Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > That card g@me that starts with P
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:43 PM
SOA

College: UC Santa Barbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohete009 View Post
Hero tanks and folds Qd 9d
Oh man, sick fold! Don't think I can make it, I'd drive myself nuts wondering whether I folded to a smaller flush. The stack depth is right in that "no clear best option" range, maximum torture.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:31 PM

Third level of a Foxwoods $300 tournament. No reads yet on villain. He recently won a big pot where he and someone else both turned trips but he had the A kicker.

Blinds 100/200 200 BB ante. Effective stack 30,000.

Villain opens from UTG+1 to 800. Everyone folds to me in the SB with two black aces. I raise to 2200. Villain calls. To the flop.

Q66 two spades. I bet 3000. Villain raises to 8000. Hero?
Old 06-16-2019, 01:24 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

I think I know exactly what he has.

Calling QQ OOP seems like a poor idea. He's ahead of AK, loses to AA/KK, just shove. Don't let AK see a flop. Don't make life difficult. He shouldn't have that. If he did and pulled a third queen then idiocy pays sometimes.

He can't have AQ spades. Worst, WORST case for you is KQ spades draw. Otherwise I think he is AQo or KQ on 2 pair/kicker. A6s seems like a bad call oop (or in?). If so, a miracle flop.

You dominate the runner flush outcome and can pull the full house so +EV for you is for all his chips to get in now. More cautious is to call, see what comes down, let him fire again. If it's a spade you can tread more lightly and keep the pot down. If you go over the top now. I think KQ and AQ will fold and it'll make AA/KK/AQ more obvious. It marks you with the spade ace somewhat.

I would call and let him fire again.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:24 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese

I'm a newb and been playing like 2 weeks tho
Old 06-16-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
I think I know exactly what he has.

Calling QQ OOP seems like a poor idea. He's ahead of AK, loses to AA/KK, just shove. Don't let AK see a flop. Don't make life difficult. He shouldn't have that. If he did and pulled a third queen then idiocy pays sometimes.

He can't have AQ spades. Worst, WORST case for you is KQ spades draw. Otherwise I think he is AQo or KQ on 2 pair/kicker. A6s seems like a bad call oop (or in?). If so, a miracle flop.

You dominate the runner flush outcome and can pull the full house so +EV for you is for all his chips to get in now. More cautious is to call, see what comes down, let him fire again. If it's a spade you can tread more lightly and keep the pot down. If you go over the top now. I think KQ and AQ will fold and it'll make AA/KK/AQ more obvious. It marks you with the spade ace somewhat.

I would call and let him fire again.
Queen of spades is on the board. I have ace of spades. There aren't a lot of flush draws left for him to have.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:38 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Adams Summer Seasonal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repair Man View Post
Third level of a Foxwoods $300 tournament. No reads yet on villain. He recently won a big pot where he and someone else both turned trips but he had the A kicker.

Villain opens from UTG+1 to 800. Everyone folds to me in the SB with two black aces. I raise to 2200. Villain calls. To the flop.

Did he raise UTG+1 with a 6? Highly unlikely. Did he do so with QQ? Possibly, but without any sort of additional information, it's very difficult to conclude that's what he has. Those are the only 2 hands that beat you at this point. In most instances here, he has like AQs. In most hands, that's what he has, but as this is you polling the audience, I'm sure you're going to tell us he flipped over Queens full when you jammed. I'm also suspecting maybe he had A6s, just because you had given us the info about him winning a previous pot with trips with the A kicker.... curious if he's a n00b who will play any ace.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:48 AM

Favorite beer: Ummmmm....Beer

Quote:

Call. Folding is too weak and just giving up to any aggro on this flop is bad. What 6s does he have in his range? A6s or 67s maybe? He probably doesnt do this with a KQ type of hand, so most likely is AQ or a flush draw (TJs?) but still going to check most turns. Having the black Ace gives you runner runner flush as well. If he is aggro he might raise any flush draw there. In tournament he might be bullying and trying to use his stack to push you away knowing there arent many hands you can have that can continue with that board.

Last edited by Cohete009; 06-17-2019 at 09:53 AM..
Old 06-17-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohete009 View Post
Call. Folding is too weak and just giving up to any aggro on this flop is bad. What 6s does he have in his range? A6s or 67s maybe? He probably doesnt do this with a KQ type of hand, so most likely is AQ or a flush draw (TJs?) but still going to check most turns. Having the black Ace gives you runner runner flush as well. If he is aggro he might raise any flush draw there. In tournament he might be bullying and trying to use his stack to push you away knowing there arent many hands you can have that can continue with that board.
If I call, what is my plan on the turn?

I felt like this was a WAWB situation which left me to either fold or shove.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsATrap View Post
Did he raise UTG+1 with a 6? Highly unlikely. Did he do so with QQ? Possibly, but without any sort of additional information, it's very difficult to conclude that's what he has. Those are the only 2 hands that beat you at this point. In most instances here, he has like AQs. In most hands, that's what he has, but as this is you polling the audience, I'm sure you're going to tell us he flipped over Queens full when you jammed. I'm also suspecting maybe he had A6s, just because you had given us the info about him winning a previous pot with trips with the A kicker.... curious if he's a n00b who will play any ace.
Because I posted it as a hand question, you can surmise that I know what his hand was, which means either I folded and he showed, or I shoved and he called, or I shoved and he showed what he folded.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:02 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese

Quote:
Queen of spades is on the board. I have ace of spades. There aren't a lot of flush draws left for him to have.
Yeah that was my point in a roundabout way