Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 01-29-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
What is the supposed benefit of the curved screens?
Less strain on eyes and better viewing angles I think. I haven't done a ton of research as I don't think my purchase is happening soon.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:12 AM
CAS

This is a good article which convinced me it's pointless to get a 4k TV right now. Also addresses the curved screen. His feeling is that it's a gimmick.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/4k-tvs-te...838783644.html

Biggest issue with 4k at this point is content. At least for now I don't know what I'd even watch on it. Here is a rundown of what's currently available:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/eight-4k-...829306659.html
Old 01-29-2015, 12:50 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
What is the supposed benefit of the curved screens?
If you sit at the center of curvature, your eyes are equidistant from every point on the screen (at the same height as your eyes), and the light rays all around would be coming at you perpendicular to the screen, as opposed to flat screens where the light rays are less than 90 degrees to the screen except at the dead center.

Theoretically that reduces the parallax distortion of the image, and with more light coming at you on-axis you get better contrast.

That of course falls apart when you're significantly behind, to the left, or to the right of the center of curvature, as the curved screen would then cause the light rays from the outer parts of the screen to hit you at a worse angle.

Last edited by Incredible Hulctuary; 01-29-2015 at 12:54 PM..
Old 01-29-2015, 01:03 PM
Non-Actuary

I'm waiting for 4K OLED (to reach under $1200). I see there is already one 4K OLED on the market, for $10,000.

Last edited by Incredible Hulctuary; 01-29-2015 at 06:19 PM..
Old 01-30-2015, 03:24 PM
SOA

In addition to Hulk's point about curved screens, I'd say that they can provide a more immersive experience - but only if you're sitting pretty close to it. Some people have hooked a PS4 up to it, and say that the experience is amazing.

In my family room, with us mostly sitting pretty far away, I don't know that the curved screen adds any value.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:26 PM
SOA

I got my 55" 1080p Samsung set up. For less than $600, I'm very happy with it. I think the biggest thing I can do for picture quality is to improve the signal coming to it. Blu-Rays look great, but a lot of content from Dish is so compressed as to significantly affect image quality.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
I got my 55" 1080p Samsung set up. For less than $600, I'm very happy with it. I think the biggest thing I can do for picture quality is to improve the signal coming to it. Blu-Rays look great, but a lot of content from Dish is so compressed as to significantly affect image quality.
Did you calibrate it? Can up the picture quite a bit, if its got some freedoms with the settings.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:12 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooBeay View Post
Did you calibrate it? Can up the picture quite a bit, if its got some freedoms with the settings.
Yeah, I've been playing with the settings, but I wouldn't say that I "calibrated" it. Calibration implies making colors as true as possible. I prefer a little extra saturation, and deeper blacks. Plus I don't like a picture with the sharpness cranked up, so I actually dial that down more than most.

The biggest thing that drives me crazy is the compression satellite companies use. Cable companies are even worse. Both lead to a lot of "artifacts" in the picture, especially in sports programming or anything with fast movement.

I can get better picture quality through over-the-air. I have an antenna I use for this purpose, but I haven't bothered with a permanent placement for it. Rather, I just pull it out when there is something I really want to see without compression.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:28 AM

So Im looking at 65" Samsung 4k tv's. They do have a non curved version. I feel like i prefer this over the curved. It's $600 more tho. :/
Old 03-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Non-Actuary

4K TVs without HDCP 2.2 may be unable to display future 4K content:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...rs-forbes.html

Quote:
If you’ve already bought a 4K TV, I have some bad news (potentially). In order to play the new discs, you’ll need HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2.

HDMI 2.0 is an updated version of the transmission standard you’ve been using for years. HDMI 2.0 uses the same cables as you’ve been using (yes, no new cables), but both the TV and the source (i.e. 4K BD) will need to be HDMI 2.0 for the new features to work.

Part of this is because of HDCP 2.2, which is a new copy protection standard.

So if your 4K TV has HDMI 2.0, but not HDCP 2.2, it’s not going to play the disc at 4K resolution. Some models were sold last year like this. Some TVs might be able to be upgraded to work, but not all.

Without HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 it’s likely that 4KBD discs will be limited to 1080p playback, if they work at all.