Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 5 - Ratemaking/Reserving
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:49 AM
CAS

College: UW-Stevens Point

I really liked Bedford. He did a great job of explaining the topics intuitively, thus cutting down on the pure memorization.

Also, he put all the appendices in excel, which really help with understanding of how all the pieces come together and you can change the severity percentage, for instance, to see how it changes the different reserving estimates.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:02 PM
CAS

I haven't counted my problems, but I have every CAS problem from the current format (2011 and beyond) in Excel. I also have perhaps a dozen original problems per chapter on average (when originally in written format, when combining into Excel I combined many problems into longer multi part problems so there are generally fewer than a dozen-- counting the number of problems may not be the best metric since the same questions could be numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, 1e for example). I also have an advanced problem set of approximately 50 advanced problems which are generally longer.

I am of the opinion I have included sufficient problems for exam preparation. Also, while practice problems are certainly very important, I think having an enormous bank of problems is less important for upper level exams than the prelims. On the prelims, if you can do all of the prior problems you are very likely to pass-- on the upper level exams that is not necessarily the case since the exam format and question styles are very different. On the upper levels, having a very strong intuitive understanding of the material is much more important since the exam committee generally does a very good job of coming up with creative new ways to test students understanding of the material.

I have held out the last three exams from the practice problem set so that students can take them under exam conditions closer to the exam date for practice. I will also commit to producing at least one original practice exam, to be released approximately a month before the exam (I don't have this listed on my website at this time).
Jim@BedfordSeminars.com
Old 06-25-2018, 12:06 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUN View Post
PS: CAS has not decided whether the 2018 Fall exam 5 will be paper or computer at this point.
This is true as far as I know. Right now I am assuming the exam will be Excel based. All problems are Excel based at this time.

If they end up going back to pen/paper I will adjust accordingly and add additional discussion on how to best take the exam in that format, including sample handwritten solutions illustrating my recommendations for notation/depth/etc. The biggest issue students run into with pen/paper is time, because most write way too much.
Jim@BedfordSeminars.com
Old 06-25-2018, 12:24 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bedford View Post

On the upper levels, having a very strong intuitive understanding of the material is much more important since the exam committee generally does a very good job of coming up with creative new ways to test students understanding of the material.
100% agree on this. I hope CAS sticks to the Excel exam format despite having a not so successful debut.

I will go with Bedford
Old 06-25-2018, 12:57 PM
CAS

Quote:
I haven't counted my problems, but I have every CAS problem from the current format (2011 and beyond) in Excel. I also have perhaps a dozen original problems per chapter on average (when originally in written format, when combining into Excel I combined many problems into longer multi part problems so there are generally fewer than a dozen-- counting the number of problems may not be the best metric since the same questions could be numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, 1e for example). I also have an advanced problem set of approximately 50 advanced problems which are generally longer.

I am of the opinion I have included sufficient problems for exam preparation. Also, while practice problems are certainly very important, I think having an enormous bank of problems is less important for upper level exams than the prelims. On the prelims, if you can do all of the prior problems you are very likely to pass-- on the upper level exams that is not necessarily the case since the exam format and question styles are very different. On the upper levels, having a very strong intuitive understanding of the material is much more important since the exam committee generally does a very good job of coming up with creative new ways to test students understanding of the material.

I have held out the last three exams from the practice problem set so that students can take them under exam conditions closer to the exam date for practice. I will also commit to producing at least one original practice exam, to be released approximately a month before the exam (I don't have this listed on my website at this time).
Thank you!!

6 7 8 9
Old 06-25-2018, 01:16 PM
CAS

Studying for 6
Favorite beer: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
Does TIA have significantly more? I'm trying to guage whether I should just get TIA or Bedford. The TIA website says it has 650+ problems...
Bedford has around that figure?
I agree with what Bedford says, it's not about the amount of problems but rather how well you understand the process behind them.

It's worth noting that what I said about Mahler somewhat applies here as well. TIA does have a huge problem bank, but it includes questions from 2000's exams which don't reflect how the exam is today.

With that said, I did find for sections in which I struggled it was good to do the older problems as it helped build intuition because those problems were more straightforward.

Personally, if I was buying study materials and I had to choose between Mahler+Bedford or TIA instead of both, I'd get Mahler+Bedford and read the source texts.

Also, I completely agree with what rockinroltgen said about the appendices that Bedford provides. Being able to see the effect of certain changes and see the calculations was really helpful. I learned more about the appendices and indications/relativity analysis by reading the source and going through Bedfords exhibits than I did listening to Josh try and explain each portion of the appendices.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:24 PM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Quote:

James,
Thank you for the response this is helpful.
I don't know if it's available and if I just wasn't successful in finding it on your website but would you be willing to share the table of content of your manual? I just got an approval to buy the materials and I'm interested in seeing the layout of your manual and how many pages there are.

Thanks.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:19 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
James,
Thank you for the response this is helpful.
I don't know if it's available and if I just wasn't successful in finding it on your website but would you be willing to share the table of content of your manual? I just got an approval to buy the materials and I'm interested in seeing the layout of your manual and how many pages there are.

Thanks.
The manual is 256 pages long excluding practice problems (the pages are rather dense (i.e., not a lot of long lists or blank spaces) as you can see in the sample).

