Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > EA Exams
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 04-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me
Default ACTEX or ASM manual for 2F

Which one does the group (in the EA Exam section here on the AO) prefer?

EDIT: FOR EXAM 2F (original post said 2L ) !!

Last edited by BG5150; 04-17-2018 at 05:13 PM..
Old 04-17-2018, 04:23 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
Which one does the group (in the EA Exam section here on the AO) prefer?
Donít use ACTEX. Dave Farberís ASM manual and Rick Gís Infinite Actuary online seminar materials are the two main resources for the EA exams and both are excellent. Your ultimate choice depends on how you best learn - reading and self-teaching (ASM) or video seminars (TIA).
Old 04-17-2018, 04:26 PM
SOA

Studying for RPIRM
College: USF
Favorite beer: Free Beer

I used both manuals for the 2017 sitting and I passed the exam on my first attempt. I would recommend both manuals but there are pros and cons to both. The ACTEX manual has more of textbook like written section with full paragraphs and explanations/history on most topics. Whereas the ASM uses an outline approach with bullets summarizing the topics. I preferred the ACTEX approach here.

However, the ACTEX manual is (based on the 2017 edition) littered with errors and typos, making it difficult to trust. I remember at least one question where I thought that the solution could not possibly be correct, which lead to wasted study time. Alternatively, the question/answers portion of the ASM is great and I never had an issue with errors. I didn’t always understand the solution and would sometime refer back to the code for clarification.

In addition to these manuals, I used Rich G's and Farber's exam solutions for the past exams. I’d recommend using both because they have different styles and offer different insights. When I didn’t understand something from one, the other seemed to do the trick.

Good Luck with this sitting.

Last edited by Prob4Fun; 04-17-2018 at 04:31 PM..
Old 04-17-2018, 04:35 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

I used ASM when I was studying for these 5-6 years ago, and Dave was great. Super helpful, and very responsive on these forums to questions.

I've also heard great things about Rick G, and with the same level of helpfulness on the AO, but my company only paid for the ASM manual at the time, so that's what I went with.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:37 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

Alsoooo isn't the exam in two weeks? Isn't it a little late to be asking this question?
Old 04-17-2018, 04:55 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prob4Fun View Post
However, the ACTEX manual is (based on the 2017 edition) littered with errors and typos, making it difficult to trust. I remember at least one question where I thought that the solution could not possibly be correct, which lead to wasted study time.
Sounds like ACTEX hasn't invested much time in cleaning up its materials. I used ACTEX for the EA2A Fall 2012 sitting and it was also riddled with errors and typos. For example, "In such a case (already alluded to above), a shortfall still exists (despite no"

--it literally just cut off without completing the sentence.

While I failed that sitting, it wouldn't be fair to blame it all on ACTEX. My approach was to nail the SE material and I didn't spend much time on the ME stuff. Of course that was the first sitting they started testing the ME material more heavily.

For EA2L Spring 2013 and EA2F Fall 2013, I ran the gamut and got both ASM and TIA. I also went to Rick G's live seminars and they were invaluable. I've heard he's stopped doing them though, which makes me incredibly sad. I feel like we should throw him a thank-you party or something.

Rick - do you have an apprentice in the wings who will take over the gory details?

Last edited by CrispyCobb; 04-17-2018 at 04:59 PM..
Old 04-17-2018, 05:14 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
Alsoooo isn't the exam in two weeks? Isn't it a little late to be asking this question?
I meant 2F!

original post and title fixed.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCobb View Post
Rick - do you have an apprentice in the wings who will take over the gory details?
Not really ... my four legged assistants are abandoning me too.

Now offering online seminars and everything else under the sun for actuarial exams.
EA-2F and EA-2L and EA-1