Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Website Ideas - Comments > Announcements
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 03-03-2008, 12:52 PM

Studying for FM
College: Morehouse Alumni
Favorite beer: Samuel Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Actuary View Post
I can certainly undersanding putting a lid on insulting people. But since the new rules include 'work appropriate' behavior, I don't think insulting others' ideas should be allowed either. Would you tell a coworker their idea on how to adjust for some reserve factor was moronic? Probably not.
You just argued against using any insults on AO.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:53 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Mo View Post
no, but I'd politely disagree with his choice, and offer a solution
Exactly my point. If you wouldn't do it at work, you shouldn't be allowed to do it here since the standard of behavior is 'work-appropriate'.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:53 PM

Studying for FM

Quote:
I can certainly undersanding putting a lid on insulting people. But since the new rules include 'work appropriate' behavior, I don't think insulting others' ideas should be allowed either. Would you tell a coworker their idea on how to adjust for some reserve factor was moronic? Probably not.
You just argued against using any insults on AO. So does that mean we can't insult ideas anymore, mods?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:55 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerry81 View Post
You just argued against using any insults on AO.
I'm arguing that the rules should be consistent. If they want to take away avatars, pictures of babes, calling people or ideas moranic, then they should do it. Not that many people will bother sticking around.

Or they could just continue to make up new rules and enforce them solely when Standtall complains about me.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
But since the new rules include 'work appropriate' behavior,
It's not a new rule. In fact, it's not a rule. Avatars are seen on all posts, both inside and outside the reef. Many people read this forum at work, and don't need questionable pictures popping up on their screens in an otherwise innocuous thread. Any avatar that skates near the line will be asked to be changed. It's not as though you don't change your avatar every few hours or so, anyway, so asking you to speed up your normal change schedule is not out of line when the picture is.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I'm arguing that the rules should be consistent. If they want to take away avatars, pictures of babes, calling people or ideas moranic, then they should do it. Not that many people will bother sticking around.

Or they could just continue to make up new rules and enforce them solely when Standtall complains about me.
You can insult ideas all you want. Insulting people is where we draw the line.

Irritating other posters, or a single poster in particular, for the sake of irritating him/her/them, is a hobby we'd rather no one develop. Whiners are annoying. So are the people who get their jollies by making them whine.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:01 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator37 View Post
It's not a new rule. In fact, it's not a rule. Avatars are seen on all posts, both inside and outside the reef. Many people read this forum at work, and don't need questionable pictures popping up on their screens in an otherwise innocuous thread. Any avatar that skates near the line will be asked to be changed. It's not as though you don't change your avatar every few hours or so, anyway, so asking you to speed up your normal change schedule is not out of line when the picture is.
There is an option to turn off avatars. I know it works, because I've tried it. If you don't want your boss to know you are surfing the net all day, hide it better. My avatar is pretty small, the boss would have to be pretty close to teh computer screen to notice it. By then you're already in trouble. He can tell you're not working even if the avarts are all Simpson or Star Wars characters.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
There is an option to turn off avatars. I know it works, because I've tried it. If you don't want your boss to know you are surfing the net all day, hide it better. My avatar is pretty small, the boss would have to be pretty close to teh computer screen to notice it. By then you're already in trouble. He can tell you're not working even if the avarts are all Simpson or Star Wars characters.

That's true, too. and always an option. I occasionally put you on ignore, just for fun.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:06 PM

Studying for FM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator37 View Post
You can insult ideas all you want. Insulting people is where we draw the line.

Irritating other posters, or a single poster in particular, for the sake of irritating him/her/them, is a hobby we'd rather no one develop. Whiners are annoying. So are the people who get their jollies by making them whine.
So will that stop people from saying, "Djerry, I thought you were leaving" for the billionth time? I was funny maybe up to the 20th time.