Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 5 (new) - Ratemaking/Reserving
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-17-2018, 09:02 AM
SOA

Studying for golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
I'm happy about exam moving to being software based. I'm not happy about CAS's implementation. But, you gotta have some casualties for the sake of progress I suppose.
ISWYDT

And so you're saying, "Risk is Opportunity"?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:03 AM
CAS

Yeah, there are certainly parts of the implementation I don't like, and there may be more parts that I learn about once it happens. I'm hoping that it's a net positive, though.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:11 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Yeah, there are certainly parts of the implementation I don't like, and there may be more parts that I learn about once it happens. I'm hoping that it's a net positive, though.
A webinar a few months ago and an ever-changing(not in a good way because of lack of significant changed being pointed out(no chromebook support)) FAQ do not instill confidence in this sitting being successful. I'm sure once all the deets get ironed out, it'll be fine going forward. There's gonna be some pissed off people on the 4th and 5th.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 04-17-2018, 09:54 AM
CAS

Quote:
I'm already FCAS, but the one guy in my department who is sitting for this is cautiously optimistic.
I'm taking 5 this sitting and that's how I'd describe myself, cautiously optimistic.

Sure, you can point to things to complain about, but it's definitely the right direction. One day a 5 hour, open book, data driven exam 5 would be a much better exam than last year's paper and pen version, at least in how it represents what it's trying to test.

I don't think the cheating will be as doomsday as some people fear. I think people who've been successful on actuarial exams are generally pretty risk averse when it comes to risking that progress, not to mention the CAS probably wanting to take close look at any potential cases since this is a first time sitting.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:22 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
I'm surprised no one is optimistic, even in the long run. People have been asking, begging, the CAS to offer exams in Excel for years.

I'm already FCAS, but the one guy in my department who is sitting for this is cautiously optimistic.
I'd say those who are taking Exam 5 this spring might have better feelings for this particular sitting. After all an extra hour with absolutely no change to the exam itself, when one of the biggest issues with this particular exam is that not enough time was given? Of course they'd be happy about it.

I am referring to beyond this spring sitting. Unless this implementation means that for every exam it gives an extra hour with absolutely no change to the exam itself other than being in Excel vs pencil & paper like this particular sitting (which I assume is only for this one sitting only), most people I've talked to are not happy about it. The exams will now lengthen to five hours and the level of difficulty will rise as so much more things are now testable, and the grading will be harsher now that "they have an extra hour". It's possible this could turn out well many years down the road, but it really sucks for those caught in this transition.

I can't speak much about people begging the exams to be done in Excel. For Exam 5, I could see that mostly since it was just WAY too much to write in a short time, and people's wrists would cramp up, making it difficult to even finish in time. But I'd be surprised if this was the majority opinion for the rest of the uppers.
Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteVeil View Post
The exams will now lengthen to five hours and the level of difficulty will rise as so much more things are now testable, and the grading will be harsher now that "they have an extra hour". It's possible this could turn out well many years down the road, but it really sucks for those caught in this transition.
The CAS has already explicitly said this is not the case
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM
SOA

Has anyone have problems passing the latency test in the True Ability practice exam session?