Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-26-2013, 11:34 AM
glassjaws's Avatar
glassjaws glassjaws is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: 99 Franklin St.
Studying for C4
College: Chambana
Favorite beer: Whatever you buy me
Posts: 45,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broner View Post
Never mind cities, it's significantly different between offices
__________________
I am the background noise of life
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-26-2013, 12:53 PM
777888 777888 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 630
Default

I don't think they're hiring right now
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Forever Student's Avatar
Forever Student Forever Student is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777888 View Post
I don't think they're hiring right now
End of discussion.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-26-2013, 01:25 PM
glassjaws's Avatar
glassjaws glassjaws is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: 99 Franklin St.
Studying for C4
College: Chambana
Favorite beer: Whatever you buy me
Posts: 45,996
Default

If they're a good candidate and they can put the saddle on them and line them up at the trough, the company will consider hiring them. There's a lot of turnover and someone they hired this fall will be gone in the spring and so on.
__________________
I am the background noise of life
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-26-2013, 11:58 PM
fastcount fastcount is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 151
Default

It's the Toronto office.

I was looking to come across someone who's already in their Actuarial Development Program so that I can get a list of potential questions they'll ask and prepare accordingly.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-27-2013, 12:11 AM
Forever Student's Avatar
Forever Student Forever Student is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,114
Default

You don't want to ever know your questions in advance unless they're technical questions. Preparing for specific questions ahead of time(assuming you had the insider tip) is never a good idea because A) they might know what you're up do and B) it might still not be the answer they're looking for. So go with a natural answer and if that doesn't please them, then you probably would have had a bad time at the job anyways.

It works out better this way in the long run. You want a girl to like you for who you are, even if you trick her into giving you a second date, you'll still be miserable pretending to be someone else.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-27-2013, 08:43 PM
fastcount fastcount is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Student View Post
You don't want to ever know your questions in advance unless they're technical questions. Preparing for specific questions ahead of time(assuming you had the insider tip) is never a good idea because A) they might know what you're up do and B) it might still not be the answer they're looking for. So go with a natural answer and if that doesn't please them, then you probably would have had a bad time at the job anyways.

It works out better this way in the long run. You want a girl to like you for who you are, even if you trick her into giving you a second date, you'll still be miserable pretending to be someone else.
This has got to be by far the stupidest thing I've read on here.

Everyone prepares stock answers to standard questions, nobody wings it. The fact that you prepared your answers tells them that you really want this job, if you go in there and wing it, they'll think you don't really want to this job.

With that being said, has anybody here interviewed for ADP for manulife or sunlife and can anybody share the questions they got in those interviews?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Kaner3339
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcount View Post
This has got to be by far the stupidest thing I've read on here.

Everyone prepares stock answers to standard questions, nobody wings it. The fact that you prepared your answers tells them that you really want this job, if you go in there and wing it, they'll think you don't really want to this job.

With that being said, has anybody here interviewed for ADP for manulife or sunlife and can anybody share the questions they got in those interviews?
But if you're like water and are easily adaptable then they will think you're more self-assured and confident than someone who packages answers and flounders when things go unexpectedly.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is online now
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 48,827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcount View Post
This has got to be by far the stupidest thing I've read on here.

Everyone prepares stock answers to standard questions, nobody wings it. The fact that you prepared your answers tells them that you really want this job, if you go in there and wing it, they'll think you don't really want to this job.

With that being said, has anybody here interviewed for ADP for manulife or sunlife and can anybody share the questions they got in those interviews?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
But if you're like water and are easily adaptable then they will think you're more self-assured and confident than someone who packages answers and flounders when things go unexpectedly.
You need to do both. These are two different skills and there's not much overlap. You need stock answers for the stock questions and you need to be able to ad-lib should the situation arise. This requires two different kinds of practice.

This is akin to performing your standard repertoire on the piano and then sight-reading an extra piece for the encore.

So yes, prepare answers for the most commonly asked interview questions, but in addition to that get a friend to write up some creative questions and then practice with your friend so you're good at impromptu responses.
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-27-2013, 09:26 PM
777888 777888 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 630
Default

I believe these companies only recruit in the fall, so you won't be interviewing until October or November.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.20071 seconds with 9 queries