Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 01-05-2007, 01:06 PM

i would bet some people (like myself) just want the high def graphics and new games..i really don't care about wifi and blue ray/ hd dvd (bigger hard drive is the only selling point about the PS3 for me) and would rather spend $400 on a 360 than $600 on a PS3.... "oh the PS3 is a better deal when you add the hd dvd player and wi fi , and blah blah blah"...some people just want the basics

this fact might help Microsoft ship a few extra 360 units

Last edited by td25er; 01-05-2007 at 01:09 PM..
Old 01-05-2007, 01:16 PM

Studying for shts&ggles
Favorite beer: Ginger Beer

One selling point for PS3 is that it's a $600 video game system/BluRay player in 1.......BluRays go for $800+ right now. $600 for the PS3 sounds too gfood to be true, but if Sony wants to win the dvd war, the price of a BD unit must come down to at least $300 for most people to consider buying one. $600 for PS3 doesn't sounds like as good of a deal anymore.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:23 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVLCIV View Post

I beat KHI when I lived with my parents and brothers - I didn't take any systems with me when I moved out in 2003 .
Ahhh, I just assumed getting your PS2 means the first time you regularly played any PS2 game (aside from friends house visits and such).

GBA game makes beginning of KHII make so much more sense, btw. the GBA game starts with the ending of KHI, so it's a direct continuation.

Not to take over this thread with KH discussion - but did you see the extended bonus ending for KHI or II? How come those things are always so much more mysterious and darker than the actual game?
Not yet, but I intend to when I start up KHI again in a bit
Old 01-05-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td25er View Post
i would bet some people (like myself) just want the high def graphics and new games..i really don't care about wifi and blue ray/ hd dvd (bigger hard drive is the only selling point about the PS3 for me) and would rather spend $400 on a 360 than $600 on a PS3.... "oh the PS3 is a better deal when you add the hd dvd player and wi fi , and blah blah blah"...some people just want the basics

this fact might help Microsoft ship a few extra 360 units
The 20GB unit is more comparable to the xbox though. I think for $100 difference, most people would just pick the system that has more games that they like.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:44 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Oaked Arrogant *******

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The President View Post
The wii will sell more, but will spend more time sitting on peoples shelves collecting dust rather than being played than any other console. It is a "gadget" system. Something a lot of people want, play for a while, the newness wears off, and then it sits there until company comes over. It will be like a $250 swimming pool for most people.

Non-traditional gamers won't be going out and buying a library of games to play. The Wii will have the lowest game to console ratio of the 3. I don't think you can call a console a success if you don't sell the games to go with it.

So even if the Wii console sales keep up with the others, I think you will have to dig a little deeper into other figures to really say Nintendo created something special.
I perfectly agree with prez. I mean, how many people have bought games other than wii sports?
Well, 450,000 people bought Zelda the first week, compared to 600,000 who bought the system. I think other games probably had sales too, and some people don't like Zelda. So, at least 80%.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Full Fledged Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The President View Post
The wii will sell more, but will spend more time sitting on peoples shelves collecting dust rather than being played than any other console. It is a "gadget" system. Something a lot of people want, play for a while, the newness wears off, and then it sits there until company comes over. It will be like a $250 swimming pool for most people.

Non-traditional gamers won't be going out and buying a library of games to play. The Wii will have the lowest game to console ratio of the 3. I don't think you can call a console a success if you don't sell the games to go with it.

So even if the Wii console sales keep up with the others, I think you will have to dig a little deeper into other figures to really say Nintendo created something special.
I perfectly agree with prez. I mean, how many people have bought games other than wii sports? To me, it seems like the system is just a novelty right now. Even the new wii game link I had posted earlier, it's pretty much just a controller with another demo version of wii sports.
I think a LOT of people bought games for the simple fact that the only way to obtain many of these systems was in a bundle. I, personally, have bought three games alongside my non-bundled unit. Poker,Madden and my kids wanted Rayman.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:38 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager

got tired of trying to finish gears of war with my brother, so I just joined an online co-op...ended up being with someone from the UK...I finished the game on casual last week...then over the weekend, I went through the game again on Hardcore in two long gaming sessions...

used half-time of the giants game to do the last part of marvel ultimate alliance on normal (the only difficulty available to start) by defeating Dr. Doom (with the power of Odin)...

I still have Sneak King to work on and G.R.A.W. to start...not to mention versus for Gears of War (plus Insane difficulty) and still lots of achievements on M.U.A.

Quote:
I like playing with myself
Old 01-08-2007, 02:43 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post
I still have Sneak King to work on and G.R.A.W. to start...not to mention versus for Gears of War (plus Insane difficulty) and still lots of achievements on M.U.A.
lol...is "Sneak King" even worth playing?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:44 PM
SOA

Quote:
got tired of trying to finish gears of war with my brother, so I just joined an online co-op...ended up being with someone from the UK...I finished the game on casual last week...then over the weekend, I went through the game again on Hardcore in two long gaming sessions...

used half-time of the giants game to do the last part of marvel ultimate alliance on normal (the only difficulty available to start) by defeating Dr. Doom (with the power of Odin)...

I cleaned our second bedroom/office and shopped for furniture (some awesome stuff out there - double massaging reclining couches where the middle seat folds down as a cup holder - sweet). I should play some games this weekend.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:49 PM

Favorite beer: Blue Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Quote:
lol...is "Sneak King" even worth playing?
it's funny for like 2 minutes. you have to get it if you like the king

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one