Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #23381  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:24 AM
General Apathy's Avatar
General Apathy General Apathy is offline
Revered
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: St. Kitts
Studying for the Beach
Favorite beer: Carib
Posts: 33,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Apathy View Post
The new savage map is where the entire BR industry is going. Having played that and Fortnite and Radical Heights, the whole midgame of running for 15 minutes is dead. People want to loot, fight and win.

Radical heights is a good game for a brand new beta.
Not sure if anyone tried it but the developers folded yesterday.

__________________
Spoiler:
***k Juan
"whore-balls"
curls for the girls

Spoiler:


]
Reply With Quote
  #23382  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:28 AM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 16,080
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
You beat BoTW in 5 days? You must not be an easily distracted person. I was constantly veering off course finding Koroks and shrines. That's like 80% of the game.
Not easily distracted at all...I played for 12 hours a day on average Took the day after exam 9 as PTO...Lots of BTOW straight.

I didn't find that many korok seeds, maybe 30 or 40. As far as shrines I got enough to fill up my first row of hearts, and one and a half wheels of stamina. I think I did all main quests...

The issue was most of the times going through shrines doesn't feel rewarding. You can get some great loot, but they all break way too quickly. Kind of made it a hollow feeling. Getting the Master Sword was nice.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.
Reply With Quote
  #23383  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:30 AM
redprinceton's Avatar
redprinceton redprinceton is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 18,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
Not easily distracted at all...I played for 12 hours a day on average Took the day after exam 9 as PTO...Lots of BTOW straight.

I didn't find that many korok seeds, maybe 30 or 40. As far as shrines I got enough to fill up my first row of hearts, and one and a half wheels of stamina. I think I did all main quests...

The issue was most of the times going through shrines doesn't feel rewarding. You can get some great loot, but they all break way too quickly. Kind of made it a hollow feeling. Getting the Master Sword was nice.
IMO the reward from Shrines was getting to do puzzles.
Reply With Quote
  #23384  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:37 AM
Childish Gambino's Avatar
Childish Gambino Childish Gambino is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24,848
Default

I also felt like the swords and shields broke way too easily in BOTW. What annoyed me is the wooden sword and better swords all seemed to have the same failure rate. I got all 120 shrines but never beat Gannon. I should probably do that. Problem is, my son talked me into buying Lego City Undercover and I haven't played anything else since. Almost done with it though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald J Trump
I was going to fire Comey knowing, there was no good time to do it. And in fact when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story
Reply With Quote
  #23385  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:41 AM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 16,080
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
IMO the reward from Shrines was getting to do puzzles.
Meh. The satisfaction of the puzzles in previous zelda games was that you actually made some progress. You advanced the dungeon so you can face the boss, found the way to a key item that you'll need...etc. There is a tangible feeling of progress. If I wanted to just solve puzzles I'd play sudoku imo.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.
Reply With Quote
  #23386  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:43 AM
Polak's Avatar
Polak Polak is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
Not easily distracted at all...I played for 12 hours a day on average Took the day after exam 9 as PTO...Lots of BTOW straight.
Been there. Know the feeling. No judgement here

Quote:
I didn't find that many korok seeds, maybe 30 or 40. As far as shrines I got enough to fill up my first row of hearts, and one and a half wheels of stamina. I think I did all main quests...
I found 300+ seeds before finishing. The dense map was what I found most enjoyable. Any time I tried to do something productive I'd get distracted by suspicious looking trees and roam off course.

Quote:
The issue was most of the times going through shrines doesn't feel rewarding. You can get some great loot, but they all break way too quickly. Kind of made it a hollow feeling. Getting the Master Sword was nice.
At first I thought the constant weapon breaking would be annoying, but I actually loved it. It forces variety and, at least in the early game, makes you improvise when you're running low. It's not like most RPGs where you basically just smith/enchant a single weapon to the max and and then use it for the whole game.
Reply With Quote
  #23387  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:45 AM
Polak's Avatar
Polak Polak is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
Meh. The satisfaction of the puzzles in previous zelda games was that you actually made some progress. You advanced the dungeon so you can face the boss, found the way to a key item that you'll need...etc. There is a tangible feeling of progress. If I wanted to just solve puzzles I'd play sudoku imo.
I can agree with this, scraping the dungeons in favor of miniature optional shrines was an odd choice.
Reply With Quote
  #23388  
Old 05-15-2018, 04:30 PM
mlschop's Avatar
mlschop mlschop is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 36,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
I can agree with this, scraping the dungeons in favor of miniature optional shrines was an odd choice.
I'm really curious what the next Zelda game will look like. Will it be BOTW2, a more traditional Zelda game, or some blend of the two?

Honestly, I'm not sure BOTW ends up as beloved as it is if it looked exactly the same, but just had 8 sequential dungeons like previous mainline games. The re-imagination of the franchise is what attracted a lot of players.

I think the shrines were supposed to pique the players interest to explore and go off the main quest line. For people like me (that loved BOTW), the challenge/reward was enough, but I can understand that others want more. I think it would be more interesting if the orbs could be traded in for much more than just health/stamina. Why not boost to other stats (speed, stealth, strength)? Then players might be motivated to seek more out because they want to boost other stats and try various builds.

All that being said, I'm not sure I'm itching for a BOTW2 if it's just another 120 shrines on a new map. Combat and visual engine can stay the same. Maybe add consumables to repair broken weapons, as that is one of the bigger complaints.
Reply With Quote
  #23389  
Old 05-15-2018, 04:42 PM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 16,080
Default

I definitely enjoyed the open world aspect, but I do believe it detracted from the Dungeons.

Dungeons are done sequentially, so they can give you some loot within a dungeon that you need to progress it. e.g. hookshot, bow whatever. But in previous games since you have to do the dungeons mostly in order, they can incorporate other items into the puzzles. The water temple could require you to have a bow, but not hoverboots. The shadow temple could go crazy and require everything.

I think I would love a BotW style game with dungeons that you can't necessarily complete unless you have items you find in other dungeons. maybe that would be frustrating but would definitely add to the sense of discovery, and make finding something all the more impactful. You find an item in a shrine and all of a sudden you can now access a new area of a totally different dungeon that you previously couldn't. Maybe make a few different solutions viable so the players aren't totally restricted on which path they have to take.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.
Reply With Quote
  #23390  
Old 05-15-2018, 04:50 PM
mlschop's Avatar
mlschop mlschop is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 36,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
I definitely enjoyed the open world aspect, but I do believe it detracted from the Dungeons.

Dungeons are done sequentially, so they can give you some loot within a dungeon that you need to progress it. e.g. hookshot, bow whatever. But in previous games since you have to do the dungeons mostly in order, they can incorporate other items into the puzzles. The water temple could require you to have a bow, but not hoverboots. The shadow temple could go crazy and require everything.

I think I would love a BotW style game with dungeons that you can't necessarily complete unless you have items you find in other dungeons. maybe that would be frustrating but would definitely add to the sense of discovery, and make finding something all the more impactful. You find an item in a shrine and all of a sudden you can now access a new area of a totally different dungeon that you previously couldn't. Maybe make a few different solutions viable so the players aren't totally restricted on which path they have to take.
I think having sequential dungeons makes it easier to main line and avoid exploring

The LTTP sequel, A Links Between Worlds on 3DS, took an interesting approach in that it had the dungeons that required special weapons to complete/proceed, but you could rent (until death) or buy (unlimited use) every one of those weapons from the beginning of the game. So while there was an ideal route to take, I believe you could complete dungeons in any order you wanted.

I could see BOTW giving something like this a try...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.46764 seconds with 10 queries