Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 06-13-2018, 02:34 PM

Amazon has 6-month Xbox Game Pass 50% off ($30). Microsoft is offering first month of Game Pass for $1. So, I now will have Game Pass for 7 months for $31.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:44 PM

Just learned that Resident Evil 2 is going to be a $60 game with a $70 deluxe edition. I’m a bit disappointed, since RE0 & RE1, RE4-6 PS4 remakes were $30 at launch I think. I know they weren’t $60. Granted this is a ground up remake, but expectations were set!
Old 06-13-2018, 03:43 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Definitely gonna pick up Fornite on Switch!
Old 06-14-2018, 08:45 AM
CAS

Elder Scrolls VI

I know they also said it'll be awhile but still.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:22 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
No problem with the LGBT scene (other than it was too obvious). The character model for Ellie just seemed janky. I expect more polish from Naughty Dog.
I feel like you are literally the only person in the world that feels that. I have heard nothing but resounding excitement and praise for how that game looks (although I'm sure there are some detractors that I just haven't come across).

An Eidos Montreal (Tomb Raider) developer deleted a tweet where he said TLOU2 demo was "fake" in response to a tweet praising the visuals.

Personally, TLOU2 trailer was a highlight of E3 for me. If they showed more of Cyberpunk 2077, that's the only one that might have beaten it.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:21 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
tldr version: Any pointers on managing happiness?

The rest:
I'm just hitting the modern age in an Emperor game, I'm about an age ahead in tech (started getting "so and so has reached the industrial age!" popups as I hit modern). When I read about winning on deity everything suggests you need stupid high population, like 40 in capital and 3 other cities in the high 20s, but once I got my capital around 27 I started to stymie my own growth because my happiness is hovering at zero at all times.

I can't build any more happiness buildings, I even built a wonder that provides +10 happiness, but if I grow another population I'll go negative. This happened to a lesser extent in my Prince game, by the time I hit Ideologies I end up picking solely ones that boost happiness because all my production is going to hell from unhappy people. The difference is I had started a war by this point on Prince but in this game I haven't even upgraded units past Crossbows because I've been at peace the whole game and wanted to focus on other things, but even without a war I can't control the unhappy people.

Should note I picked random map type and ended up on archipelago, so lack of available luxuries is certainly part of the problem. Also archipelago makes maintaining relations with city-states almost impossible imo. The barbarians have nowhere to spawn so you don't get quests to help the city-states. The only quests that seem to pop-up are for producing the most faith, which is BS because the AIs are faith whores. I'm attributing the poor quest options to just bad luck though, I haven't found anything suggesting that the game skews the quests in favor of other civs' strong suits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
Fwiw I feel like I've got a strong handle on everything else. I have the most science, culture, tourism, social policies (though unfair advantage here from being Poland*), and population in the game. I should end up winning barring something strange happening, like Venice allying with all the city-states and winning diplomatically. My lead definitely dwindled though, I shot way ahead around the Renaissance and then plateaued in the Industrial Age. Seems like being smarter than the AI pushed me ahead early but then lack of access to strategical resources (dumb luck or the game puts them farther away from you on higher difficulties?) and unhappiness means they eventually started catching up because I couldn't grow anymore.

*Big fan of how good Poland is.
Definitely never tried playing on "deity", or reading strategy guides.

I think unhappiness naturally follows from your choice to grow as big as possible. I don't think you can totally resolve that, besides simply not growing as much. Of course there are social policies, wonders, and luxury goods. You can either build or trade (or make alliances) for the goods that you are missing. It's easier on a more connected and larger map. One consideration is to ask how much happiness a given choice will give you.

The game naturally sort of slows down towards the end. As long as you're a tech ahead you'll win.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:59 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Definitely never tried playing on "deity", or reading strategy guides.

I think unhappiness naturally follows from your choice to grow as big as possible. I don't think you can totally resolve that, besides simply not growing as much. Of course there are social policies, wonders, and luxury goods. You can either build or trade (or make alliances) for the goods that you are missing. It's easier on a more connected and larger map. One consideration is to ask how much happiness a given choice will give you.

The game naturally sort of slows down towards the end. As long as you're a tech ahead you'll win.
Played some again last night, should've trusted the process. After a few turns of growth restrictions my happiness shot up to 20 with a couple ideological tenants.

Also just built research centers so I'm only a few turns from bulbing about a dozen great scientists and shooting to the end of the tech tree. Currently trying to win culturally but I could always audible to building the spaceship parts if it's not working.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:10 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP Modules

I finally broke down and bought a PS 4 Pro. As a long time PC gamer, I have generally just waited for games to port to the PC. So now I'm playing The Last of Us Remastered and have Horizon Zero Dawn ready next.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:37 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0EBL0W View Post
I finally broke down and bought a PS 4 Pro. As a long time PC gamer, I have generally just waited for games to port to the PC. So now I'm playing The Last of Us Remastered and have Horizon Zero Dawn ready next.
Glad that you could join us casual gamers. :P

-Riley
Old 06-15-2018, 11:42 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP Modules

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
Glad that you could join us casual gamers. :P

-Riley
Sometimes it's fun to slum it.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one