Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 07-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for C4
College: Chambana
Favorite beer: Whatever you buy me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broner View Post
Never mind cities, it's significantly different between offices
Old 07-26-2013, 12:53 PM

I don't think they're hiring right now
Old 07-26-2013, 01:15 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777888 View Post
I don't think they're hiring right now
End of discussion.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for C4
College: Chambana
Favorite beer: Whatever you buy me

If they're a good candidate and they can put the saddle on them and line them up at the trough, the company will consider hiring them. There's a lot of turnover and someone they hired this fall will be gone in the spring and so on.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:58 PM

It's the Toronto office.

I was looking to come across someone who's already in their Actuarial Development Program so that I can get a list of potential questions they'll ask and prepare accordingly.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:11 AM
CAS SOA

You don't want to ever know your questions in advance unless they're technical questions. Preparing for specific questions ahead of time(assuming you had the insider tip) is never a good idea because A) they might know what you're up do and B) it might still not be the answer they're looking for. So go with a natural answer and if that doesn't please them, then you probably would have had a bad time at the job anyways.

It works out better this way in the long run. You want a girl to like you for who you are, even if you trick her into giving you a second date, you'll still be miserable pretending to be someone else.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Student View Post
You don't want to ever know your questions in advance unless they're technical questions. Preparing for specific questions ahead of time(assuming you had the insider tip) is never a good idea because A) they might know what you're up do and B) it might still not be the answer they're looking for. So go with a natural answer and if that doesn't please them, then you probably would have had a bad time at the job anyways.

It works out better this way in the long run. You want a girl to like you for who you are, even if you trick her into giving you a second date, you'll still be miserable pretending to be someone else.
This has got to be by far the stupidest thing I've read on here.

Everyone prepares stock answers to standard questions, nobody wings it. The fact that you prepared your answers tells them that you really want this job, if you go in there and wing it, they'll think you don't really want to this job.

With that being said, has anybody here interviewed for ADP for manulife or sunlife and can anybody share the questions they got in those interviews?
Old 07-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Kaner3339

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcount View Post

Everyone prepares stock answers to standard questions, nobody wings it. The fact that you prepared your answers tells them that you really want this job, if you go in there and wing it, they'll think you don't really want to this job.

With that being said, has anybody here interviewed for ADP for manulife or sunlife and can anybody share the questions they got in those interviews?
But if you're like water and are easily adaptable then they will think you're more self-assured and confident than someone who packages answers and flounders when things go unexpectedly.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:00 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcount View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
But if you're like water and are easily adaptable then they will think you're more self-assured and confident than someone who packages answers and flounders when things go unexpectedly.
You need to do both. These are two different skills and there's not much overlap. You need stock answers for the stock questions and you need to be able to ad-lib should the situation arise. This requires two different kinds of practice.

This is akin to performing your standard repertoire on the piano and then sight-reading an extra piece for the encore.

So yes, prepare answers for the most commonly asked interview questions, but in addition to that get a friend to write up some creative questions and then practice with your friend so you're good at impromptu responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:26 PM

I believe these companies only recruit in the fall, so you won't be interviewing until October or November.