small, you sigh and call to induce another bluff on the river. If they bet big, you check-raise, and now they don't know what the **** to do.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:20 PM

I rarely like trying for a check-raise on the river with a made hand unless I'm against a V that loves to snag pots when checked to, because I have found it too often that it gets checked behind. I'd rather value-bet for one bet than risk having no value accrue to my made hand.

If the river-aggro V is immediately to my left with some others in between and I have relative position if that V bets, then some dead money pick-up helps.