Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-17-2018, 06:57 PM
Abraham Weishaus Abraham Weishaus is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 7,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickykkk2000 View Post
To those who are planning to take exam STAM:

since there have been updates to the syllabus apart from the old exam C, I am wondering if anyone here could help me understand whether the 1st edition of ASM STAM manual already has comprehensive coverage for the new syllabus for exam STAM or updates with respect to new materials are expected to be further included in the newer edition?

Since I am used to learning the material from the presentation style of ASM manual, I am planning to purchase the manual and start preparing for STAM!

Thanks very much for any reply in advance!
It covers the entire STAM syllabus.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-18-2018, 03:15 PM
Kayci93 Kayci93 is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
College: Stockton University Alumni
Posts: 7
Default

When I took MFE after the curriculum change, I had to wait 8 weeks for even just pass/fail results since it was the first sitting with the new curriculum. I'm assuming the October STAM will be the same way, but I wanted to see if anyone knew for sure?
__________________

P | FM | MFE | C/STAM | MLC/LTAM
VEEs | FAP | APC
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-18-2018, 03:16 PM
daaaave daaaave is offline
David Revelle
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,037
Default

Correct, the syllabus says 8 weeks for results, no instantaneous results `for the first few administrations'.
__________________

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-18-2018, 03:22 PM
ActuariallyDecentAtBest ActuariallyDecentAtBest is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaave View Post
Correct, the syllabus says 8 weeks for results, no instantaneous results `for the first few administrations'.
Nice. Do your lessons include the newer material?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-18-2018, 03:49 PM
daaaave daaaave is offline
David Revelle
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,037
Default

They will. There are going to be 18 lessons total on the new material, 12 of which are currently available and the rest should be done soon.
__________________

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-19-2018, 05:21 PM
tcd tcd is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bedford View Post
My partial manual is now available for pre-order on the Actuarial Bookstore and Actex/Mad River Books. It will be released 7/31/18, with additional problems released in August. It should fill the gap if you have taken C before, or otherwise have C study material and are only looking for coverage of the new material, of if you are looking for an intuitive explanation of the new P&C topics from an experienced P&C Actuary to supplement your primary manual.

Good Luck!
I just checked and there is only a digital version. Will there be an option to buy a printed version instead?

I can understand the desire to protect hard work and IP but I find I need physical paper or book to study. Given the risk of only having 1-shot at printing, I'd prefer to buy it already printed.

At the very least, is there a test version of a file (could be random text) that people can download to test they can print before purchasing the partial manual?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-19-2018, 05:28 PM
Jim Bedford Jim Bedford is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd View Post
I just checked and there is only a digital version. Will there be an option to buy a printed version instead?

I can understand the desire to protect hard work and IP but I find I need physical paper or book to study. Given the risk of only having 1-shot at printing, I'd prefer to buy it already printed.

At the very least, is there a test version of a file (could be random text) that people can download to test they can print before purchasing the partial manual?
I understand your concern. There will be no physical copy for sale, but if you have issues with printing I will work with the Bookstore to ensure you are able to print again. This is my first time using the Bookstore's software and DRM.
__________________
Jim Bedford, FCAS, MAAA
Study Smarter, Not Longer!
www.BedfordSeminars.com
Jim@BedfordSeminars.com
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-20-2018, 08:26 AM
tcd tcd is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bedford View Post
I understand your concern. There will be no physical copy for sale, but if you have issues with printing I will work with the Bookstore to ensure you are able to print again. This is my first time using the Bookstore's software and DRM.
There might be an mechanism or option, similar to Amazon Createspace for books, where you can "outsource" the printing, thus avoiding the need to send the digital file to the end user at all for those who prefer physical copies and do not want digital.

I think that the way Createspace works is that you create your book, send them the electronic file and then books are printed on demand for customers who purchase directly from Createspace.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-20-2018, 08:51 AM
Jim Bedford Jim Bedford is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd View Post
There might be an mechanism or option, similar to Amazon Createspace for books, where you can "outsource" the printing, thus avoiding the need to send the digital file to the end user at all for those who prefer physical copies and do not want digital.

I think that the way Createspace works is that you create your book, send them the electronic file and then books are printed on demand for customers who purchase directly from Createspace.
The Bookstore has the ability to print and ship as well. The reason I want to keep it electronic with the ability to print yourself, and I'd imagine the same reason many others do the same, is that if I send you a physical copy you have the legal right to resell it, but if I send you a digital copy (even if you print it yourself) it is illegal for you to resell it (at least that is what I have been told-- I am not a lawyer).

Most students have access to printing at work or school, and even if not, printing at staples or somewhere else would be comparably priced to having us do it, so it shouldn't be a large disadvantage. I do understand your concern with the 1 print license, but like I said, if you have issues printing I will make sure you have the ability to get it right.
__________________
Jim Bedford, FCAS, MAAA
Study Smarter, Not Longer!
www.BedfordSeminars.com
Jim@BedfordSeminars.com
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-30-2018, 04:39 PM
Nancy S. Nancy S. is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 29
Default ASM Manual for Exam STAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickykkk2000 View Post
To those who are planning to take exam STAM:

since there have been updates to the syllabus apart from the old exam C, I am wondering if anyone here could help me understand whether the 1st edition of ASM STAM manual already has comprehensive coverage for the new syllabus for exam STAM or updates with respect to new materials are expected to be further included in the newer edition?

Since I am used to learning the material from the presentation style of ASM manual, I am planning to purchase the manual and start preparing for STAM!

Thanks very much for any reply in advance!
Hello rickykkk2000,

The ASM study manual for Exam STAM already has comprehensive and complete coverage for this new exam. The 1st edition of the manual has over 1300 pages and each section includes end-of-lesson exercises. In addition to these exercises, there are twelve practice exams composed of 35 multiple-choice questions, all with complete solutions.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with.
-Nancy
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.37215 seconds with 10 queries