Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Financial Mathematics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Financial Mathematics Old FM Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-28-2019, 11:32 PM
Not Paul Not Paul is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
College: St. Edwards University
Posts: 114
Default SOA #100 (Things I don't get about bonds)

An investor owns a bond that is redeemable for 300 in seven years. The investor has just received a coupon of 22.50 and each subsequent semiannual coupon will be X more than the preceding coupon. The present value of this bond immediately after the payment of the coupon is 1050.50 assuming an annual nominal yield rate of 6% convertible semiannually.

Calculate X.

(A)7.54 (B)10.04 (C) 22.37 (D)34.49 (E)43.98

I am not sure what to do with the 22.50. I presume I can use it to find out which coupon was just received. I also sense some amortization of premium and/or an arithmetically increasing coupon structure. But I am not sure where to begin. As I solved I found myself doing too much algebra. And then I ran out of time. Will someone point me in the right direction?
__________________
Please forgive my ignorance as it far exceeds my knowledge.

SOA FM questions and answers.

P FM IFM
VEE: Economics VEE: Accounting VEE: Statistics
Job
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-28-2019, 11:50 PM
Sullinator Sullinator is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
College: West Chester Universiy
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Paul View Post
An investor owns a bond that is redeemable for 300 in seven years. The investor has just received a coupon of 22.50 and each subsequent semiannual coupon will be X more than the preceding coupon. The present value of this bond immediately after the payment of the coupon is 1050.50 assuming an annual nominal yield rate of 6% convertible semiannually.

Calculate X.

(A)7.54 (B)10.04 (C) 22.37 (D)34.49 (E)43.98

I am not sure what to do with the 22.50. I presume I can use it to find out which coupon was just received. I also sense some amortization of premium and/or an arithmetically increasing coupon structure. But I am not sure where to begin. As I solved I found myself doing too much algebra. And then I ran out of time. Will someone point me in the right direction?
The first coupon 22.5 will be at time 0 a long with the price of 1050.50 but ignore the 22.5 at time 0 because it says the present value of the bond immediately after the coupon payment, at semiannual payment 1 it’s x+22.5, then at semiannual payment time 2 it’s 2x+22.5, then at semiannual payment time 3 it’s 22.5+3x.... and so fourth until you get to semiannual time 14 which is 22.5+14x and time 14 you also have a redemption value of 300, once you put that on the time line you can see it’s arithmetically increasing.

Last edited by Sullinator; 10-29-2019 at 12:14 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-29-2019, 02:13 AM
Not Paul Not Paul is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
College: St. Edwards University
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinator View Post
The first coupon 22.5 will be at time 0 a long with the price of 1050.50 but ignore the 22.5 at time 0 because it says the present value of the bond immediately after the coupon payment, at semiannual payment 1 it’s x+22.5, then at semiannual payment time 2 it’s 2x+22.5, then at semiannual payment time 3 it’s 22.5+3x.... and so fourth until you get to semiannual time 14 which is 22.5+14x and time 14 you also have a redemption value of 300, once you put that on the time line you can see it’s arithmetically increasing.
I can see the arithmetically increasing coupon payment, but I am not confident that 22.50 is the first coupon payment. It could be the fifth, or the tenth, and the present value is being calculated at that point in time. Treating 22.50 as the first coupon payment, I get X = 12.08ish using the increasing annuity formula.

*Edit

Okay, clearly we have got fourteen coupon payments to go, I just didn't see the inference in the first sentence. I think I've got it now.
__________________
Please forgive my ignorance as it far exceeds my knowledge.

SOA FM questions and answers.

P FM IFM
VEE: Economics VEE: Accounting VEE: Statistics
Job

Last edited by Not Paul; 10-29-2019 at 02:25 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-29-2019, 02:29 AM
Sullinator Sullinator is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
College: West Chester Universiy
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Paul View Post
I can see the arithmetically increasing coupon payment, but I am not confident that 22.50 is the first coupon payment. It could be the fifth, or the tenth, and the present value is being calculated at that point in time. Treating 22.50 as the first coupon payment, I get X = 12.08ish using the increasing annuity formula.

*Edit

Okay, clearly we have got fourteen coupon payments to go, I just didn't see the inference in the first sentence. Using this increasing annuity formula with n = 14 and i = .03 I get 1050.5 = 79.31X + 300v^14 => X = 10.74. Close, but I'm still missing something.
You are close, x(Ia)angle14 + 22.5a-angle14 +300v^24=1050.50, if you draw out a timeline you can see more clearly as to what is happening. When it says just received means right now at this time which is time 0.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-29-2019, 02:31 AM
Not Paul Not Paul is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
College: St. Edwards University
Posts: 114
Default

I missed the 14 payments of 22.5. Thanks for your input.
__________________
Please forgive my ignorance as it far exceeds my knowledge.

SOA FM questions and answers.

P FM IFM
VEE: Economics VEE: Accounting VEE: Statistics
Job
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-29-2019, 02:36 AM
Sullinator Sullinator is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
College: West Chester Universiy
Posts: 290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Paul View Post
I missed the 14 payments of 22.5. Thanks for your input.
No problem, you should get choice A.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-29-2019, 04:18 PM
Not Paul Not Paul is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
College: St. Edwards University
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinator View Post
No problem, you should get choice A.
I did.
__________________
Please forgive my ignorance as it far exceeds my knowledge.

SOA FM questions and answers.

P FM IFM
VEE: Economics VEE: Accounting VEE: Statistics
Job
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.18295 seconds with 9 queries