Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 6 US - Regulation and Financial Reporting
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 10-28-2016, 11:03 AM

I can't remotely begin to feel how that's even possible.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:31 AM
CAS

I can't imagine anybody taking 6 along with another exam. I've never studied as much for an exam as I did for 6, and that's the general feeling I get from everybody I talk to
Old 10-28-2016, 11:44 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for LC
College: Someplace far far away

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBM_ View Post
I can't imagine anybody taking 6 along with another exam. I've never studied as much for an exam as I did for 6, and that's the general feeling I get from everybody I talk to
Even considering the fact that I already studied intensively for 5, so basically I will just need to do some revision/ touch ups on that?
Old 10-28-2016, 12:17 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratches2k5 View Post
Even considering the fact that I already studied intensively for 5, so basically I will just need to do some revision/ touch ups on that?
How little are you planning on studying for 5? If you only do 1 PE for 5 per and study the other 6 days for exam 6, it could be doable, but I don't recommend it. The last 3 weeks for 6 I was studying over 5 hours/day, just because there is so much stuff that you need to memorize. Feel like taking a day completely off of it would be hard to do, but if you started studying for both now it improves the chances of being able to do it for sure.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:04 PM

I don't think you'll be able to retain the material for 5 and 6, no matter how well you know 5. 6 will overpower you and make you crawl back to 5
Old 10-28-2016, 01:05 PM

I dread joining this thread 2 months down the road.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratches2k5 View Post
There aren't that many calculation-type questions on this syllabus. It is roughly 1300 pages of details....details....details....details. It is comparable to opening up an encyclopedia and trying to memorize it.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:19 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

Yup. This exam is absolutely memorization of lists and other qualitative crap. I studied about 80 hours in the 4.5 days leading up to the exam and crammed everything I could. i pulled an all nighter the night of the exam and began studying around 7am the morning before and still forgot a lot of stuff on the exam. E.g., on Exam 5 remember the ULAE methods, particularly the ULAE counts methods? Imagine having that but on 4 different topics. Then add the complement of credibility stuff in terms of all the different types, the ins-and-outs, the pros and cons of each, etc. but x3. Then the individual risk stuff x3. That's like 6.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:35 AM
CAS

I agree with everyone else that you shouldn't double up next sitting, but if you really want to, why not double up with 5&7? I haven't taken 7, but I've heard it's a lot less material than 6 (which I just took, and I can't imagine taking alongside another exam), plus it could allow you to get FCAS sooner since both 7 and 9 are spring only
Old 11-04-2016, 02:10 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 6-US

I am in for the spring sitting

Tags
#hawaii2019, #topposteralwayspasses, aaaaaaaaaaaaaacas, and so it begins, ayyyyyyyyyycas, go rearendedslider, grape believes in u, hawaii, qwhipping