Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-09-2018, 02:54 PM
CAS

I'm tempted to pick up one of the little HP Spectre x360's. My primary home computer is a MacBookPro, and a I have a super-cheap Yoga that's underpowered for most stuff, but is light, and serves my occasional need for a windows box, and as something to travel with. I'm tempted to upgrade that to a computer that's not so painfully slow.

Mostly thinking I'd use it for web browsing, maybe some email, and perhaps movies on long flights.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
Serious question. Why start a search for a quality computer monitor at Costco? Is the quality of the monitor less important than the quality of the perceived deal?

-Riley
Costco gives me both

Costco and Amazon are my two favorite places to spend my heard earned cash.

You have no proof that a monitor from Costco is of low quality. My experience would indicate otherwise. If they sold crappy items they would get inundated with lots of returns because of their no-questions-asked return policy. Ergo, your assumption that their monitors are of poor quality is false, IMHO.

I have complete faith that Costco sells quality products at a fair price. It is not always the best price, but I am convinced that it is never a bad price. Compare that to Best Buy that might have a computer monitor listed for $400 and on a certain week of the year it goes on sale for $300. Costco might sell that monitor for $325 every day of the year.

I believe that Costco does NOT require vendors to supply them with substandard products so that they can advertise a low price. Sears has done that for decades. I generally am not disappointed with things I have bought from Costco. If I had something that I thought was substandard, Costco will give me a refund with no questions asked. That's has developed a trust of Costco for me, and I have spent well over six figures at Costco over the last 10 or 12 years.

So yeah, I start out a search for a monitor at Costco, because I would start out a search for virtually anything at a costco: Furniture, tires, milk, hard drives, microwaves, caskets, wagyu beef, mustard, scotch, ink cartridges, socks, charcoal, and freakin' computer monitors.

Last edited by DeepPurple; 11-09-2018 at 03:37 PM..
Old 11-09-2018, 04:10 PM
CAS

Studying for AINS 21 & 22

I'm thinking of upgrading to a 32" monitor. LG has one on Amazon for $197. I'm not a gamer so I don't care about refresh rates. But if I decide I want something better than 1920x1080 resolution I might hold out until prices come down, as the cost is twice as much.

ACER has a 2560x1440 for $270. Some lesser-known brand is $250. Hmmm, maybe black friday can improve on this.

Last edited by Klaymen; 11-09-2018 at 04:14 PM..
Old 11-09-2018, 05:17 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaymen View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading to a 32" monitor. LG has one on Amazon for $197. I'm not a gamer so I don't care about refresh rates. But if I decide I want something better than 1920x1080 resolution I might hold out until prices come down, as the cost is twice as much.

ACER has a 2560x1440 for $270. Some lesser-known brand is $250. Hmmm, maybe black friday can improve on this.
You can probably find a 4k monitor around 28-32" for sub $300 at the right black friday deal.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:20 PM
CAS

If anyone is looking for a good gaming mouse, amazon and a few others are selling the g502 for $35. I got this one last year after the death adder and g pro didn't feel right for me. 10/10 would buy again.

There's a new version out called the g502 "hero" for $80 that doesn't seem much different.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:39 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf58 View Post
If anyone is looking for a good gaming mouse, amazon and a few others are selling the g502 for $35. I got this one last year after the death adder and g pro didn't feel right for me. 10/10 would buy again.

There's a new version out called the g502 "hero" for $80 that doesn't seem much different.
Snagged one -- thanks!

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:06 AM
SOA

Studying for MLC
Favorite beer: Blue Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I'm tempted to pick up one of the little HP Spectre x360's. My primary home computer is a MacBookPro, and a I have a super-cheap Yoga that's underpowered for most stuff, but is light, and serves my occasional need for a windows box, and as something to travel with. I'm tempted to upgrade that to a computer that's not so painfully slow.

Mostly thinking I'd use it for web browsing, maybe some email, and perhaps movies on long flights.
I could have just been unlucky with my HP purchase, but I would highly recommend another brand. My Spectre started giving me bluescreen after bluescreen after bluecreen after only a couple months of use and their tech support was terrible. I will say when it was working correctly it was an excellent laptop though, but I will never buy HP again for anything.
ERM Module
APC
Old 11-12-2018, 09:53 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaymen View Post

What size do you have now? I have two 27" monitors and they are more than enough. I can't imagine 32" providing any added benefit.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:05 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trxlr View Post
I could have just been unlucky with my HP purchase, but I would highly recommend another brand. My Spectre started giving me bluescreen after bluescreen after bluecreen after only a couple months of use and their tech support was terrible. I will say when it was working correctly it was an excellent laptop though, but I will never buy HP again for anything.
Thanks. I'll definitely look for reliability reviews.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:25 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

Someone offered to help figure out upgrades so here we go.

I built this rig in 2014 for the purpose of gaming on 1080P @ 60Hz. It served its purpose well back then, now I've moved on to gaming at 1080P @ 144Hz and it is definitely struggling to keep up with AAA games. The most obvious bottlenecks are the GPU and the Hard Drive, would I need to upgrade other things as well? What would be a good GPU for 1080P @ 144Hz?

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X Motherboard
Processor Inter Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Hard Drive WD Black Series 1 TB 64MB cache
RAM G.Skill ripjaws x series 8gb (2x4GB)
GPU ASUS GTX 770