Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 05-22-2018, 09:02 AM
CAS AAA

They might announce updates in a couple weeks (WWDC is June 4), so prices could dip further after that.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:41 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
I understood the meaning before (i.e. buy more than you think you need). But not sure I understand the purpose of repeating it after the additional exchange (assuming there is some additional point to saying it again).
sorry, i only meant that you should look for a reasonably good price on a well specd machine and buy it. refurb, edu discount, full price, or whatever
Old 05-22-2018, 09:06 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks1839 View Post
They might announce updates in a couple weeks (WWDC is June 4), so prices could dip further after that.
The most recent product cycle had a slew of keyboard complaints (and a resulting class action) so I'd wait to see if they release an update during WWDC that addresses the issues before pulling the trigger on a new model.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:42 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
The most recent product cycle had a slew of keyboard complaints (and a resulting class action) so I'd wait to see if they release an update during WWDC that addresses the issues before pulling the trigger on a new model.
i wonder what % are having problems wiht the kb. i bought a new MBP earlier this year and the kb is fine.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:36 PM
SOA

Quote:
I plan on getting a Mac. No need for the headache associated with making sure you have the necessary software and compatibility.

But I am not seeing a significant benefit from the refurb.

Lower end 15" Pro
- new with "education" pricing from Apple.com $1,799
- 2015 Refurb $1,699
- Mid 2015 "New" $1,699
- 2015 "Open Box"$1,528

Higher end "base" model
- new $2,599
- refurb $2,359
- mid 2017 new $2,399

Basically, the sale prices seem to be better than the refurb prices for the moment.
The websites I check for deals strongly recommend getting nothing newer than 2015. Since then, they've switched the keyboard to something less durable, and a lot of people don't like the feel as much. I'm sitting on my 2014 MacBook Pro for the foreseeable future. I definitely hope they fix the keyboard issues.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:18 PM
CAS

i went from a 2012 MBA to a 2018 MBP. minimal adjustment time to the new kb. feel issues are overstated imo.

i don't have any direct experience with kb durability, but i don't eat saltine crackers or other crumbly food over my kb either.

best to go into a store and check out the feel for yourself. i was pretty skeptical about getting a new model because i'd read about the complaints too, but i tried it out and it was nbd
Old 05-23-2018, 07:32 PM
Non-Actuary

Dang, did Apple make a donation to Denver's music school?

They say Windows is possible. So if the same software is available for Windows, save some money and buy a $500 Windows laptop with the necessary trimmings, then go for the Macbook only if the lack of Mac turns out to be a problem. Even if it's eventually a problem, maybe there's no problem until more advanced classes 2 years from now.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:06 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Dang, did Apple make a donation to Denver's music school?

They say Windows is possible. So if the same software is available for Windows, save some money and buy a $500 Windows laptop with the necessary trimmings, then go for the Macbook only if the lack of Mac turns out to be a problem. Even if it's eventually a problem, maybe there's no problem until more advanced classes 2 years from now.
No. IME, liberal arts departments have always favored Apple products. This was true even 20-30 years ago. While it may not be as true now, I think historically the software for audio and visual arts was miles ahead in the Apple ecosystem so it is now thoroughly entrenched in most universities.

I also have no intention of getting her a Windows machine. I have no idea what the differences will be, not to mention the professors and other students are likely to be using a Mac so that is what they will teaching from and more likely able to help with. I see no reason to introduce another source of potential stress and difficulty. I'm already paying $$$$$ to send her to school, a little extra upfront for a computer isn't going to break the bank.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:42 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
I also have no intention of getting her a Windows machine. I have no idea what the differences will be, not to mention the professors and other students are likely to be using a Mac so that is what they will teaching from and more likely able to help with. I see no reason to introduce another source of potential stress and difficulty. I'm already paying $$$$$ to send her to school, a little extra upfront for a computer isn't going to break the bank.
I hear you. I see we have different life experiences and philosophies. I finished a computer science degree without owning a computer.

My mother would've been like "It costs WHAT? We're paying for your on-campus housing since your scholarship doesn't cover it, you have a brother who's going to start college before you graduate, another brother in private school, and your father is still paying off his own student loans! Here's $150, go buy a refurb Windows computer and don't talk to me about no damn $1700 Mac!"

Last edited by Incredible Hulctuary; 05-25-2018 at 05:16 AM..
Old 05-25-2018, 11:22 AM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
i wonder what % are having problems wiht the kb. i bought a new MBP earlier this year and the kb is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
The websites I check for deals strongly recommend getting nothing newer than 2015. Since then, they've switched the keyboard to something less durable, and a lot of people don't like the feel as much. I'm sitting on my 2014 MacBook Pro for the foreseeable future. I definitely hope they fix the keyboard issues.
I'm with yoyo on this. My wife has a new MBP (TouchBar and all) and loves the keyboard. I was really worried about whether she would like it, but at least in our household, the concern is overblown. We didn't have previous Apple laptops, so maybe the shift would be more dramatic if you're used to older MBs.

In any case - especially for a music/arts based laptop - advocating for a 3+ year old version as a new purchase seems silly. Try it out, but I bet it will be fine. They did make improvements since the first iteration of the "butterfly key" mechanism to give it deeper feel. Maybe that's enough.