Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 11-14-2014, 08:38 PM
lllj's Avatar
lllj lllj is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaymen View Post
I think those are terrible questions.

First of all, it doesn't sound like you have more pertinent, specific questions to ask about the company, the position, etc.

Second, there isn't likely anything you can now "do" at the interview stage to become the ideal candidate. They aren't going to send you away with homework and offer you a position in three months when you return with it finished. Either you ARE the ideal candidate or you AREN'T. During the interview is not the time to be asking this.
I'm hoping this thread will now show up on google when people search for "questions to ask interviewer actuarial" or something and they will all stop asking.

If it was an informational interview, sure. But for a job interview? I don't get it.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-15-2014, 04:27 AM
editedit's Avatar
editedit editedit is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
College: 3rd year
Posts: 12
Default

I am currently seeking an internship position. I think it depends on how your conversation plays out. Show interest in what they do. A few questions I've asked almost all my interviewers:

How many people are in a team? Are they all actuaries? They usually say it depends, so they give a range of sizes.
What other departments do you mainly communicate with?
What do you spend most of your day doing? Pre-ASAs typically say Excel, project managers say trying to get all the pieces together, so emailing people.
If there's a special program, I ask how much their office participates. eg Community service events - Does everyone get involved?
How is an intern's work integrated in the bigger picture?
Most surprising about their job? Challenging? I'd also ask what they enjoy the most, but from my interviews they've answered that when they questioned me.
Work-life balance.
What test did they find the hardest?

In a similar vein of questions that y'all interviewers hate, I've asked what they like to see in interns that turns them into ELs after graduation.

Questions that professors tell you to ask, everyone else will ask. They'll get tired of it; wouldn't you?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-15-2014, 06:00 AM
DrWillKirby's Avatar
DrWillKirby DrWillKirby is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Studying for PA
Posts: 1,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by editedit View Post

In a similar vein of questions that y'all interviewers hate, I've asked what they like to see in interns that turns them into ELs after graduation.
This one is different because it doesn't put the interviewer on the spot;they're not evaluating your work as an intern/EL during the interview. I like to ask "What have past people done to succeed in this role?" as well
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-15-2014, 06:04 AM
ofarlig ofarlig is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 266
Default

Why prepare/rehearse at all? I find it just feels prepared. Whenever I go to interviews I usually don't prepare/research anything. If there's questions I can't answer or good questions I don't ask who cares? I go to interviews being me and if they don't like that chances are high I wouldn't fit in there anyhow.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-15-2014, 08:29 AM
Malcolm's Avatar
Malcolm Malcolm is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: the Middle
Posts: 4,343
Default

I find that when you ask vague, open-ended questions, your likely to get similarly general answers. It can be more revealing to ask for specifics:

What has been your most (least) interesting project you've worked on at _____?
What was your favorite rotation opportunity and why?
Work/life (work/life/study) balance is very important for young actuarials. Please tell me about the time you had to personally sacrifice the most in order to get the job done.
__________________
Life is unfair
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 11-15-2014, 12:13 PM
lllj's Avatar
lllj lllj is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWillKirby View Post
This one is different because it doesn't put the interviewer on the spot;they're not evaluating your work as an intern/EL during the interview. I like to ask "What have past people done to succeed in this role?" as well
Agreed, this is fine.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-15-2014, 03:32 PM
Captain Oveur Captain Oveur is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 12,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by editedit View Post
I am currently seeking an internship position. I think it depends on how your conversation plays out. Show interest in what they do. A few questions I've asked almost all my interviewers:

How many people are in a team? Are they all actuaries? They usually say it depends, so they give a range of sizes.
What other departments do you mainly communicate with?
What do you spend most of your day doing? Pre-ASAs typically say Excel, project managers say trying to get all the pieces together, so emailing people.
If there's a special program, I ask how much their office participates. eg Community service events - Does everyone get involved?
How is an intern's work integrated in the bigger picture?
Most surprising about their job? Challenging? I'd also ask what they enjoy the most, but from my interviews they've answered that when they questioned me.
Work-life balance.
What test did they find the hardest?

In a similar vein of questions that y'all interviewers hate, I've asked what they like to see in interns that turns them into ELs after graduation.

Questions that professors tell you to ask, everyone else will ask. They'll get tired of it; wouldn't you?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-17-2014, 09:10 PM
editedit's Avatar
editedit editedit is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
College: 3rd year
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Oveur View Post
What answer is desirable? I got similar responses from 1st/2nd years in both consulting and insurance companies.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 11-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Captain Oveur Captain Oveur is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 12,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by editedit View Post
What answer is desirable? I got similar responses from 1st/2nd years in both consulting and insurance companies.
You'll understand once you see how abusively overused Excel is in the industry.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 11-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 49,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Oveur View Post
You'll understand once you see how abusively overused Excel is in the industry.
poor Excel
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.27943 seconds with 9 queries