Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-06-2018, 04:40 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Wisconsin
Favorite beer: Ale, Lager, you name it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
Yeah I definitely need to continue moving the difficulty up. I'm considering skipping a level again, I think the next two are King and Emperor. With the ramp up in AI bonuses I expect to be steamrolled on Emperor but why not?

I'm hoping Emperor will be right for playing an optimal strategy and King will be right for altering strategies, like randomizing my civ and trying to change up the social policies according to my civ's bonuses. I feel like I'm already in a state where I'll always pick the same pattern of social policies: mix of tradition and liberty at the start followed by maxing out rationalism the moment it's available.
There are a number of optimizing strategies, including building only four cities, going only Tradition, then 1-2 in something, then Rationalism. You can focus only on science, and the rest will take care of itself. You should at some point start saving your great scientists to "bulb" after getting the social policy that maximizes their value. Playing on Emperor is a good level for me - I never cared for being so far behind for the whole game. Personally, I love a good naval game - rushing to frigates and leveling them up to 3 range is a lot of fun.

If you want a much more balanced game, which changes just about everything in the game, try adding the Vox Populi mod. Prince never seemed so tough!

Personally, I've moved on to Civ VI; it would be tough to go back.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:55 PM

I really liked Microsoft’s e3 conference. DMC5 and new Battletoads!

As far as Sony’s conference, if I felt anything from it, it’s that what they showed of The Last of Us 2 reduces my desire to play it. Excited for RE2 in January though. January has been RE’s month the last few years except for 2018.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:45 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers Nerd View Post
There are a number of optimizing strategies, including building only four cities, going only Tradition, then 1-2 in something, then Rationalism. You can focus only on science, and the rest will take care of itself. You should at some point start saving your great scientists to "bulb" after getting the social policy that maximizes their value. Playing on Emperor is a good level for me - I never cared for being so far behind for the whole game. Personally, I love a good naval game - rushing to frigates and leveling them up to 3 range is a lot of fun.

If you want a much more balanced game, which changes just about everything in the game, try adding the Vox Populi mod. Prince never seemed so tough!

Personally, I've moved on to Civ VI; it would be tough to go back.
tldr version: Any pointers on managing happiness?

The rest:
I'm just hitting the modern age in an Emperor game, I'm about an age ahead in tech (started getting "so and so has reached the industrial age!" popups as I hit modern). When I read about winning on deity everything suggests you need stupid high population, like 40 in capital and 3 other cities in the high 20s, but once I got my capital around 27 I started to stymie my own growth because my happiness is hovering at zero at all times.

I can't build any more happiness buildings, I even built a wonder that provides +10 happiness, but if I grow another population I'll go negative. This happened to a lesser extent in my Prince game, by the time I hit Ideologies I end up picking solely ones that boost happiness because all my production is going to hell from unhappy people. The difference is I had started a war by this point on Prince but in this game I haven't even upgraded units past Crossbows because I've been at peace the whole game and wanted to focus on other things, but even without a war I can't control the unhappy people.

Should note I picked random map type and ended up on archipelago, so lack of available luxuries is certainly part of the problem. Also archipelago makes maintaining relations with city-states almost impossible imo. The barbarians have nowhere to spawn so you don't get quests to help the city-states. The only quests that seem to pop-up are for producing the most faith, which is BS because the AIs are faith whores. I'm attributing the poor quest options to just bad luck though, I haven't found anything suggesting that the game skews the quests in favor of other civs' strong suits.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:54 AM
CAS

Fwiw I feel like I've got a strong handle on everything else. I have the most science, culture, tourism, social policies (though unfair advantage here from being Poland*), and population in the game. I should end up winning barring something strange happening, like Venice allying with all the city-states and winning diplomatically. My lead definitely dwindled though, I shot way ahead around the Renaissance and then plateaued in the Industrial Age. Seems like being smarter than the AI pushed me ahead early but then lack of access to strategical resources (dumb luck or the game puts them farther away from you on higher difficulties?) and unhappiness means they eventually started catching up because I couldn't grow anymore.

*Big fan of how good Poland is.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:47 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
I really liked Microsoftís e3 conference. DMC5 and new Battletoads!

As far as Sonyís conference, if I felt anything from it, itís that what they showed of The Last of Us 2 reduces my desire to play it. Excited for RE2 in January though. January has been REís month the last few years except for 2018.
When LGBT scenes are too rough to handle opt into using the powers of the devil instead.

-Riley
Old 06-13-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
When LGBT scenes are too rough to handle opt into using the powers of the devil instead.

-Riley
No problem with the LGBT scene (other than it was too obvious). The character model for Ellie just seemed janky. I expect more polish from Naughty Dog.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:44 PM

Lots to look forward to from E3!

In no particular order, these are probably auto-buys for me:

The Last of Us Part II
Death Stranding
Resident Evil 2
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Pokemon Let's go Pikachu
Old 06-13-2018, 01:26 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
No problem with the LGBT scene (other than it was too obvious). The character model for Ellie just seemed janky. I expect more polish from Naughty Dog.
I guess I'm of the opinion that a mediocre Naughty Dog game will still blow most out of the water. I can't imagine the storytelling going down hill enough to affect the game.

-Riley
Old 06-13-2018, 02:39 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
Hey, new to the forum. Looks like most of what I've read so far on this thread relates to console / storyline adventure games -- anyone play esports titles? Or is there a separate thread for that? Could be fun to play some Overwatch(PC) / Heroes of the storm / LoL with some AO folk.
Used to play those (except for HOTS), but I play Rocket League and PUBG mainly right now.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
Lots to look forward to from E3!

In no particular order, these are probably auto-buys for me:

The Last of Us Part II
Death Stranding
Resident Evil 2
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Pokemon Let's go Pikachu
With absolutely no knowledge except 3 player couch co-op, Iím going to add Battletoads! My wife and I both screamed in excitement at that. Also, Devil May Cry 5 (the odd number ones are all good). Also, Tunic and Captain Spirit.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one