Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-17-2007, 03:45 PM
CCA AAA COPA

Favorite beer: Mine

I am biased towards the 360. Not only does it have more games and the online experience is rated better. But the ability to use the system as an extender to windows is insane.

My wife and I rarely use the dvd player because we can stream straight from my pc in a different room. As well as play music and look at pictures.

I wouldn't worry about the overheating. M$ has agreed to extend the warranty to three years if it is a problem.

All of them.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCORRELATED LAY View Post
I am biased towards the 360. Not only does it have more games and the online experience is rated better. But the ability to use the system as an extender to windows is insane.

My wife and I rarely use the dvd player because we can stream straight from my pc in a different room. As well as play music and look at pictures.

I wouldn't worry about the overheating. M$ has agreed to extend the warranty to three years if it is a problem.
You can stream music, videos, and images to the PS3 as well.

Unfortunately, the PS3 doesn't support divx or xvid codecs, so I have to convert everything to MPEG.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:49 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
and seeing that my 360 doesn't have an hdmi port, my PS3 will still look better.
I'm fairly certain that the update you haven't downloaded allows for 1080p GAMING (not movies) over component cables.

so you're telling me that you can notice 1080p over component vs 1080p over HDMI? you can't even make that claim until you hook up your system and download that update I think you're just a sony fan...and there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
I like playing with myself
Old 08-17-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post
I'm fairly certain that the update you haven't downloaded allows for 1080p GAMING (not movies) over component cables.

so you're telling me that you can notice 1080p over component vs 1080p over HDMI? you can't even make that claim until you hook up your system and download that update I think you're just a sony fan...and there's nothing wrong with that.
How many TVs accept 1080p over component?
Old 08-17-2007, 03:52 PM

Favorite beer: Blue Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post
I thought HDMI output > component. If that's wrong then I retract my statement. I do like the PS3 better, but that's mostly because of all the features that come built in the machine and the controller. I'm certainly disappointed at madden. It's not cause sony is the label.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:54 PM

Favorite beer: Blue Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
How many TVs accept 1080p over component?
that is also a good point. my TV only accepts 1080p over HDMI.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:55 PM
SOA

Quote:
I thought HDMI output > component. If that's wrong then I retract my statement. I do like the PS3 better, but that's mostly because of all the features that come built in the machine and the controller. I'm certainly disappointed at madden. It's not cause sony is the label.
in general yes, but in general you're not talking about 1080p gaming over component...you're talking about a max of 720p/1080i over component and 1080p over HDMI. other than the gaming systems (due to movie restrictions), 1080p isn't allowed over component

just freakin' download the update and actually make a comparison...

Quote:
Old 08-17-2007, 03:56 PM
SOA

Quote:
that is also a good point. my TV only accepts 1080p over HDMI.
not to mention, this is all pretty irrelevant to argue about 1080i vs 1080p, since I know rawl has a 50" samsung DLP (at least he made the right move there )....and I highly doubt he's sitting 4 feet from the screen.

Quote:
Old 08-17-2007, 04:45 PM

Are any 360 games actually rendered in 1080p? I believe that almost all of them are scaled to 1080i/p by the system, while they are actually rendered at a lower scale. That at least is how Bungie is decribing the process for Halo3. I would assume that if they aren't building it up for 1080p, few games are, and the ones that are probably aren't graphically intense enough for it to really be all that spectacular.

I know less about the PS3, but the same story probably wouldn't surprise me...
Old 08-17-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The President View Post
Are any 360 games actually rendered in 1080p? I believe that almost all of them are scaled to 1080i/p by the system, while they are actually rendered at a lower scale. That at least is how Bungie is decribing the process for Halo3. I would assume that if they aren't building it up for 1080p, few games are, and the ones that are probably aren't graphically intense enough for it to really be all that spectacular.

I know less about the PS3, but the same story probably wouldn't surprise me...
One or two PS3 games are rendered in 1080p. It's funny, because every developer hypes their upcoming games as full 1080p, and then by the time it actually gets released it's upscaled from 720p, or 960x1080.

IMO 1080p is still nothing but a marketing gimick.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one