Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:13 PM

Is anyone planning on picking up Persona 5? The reviews are looking really good and it seems like it's been a while since there has been a really good jrpg.

Manipulating women...now THAT's hard. Probably because most woman have no clue what they like.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
Is anyone planning on picking up Persona 5? The reviews are looking really good and it seems like it's been a while since there has been a really good jrpg.
Got my copy coming in from Amazon on day 1.

I really liked Persona 3 but I skipped 4, so I'm ready for a new one. Also Tokyo Mirage Sessions on Wii U was a lot like Persona and I quite liked that a lot.

I do wish it was on Switch though.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:30 PM

I want to pick it up, but haven't decided yet. Too much awesome stuff out right now. Which stinks because we had a drought of garbage over the winter.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:12 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Batch Brewing

100% to Persona 5. I was going to take a day off of work to play it, but now looking like I'll just extend the following weekend. I do this about once a year for my favorite / most anticipated games. Gotta go pre-order/download on PS4 soon. Assuming I can do that.

Was hoping to knock out a few on the queue before then, but probably not. Making more progress in DOOM, which is still amazing me. What a great shooter.

Also, I'm planning to get a 27" 1440p monitor.. thinking I stick with IPS or VA panel and get something with 75hz native, instead of going with G-sync (~145 hz?) and having to go with a TN panel. I'll just try to push 75 fps without the g-sync.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:39 PM

I'm particularly excited for Persona 5 because it seems to be an old fashioned, honest JRPG, and I need one given what a bummer I found FFXV to be.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:46 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronus View Post
I've been really tempted to check it out as well. As someone that tried Persona 4 Golden on Vita and didn't get far enough to get to the first battle, I'm thinking it's probably a bad idea

Also, knowing Ni No Kuni 2 is coming out this year, I'm not sure I should risk "burning out" on my JRPG itch on a whim when I'm much more eager for NNK2.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:27 PM
SOA

I definitely won't be buying Persona 5 now...
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2017, 05:25 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

A "Gray Joy-Con" sounds a little kinky
Old 03-31-2017, 10:52 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Batch Brewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
I've been really tempted to check it out as well. As someone that tried Persona 4 Golden on Vita and didn't get far enough to get to the first battle, I'm thinking it's probably a bad idea

Also, knowing Ni No Kuni 2 is coming out this year, I'm not sure I should risk "burning out" on my JRPG itch on a whim when I'm much more eager for NNK2.
I burn out on NNK much faster than ones like FFXV or Persona.. it's just paced slower.

Persona games do have a long build-up of character/story at the start. So, I think you may need to wait til you're in a mood to sit down for two hours and just enjoy the animation and stuff to get you through the start. But once you have daily life going, you have decisions every day which makes it feel like you're always doing something. I feel like I was spending a lot of time walking long distances in NNK doing relatively mundane quests. I do like that game as well, though. I don't mind slow JRPGs.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:56 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
I burn out on NNK much faster than ones like FFXV or Persona.. it's just paced slower.

Persona games do have a long build-up of character/story at the start. So, I think you may need to wait til you're in a mood to sit down for two hours and just enjoy the animation and stuff to get you through the start. But once you have daily life going, you have decisions every day which makes it feel like you're always doing something. I feel like I was spending a lot of time walking long distances in NNK doing relatively mundane quests. I do like that game as well, though. I don't mind slow JRPGs.
Interesting - I never felt NNK was "mundane." The story was so engaging, AND it never became a walking simulator for 2 hours like P4 was at the beginning

I'm honestly excited about NNK2 because they decided to change the gameplay up entirely; scrapping the Pokemon combat for more traditional JRPG feel (from what I've seen so far).

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one