The condensed notes are another 27 pages. There are 204 flashcards. All problems are in Excel (for now). My manual follows the order of the texts (starting with reserving) and adds additional discussion in the videos about nuances between the two (trend dates, etc.).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf TOC.pdf (227.0 KB, 60 views)
Jim@BedfordSeminars.com

Last edited by Jim Bedford; 07-20-2018 at 03:25 PM..
Old 07-16-2018, 05:56 PM
CAS

Bumping the add some survey results from Spring 2018 students:

Spoiler:

And incase you missed the Spring 2018 testimonials posted earlier:
Spoiler:
(reminder, my ratemaking material is new for the Fall 2018 sitting, so prior reviews tend to mention reserving only)

"Your study material is fantastic, concise and easy to understand"

"I thought the way you explained the reserving concepts provided great insight and it all finally clicked for me"

"The material is very well-written and condensed enough to help me study the reserving section in a shorter amount of time than expected"

"The Bedford Seminar was essential in helping me comprehend all of the reserving material and provided new and innovative ways to look at the material that was invaluable."

"Jim Bedford's material is easily the best reserving material for Exam 5. He truly does teach 'why' each technique works instead of simply saying to memorize X steps. Everything is explained intuitively and the labeling and arrows really help to see what's really happening. I passed this exam on my first try and I attribute a lot of that success to this material. I fully recommend this to anyone taking Exam 5 in the future."

"ULAE was far better written and less confusing than competing sources. Also, thought the sections on Berquist Sherman and Cape Cod were well done compared to competing sources. Concepts were explained in a much more intuitive manner compared to competitors."

"Literally everything you need to know for the reserving portion of the exam is explained clearly and intuitively by Bedford in his manual"

"I found that the Bedford Seminar for Exam 5 really helped me to understand and simplify processes instead of memorizing them. I would highly recommend this material to anyone sitting for Exam 5"

"Bedford’s material is great. His methods of providing intuition behind the material is a great way to master the material to be able to pass the exam with ease. The price of the material is very fair and I would definitely recommend. I used this and I easily passed the exam on my first try."

"The layout, diagrams, summary tables etc. were all laid out in a way that made it easy to understand."

"The advanced problems were very beneficial…they were presented in a different way and were very helpful."

"I used Bedford material for reserving and was quite impressed by the clarity with which the material is written and the all practice questions are in excel format which made it quite easy for me to practice."

"Loved the intensive overview and then the shorter review to use closer to the test. Also, the flash cards were awesome!"

"Pretty much everything you needed to know was there and explained in a straightforward manner."

“I strongly recommend Bedford Seminars, its content is very versatile, providing a range of material to study (study book, resume, flashcards etc.) The material was well defined and explanations were clear and easy to understand. Solutions resembled those from past examiner reports and were efficiently presented in excel. J. Bedford was committed to provide support throughout the process up to the exam day!”

“Your material is of exceptionally good quality”

Jim@BedfordSeminars.com

Last edited by Jim Bedford; 07-19-2018 at 03:32 PM..
Old 07-17-2018, 04:08 PM
CAS

College: Columbia Uni

Just curious: how many people used manuals only vs manuals + videos in this survey?

Quote:
Bumping the add some survey results from Spring 2018 students:

Spoiler:

And incase you missed the Spring 2018 testimonials posted earlier:
Spoiler:
(reminder, my ratemaking material is new for the Fall 2018 sitting, so prior reviews tend to mention reserving only)

"Your study material is fantastic, concise and easy to understand"

"I thought the way you explained the reserving concepts provided great insight and it all finally clicked for me"

"The material is very well-written and condensed enough to help me study the reserving section in a shorter amount of time than expected"

"The Bedford Seminar was essential in helping me comprehend all of the reserving material and provided new and innovative ways to look at the material that was invaluable."

"Jim Bedford's material is easily the best reserving material for Exam 5. He truly does teach 'why' each technique works instead of simply saying to memorize X steps. Everything is explained intuitively and the labeling and arrows really help to see what's really happening. I passed this exam on my first try and I attribute a lot of that success to this material. I fully recommend this to anyone taking Exam 5 in the future."

"ULAE was far better written and less confusing than competing sources. Also, thought the sections on Berquist Sherman and Cape Cod were well done compared to competing sources. Concepts were explained in a much more intuitive manner compared to competitors."

"Literally everything you need to know for the reserving portion of the exam is explained clearly and intuitively by Bedford in his manual"

"I found that the Bedford Seminar for Exam 5 really helped me to understand and simplify processes instead of memorizing them. I would highly recommend this material to anyone sitting for Exam 5"

"Bedford’s material is great. His methods of providing intuition behind the material is a great way to master the material to be able to pass the exam with ease. The price of the material is very fair and I would definitely recommend. I used this and I easily passed the exam on my first try."

"The layout, diagrams, summary tables etc. were all laid out in a way that made it easy to understand."

"The advanced problems were very beneficial…they were presented in a different way and were very helpful."

"I used Bedford material for reserving and was quite impressed by the clarity with which the material is written and the all practice questions are in excel format which made it quite easy for me to practice."

"Loved the intensive overview and then the shorter review to use closer to the test. Also, the flash cards were awesome!"

"Pretty much everything you needed to know was there and explained in a straightforward manner."

“I strongly recommend Bedford Seminars, its content is very versatile, providing a range of material to study (study book, resume, flashcards etc.) The material was well defined and explanations were clear and easy to understand. Solutions resembled those from past examiner reports and were efficiently presented in excel. J. Bedford was committed to provide support throughout the process up to the exam day!”

“Your material is of exceptionally good quality”