Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > Health and Fitness Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
SOA

3 nights with the CPAP so far. It's definitely an adjustment. I keep waking up during the night, as I shift and I end up with air leakage from the mask. I probably should have planned for that, and tried going to bed earlier, because so far I'm not getting much more sleep. But I'm definitely getting a better quality of sleep. For instance, it had been months since I could remember much in the way of dreaming, which tells me that I wasn't getting much REM sleep. (No surprise, since I stopped breathing 32 times an hour!) Now, I'm getting to REM sleep shockingly fast after dozing off.

I'm glad the technology has advanced so that we have APAP and not just CPAP. The APAP only uses the minimum necessary pressure. CPAP blasts you constantly with whatever pressure you'll need at your most obstructed point. That would be rough. The guy warned me I would wake up shortly after the first time I fell asleep, to the machine ramping up the pressure to get air in my lungs at the first sign of obstruction. He wasn't kidding.

It's surprising that the body adjusts so quickly to this. It takes some effort to exhale when air is being pushed into your nose (and mouth, if open). Then again, the APAP figures out your rhythm, and backs off the pressure for each exhalation. I've woken up in the morning and experienced this. It's pretty cool.

I'm not noticing night and day differences just yet, but there are noticeable ones. I still spend a fair amount of the day sleepy, but it's not the same "bone tired" that I've been walking around with for quite a while. It's more like my body is saying, "That sleeping thing is nice. We ought to go do more of it." But from what I'm reading, you first notice a real difference once you can sleep through the night with the machine. And then a more gradual improvement for weeks afterwards.
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM
SOA AAA

Excellent! Lower those cortisol levels!
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
Non-Actuary

Tip: If your mask only covers your nose and you tend to open your mouth while sleeping, consider a chin strap. The machine itself is very quiet, but if there's air leaking around the mask or out an open mouth, it can wake up your bed partner.
Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by <12parsecs View Post
Tip: If your mask only covers your nose and you tend to open your mouth while sleeping, consider a chin strap. The machine itself is very quiet, but if there's air leaking around the mask or out an open mouth, it can wake up your bed partner.
this

i started with the nose pillow but found i slept with my mouth open and the air was coming out my mouth. i switched to the full face after that instead of using the chin strap.
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
SOA

I'm already using a full face, because I deal with congestion a lot.

I'm going to try CPAP mask liners. They get expensive if you use them all the time, but I figure it's most important that I adjust to wearing the mask at all. Maybe I can forego them in the future. But if they would help me maintain a good seal, it will be worth it for now.

Last edited by Egghead; Yesterday at 03:44 PM..