Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > That card g@me that starts with P
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 06-17-2019, 12:30 PM

Favorite beer: Ummmmm....Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repair Man View Post
If I call, what is my plan on the turn?

I felt like this was a WAWB situation which left me to either fold or shove.
Definitely check to him and see what he does. But most likely am calling it off if he puts hero all in on the turn.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:38 PM

Some thoughts I had:

1. Would a call have been better pre-flop? He put in a nice raise UTG+1 and everyone else folded. So you're already down to 2 or 3 handed (depending on BB), and your hand will be better disguised with a call. Plus you'll be controlling the pot size.

2. Given that didn't happen, if you fold, you still have over 120 BB. If you keep playing, you're basically committing the rest of your stack, since the pot is over 20,000 and you would now have less than that behind. I agree with you that this is either a fold or a shove. Personally, given that it's still fairly early in the tournament, and it's between staying alive with a healthy stack or being dead, I'd probably unhappily fold.

Also with a fold, you might send the message that you can be pushed around, which you could possibly use to your advantage later on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listeria View Post
I don't think figure8 agrees with figure8 anymore.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:47 PM

Was his stack significantly larger than yours? The larger his stack, the more likely I would probably be to shove, actually. Just because the more likely he would be using his stack size to try to bully.
Quote:
Old 06-17-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by figure 8 View Post
Some thoughts I had:

1. Would a call have been better pre-flop? He put in a nice raise UTG+1 and everyone else folded. So you're already down to 2 or 3 handed (depending on BB), and your hand will be better disguised with a call. Plus you'll be controlling the pot size.
I have a few absolute poker guidelines. One is to never* slowplay aces pre-flop. If I have a 3-bet range from the blinds, AA is going to be part of that range 100% of the time. Otherwise, some attentive person sees that I failed to 3bet AA and now I'm going to be facing a lot more 4-bets, which I won't like.

*unless we're in some extremely rare ICM dead zone where it is mathematically correct to fold AA pre-flop.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by figure 8 View Post
Was his stack significantly larger than yours? The larger his stack, the more likely I would probably be to shove, actually. Just because the more likely he would be using his stack size to try to bully.
It was still early in the tournament, and most players were around the 30k starting stack. He might have had 40k or 45k. Not enough to be a bully.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:24 PM

This might be a situation where I fold early in a tournament but shove in a cash game.
Quote:
Old 06-17-2019, 03:55 PM
SOA AAA

Could you re-enter this tournament?
What was the buy-in for? And would you shove that much in a cash game?
How juicy were the cash games? Sometimes they are swimming with fish who busted in the tournament.

I'm guessing he had KK.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 06-17-2019, 04:23 PM

I never re-enter tournaments. It means if I min-cash I only break even. But even if I could, it wouldn't change my decision process during a hand.

$300 buy-in. and I would happily ship $300 in a cash game if it was +EV.

Foxwoods cash games are dead. Bunch of old guys just sitting around collecting rewards points and waiting to die. I only go there for tournaments these days. Much better waters anywhere else in New England.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:43 PM
SOA

College: UC Santa Barbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repair Man View Post
Third level of a Foxwoods $300 tournament. No reads yet on villain. He recently won a big pot where he and someone else both turned trips but he had the A kicker.

Blinds 100/200 200 BB ante. Effective stack 30,000.

Villain opens from UTG+1 to 800. Everyone folds to me in the SB with two black aces. I raise to 2200. Villain calls. To the flop.

Q66 two spades. I bet 3000. Villain raises to 8000. Hero?
comfortable re-ship here imo. probably sizing larger preflop so flop decision is even easier.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:47 PM

I shipped, he called, A6 diamonds. LOL

I'm still not sure what I should have done. A lot of players won't 4bet QQ, so he has that in his range. But if he has that, he probably has half the combos of KK, and he would probably call a shove with KK. Those cancel out.

There are only 6 combos of AQ left. There are six total combos of 76s and 56s and A6s, although in the moment I did not think he would raise from UTG+1 with a hand as bad as A6s.

The question then becomes, how many combos of KQ can he have, and would he call a shove with KQ? Probably not. Would he call a shove with AQ? It would certainly be a mistake to, but lots of donkament players go broke with top-top. Are there any semi-bluffs in his range? JTs maybe. If he can have 56s or 76s he can also have 78s and 45s maybe, although I don't see how he can call a shove with that.

In the end, I think I should have folded, but if I didn't have the ace of spades I should call. Having redraws to a higher flush isn't as valuable as the villain having a lot more nut flush draws in his range. If he can have the ace of spades, he can have AKs, AJs, ATs, and, as we've seen, lots more preposterous weak suited aces.