Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-15-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyzinc View Post
garbage truck drivers make $60,000 + in north texas. they don't even have to get out of the truck! they have those big robot arms that pickup the trashbin. and to think i went to college and grad school...

i have a computer geek friend who went AWOL in peru after the dot com bust. years later, he decides to work again and within two weeks is interviewing with microsoft, amazon, etc. for $100k jobs. and he was a C+ student at a party school in Louisiana.

after the pre-work to be an actuary, in terms of money and glory, the actuarial career is a joke.
You have been a member since 2002, so that gives me the assumption that you must be an FSA or very close, and are earning 100k+. The glory of the actuarial profession is a joke. I have never heard about the actuarial profession being a well respected one outside of anything to do with insurance. Since working in the field, my opinion of this has not changed but has been further reinforced. The times that i start to explain what i do the only thing that people latch onto and go oh is the fact that it does pay well. As far as programming i have a friend that went to work for microsoft and makes 130 in his second year with them. I think anytime you can land a microsoft, amazon, or google job as a programmer you doing well. Now if your look at the programmers in insurance that have good knowledge of vba etc, i don't know a single one that is in the 100+ for <5 years of experience. Don't know much about ones with +5 years.

There is no glory in the actuarial profession. If i did not become an actuary, i would of gone for something in the medical field like optometrist, peditrist, or dentist. They put in 4 years of school come out with 100k in debt and make 100-200. I still prefer my choice of actuary but the thought of living anywhere sounds nice.

Glory in the actuarial profession will continue to be a joke until somone proves otherwise to me.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:01 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Russian Imperial Stout

from reading money's post i just remembered a friend who worked in actuarial consulting for a while, then moved on. he had some systems understanding, so he morphed into an actuarial systems director-type. big money in big health insurers. then he went on to work on business metrics and strategic planning. really really big money there.

"Excited... ," the key for him is that he's a very ambitious, salesy, and provides his companies with big bang very quickly. oh, and he moves wherever the jobs are. 5 different cities in just 5 years!
Old 02-17-2007, 10:58 PM

This profession sure as hell beats engineering that's for sure.

Last edited by Dreamer; 02-17-2007 at 11:02 PM..
Old 02-17-2007, 11:26 PM
CAS

Studying for CAS 7
Favorite beer: Wachusett Blueberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyzinc View Post

i have a computer geek friend who went AWOL in peru after the dot com bust. years later, he decides to work again and within two weeks is interviewing with microsoft, amazon, etc. for $100k jobs. and he was a C+ student at a party school in Louisiana.
Having the talent to be a programmer at Microsoft > Having the talent to pass actuarial exams. Grades mean nothing. I am a C+ student also and I'm in the actuarial profession...
Old 02-18-2007, 09:44 AM

Hi,

Okay, but some non-actuaries want ex-actuaries to stick to number crunching. Is there anyone in the actuarial profession who agrees with this prejudice?

Jay
Old 02-19-2007, 08:35 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Russian Imperial Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
This profession sure as hell beats engineering that's for sure.
yuppers.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money View Post
If i did not become an actuary, i would of gone for something in the medical field like optometrist, peditrist, or dentist. They put in 4 years of school come out with 100k in debt and make 100-200. I still prefer my choice of actuary but the thought of living anywhere sounds nice.
In what country do these doctors get to practice with only 4 years of school?

I know people my age (early 30s) who are doctors, have their degrees, and are STILL working 100 hours a week for no pay while completing their residencies.

I've worked less for more money than they've made for 6 years or so now.

Not to mention, I don't have to touch people's feet, mouths, or private areas.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma Karuna View Post
In what country do these doctors get to practice with only 4 years of school?

I know people my age (early 30s) who are doctors, have their degrees, and are STILL working 100 hours a week for no pay while completing their residencies.

I've worked less for more money than they've made for 6 years or so now.

Not to mention, I don't have to touch people's feet, mouths, or private areas.

"I strongly recommend that every dental school graduate do at least one year of residency. Unlike medical school where you are generally required to take at least three years of residency prior to being able to practice, a dentist can begin treating patients right out of dental school. "

http://www.dentalcomfortzone.com/tem...p?TemplateID=8

I can find the same quotes for optometry, etc. Don't know the people that you know, but the dentists and etc started getting paid a doctors salary out of school. You can call it residency for a year, but they are not getting paid like a resident. They spend their 3rd and 4th year of school working on patients and also still learning in the classroom.

I don't know any doctor (not referring to M.D.'s but the dentists, optomotrists, foot doctor, etc.) that work 100 hours a week. I know a couple that work 50 hours a week and that is more the regular 5 day a week schedule plus saturday. Furthermore i have never even heard of a dentist, optomotrist working 100 hours a week ever. A 16-17 hour day, 6 days a week? 8am-midnight 6 DAYS A WEEK????????

In the long run, the average Dentist, does better and has a better work environment then the average Actuary. (Environment:Work less and make more). Not having to touch people though as an Actuary.

Last edited by Money; 02-20-2007 at 09:32 AM..
Old 02-20-2007, 09:38 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money View Post
"I strongly recommend that every dental school graduate do at least one year of residency. Unlike medical school where you are generally required to take at least three years of residency prior to being able to practice, a dentist can begin treating patients right out of dental school. "

http://www.dentalcomfortzone.com/tem...p?TemplateID=8

I can find the same quotes for optometry, etc. Don't know the people that you know, but the dentists and etc started getting paid a doctors salary out of school. You can call it residency for a year, but they are not getting paid like a resident. They spend their 3rd and 4th year of school working on patients and also still learning in the classroom.

I don't know any doctor (not referring to M.D.'s but the dentists, optomotrists, foot doctor, etc.) that work 100 hours a week. I know a couple that work 50 hours a week and that is more the regular 5 day a week schedule plus saturday. Furthermore i have never even heard of a dentist, optomotrist working 100 hours a week ever. A 16-17 hour day, 6 days a week? 8am-midnight 6 DAYS A WEEK????????

In the long run, the average Dentist, does better and has a better work environment then the average Actuary. (Environment:Work less and make more). Not having to touch people though as an Actuary.
Then become a dentist.

I know I, for one, would be bored out of my skull - I hated biology, anatomy&physiology, etc., in school. It's not entirely a $$ equation.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVLCIV View Post
Then become a dentist.

I know I, for one, would be bored out of my skull - I hated biology, anatomy&physiology, etc., in school. It's not entirely a $$ equation.
Read my original post. I am happy being an actuary, i was just pointing out jobs in the medical profession.

It comes down to what a person personally enjoys, but the workload of established people that are dentists, optometrists, and etc is less then actuaries.

No one says its an $$ equation.
The equation is ($$*workload)(.3)+(Personal satisfaction)(.7)

SirVLCIV you post enough, that you should read the entire thread first, and when was this a question about how you liked biology, or anatomy. Ehh SirVLCIV we all know that you enjoy the actuarial profession otherwise you wouldn't do the commute, tell me more about your fiancee, please?