Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-15-2018, 05:02 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
I think having sequential dungeons makes it easier to main line and avoid exploring
I 100% agree, but I think given that BotW was so open world, that caused them to deprecate dungeons, since you could go to any divine beast in any order. I wasn't happy with the tradeoff is all I'm saying because most of the exploration didn't feel that satisfactory to me.

Finding a random shrine in the wild with the same exact aesthetic look and feel just for another quarter heart piece of stamina wheel just didn't do it for me. Occasionally you'd also get a new sword or bow, but that would just break after a very short amount of time, so it felt kind of meaningless.

I adored the overworld, but finding koroks and doing the same arrow mini-game over and over also didn't really grab me. My favorite parts were finding things fun things to do in remote places, like the shield surfing girl, or the mazes. That was a lot of fun, but those kind of things were too sparse.

I'm saying my ideal BotW sequel would have the same kind overworld exploration. But more actual dungeons and less shrines. And those dungeons should ideally be more traditional. i.e. each one with a unique aesthetic look and feel. You advance through the dungeon, certain paths are blocked off or otherwise inaccessible, until you get a key item that let's you progress.

I think I'd even really like it if some dungeons are harder/impossible to complete unless you have certain key items from other dungeons/shrines/overworld quests. But that may be too ambitious to pull off properly.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:15 AM

I am so close to having a functional Infinity Gauntlet in God of War.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:29 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Picked up SSX 3 (legacy XBox 360) for the X Box One. I really like the SSX series, but I prefer Tricky to this one. But, hey, any port in a storm....
Old 05-25-2018, 03:14 PM
CAS

DS remastered was delivered today! I'm hyped to play it this weekend. I only played it long after the multiplayer scene was nearly dead. Should be fun to play it with a vibrant community once again.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:15 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
Instead over the weekend I took a 2nd shot at Civ 5... Started a new game on Prince...
Well I'm almost finished, decided not to start any wars early this time and aim for a science victory. I now have like 4 techs left to research and I think only 1 or 2 AIs have hit the industrial age (large map, so 8 or 10 other civs?). For a difficulty that's supposed to be "even" the computers seem kinda dumb. I finally started a war last night because it's hard to resist trampling other civ's lancers and musketeers with my tanks and bazookas

Also I just realized last night that for the increasing costs of great people the artists, writers, and musicians are in a separate bucket from the scientists, engineers, and merchants. I had been specifically holding back everything but scientists to try and get more of them, so I significantly handicapped my culture the whole game. Oops. Also realized last night that you can get culture bonuses by organizing your great works in specific buildings, so doubly messed up my culture.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:38 AM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Still on Witcher 3, not sure when I can finish the game (all quests + DLC), maybe in a year lol
Old 06-01-2018, 09:46 AM
CAS

Yeah Witcher 3 is long. I didn't touch any of the DLCs and it still took 70+ hours (maybe longer?). Not sure when, or even if, I'll come back to it for the DLCs. Blood and Wine has great reviews too, so it seems like a shame not to play it given how good the main game is.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:47 AM
CAS

Studying for Jazz Piano
Favorite beer: Founders Dirty Bastard

I'm buying Cultist Simulator this weekend because it looks like completely my shit. will report back.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:50 AM
CAS

Oh also from Civ 5, there was no aluminum on my land, but one of my neighbors had about half the world's supply. You can't build the parts for the science victory without aluminum, so he's the one I ended up invading. Typically I start wars just for the lolz, I don't think I've ever started a war for practical reasons in a civ game before. I love that something like that can happen, adds a whole extra level of realism where wars can be started over something like oil.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:54 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
Oh also from Civ 5, there was no aluminum on my land, but one of my neighbors had about half the world's supply. You can't build the parts for the science victory without aluminum, so he's the one I ended up invading. Typically I start wars just for the lolz, I don't think I've ever started a war for practical reasons in a civ game before. I love that something like that can happen, adds a whole extra level of realism where wars can be started over something like oil.
These are definitely the greatest moments... fighting wars over defensible boundaries and/or scarce resources is hugely entertaining, especially when you get the difficulty scaled appropriately so you're having to really focus

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one