Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 10-19-2018, 12:13 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM
College: Central Michigan University Alumni
Favorite beer: Two-Hearted Ale
Default February 2019 Exam STAM Thread

Too early to start this thread? Just bought my CA bundle and ready to get started I've never had video lessons for exam prep, so hopefully this will be a bit easier than learning out of a book.
Advanced: FAP | PA
Professionalism: APC
Old 10-19-2018, 02:24 PM
SOA

Studying for Global Conquest
College: Ball State University, Alumni, M.A.
Favorite beer: Coffee and more Coffee

I've been studying for this sitting for a month or so now. I am currently working through the manual, and i Just finished up Maximum Likelihood Estimators in ASM.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:39 PM
SOA

Studying for C
College: UW-Madison

Just purchased CA bundle today. Study gets started from this weekend. Good luck to all!
Old 10-21-2018, 06:56 PM
SOA

For those of you that used/are using the ASM manual to study, I would like your advice. Are you aiming to complete every single one of the exercises? Or are you doing a limited number of questions from each exercise? If the latter, what is your general rule of thumb for how many questions you do from each exercise?

Also, how do you use the Supplementary Questions Sections? Do you complete these too?
Old 10-22-2018, 07:19 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM
College: Central Michigan University Alumni
Favorite beer: Two-Hearted Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanActuary View Post
For those of you that used/are using the ASM manual to study, I would like your advice. Are you aiming to complete every single one of the exercises? Or are you doing a limited number of questions from each exercise? If the latter, what is your general rule of thumb for how many questions you do from each exercise?
While I am not using the ASM manual for this exam, when I have used paper manuals for previous exams I have started off by doing every exercise at the end of each section. As the exam drew closer in each case I had a better idea of what I needed to work on and how quickly I was catching on, so I skipped 1/4-1/2 of the questions in the later chapters. You will also know how much time you would like to be spending doing problems in the book vs. practice exams as you approach your test date.

I would say there is no strict rule of thumb, but go with your gut and your own perceived level of understanding.
Advanced: FAP | PA
Professionalism: APC
Old 10-22-2018, 08:24 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by harb1sj View Post
While I am not using the ASM manual for this exam, when I have used paper manuals for previous exams I have started off by doing every exercise at the end of each section. As the exam drew closer in each case I had a better idea of what I needed to work on and how quickly I was catching on, so I skipped 1/4-1/2 of the questions in the later chapters. You will also know how much time you would like to be spending doing problems in the book vs. practice exams as you approach your test date.

I would say there is no strict rule of thumb, but go with your gut and your own perceived level of understanding.
I feel you on going "with your gut". After a number of prelims under our belts, you'd think we'd be pros at this by now lol...
Old 10-23-2018, 05:03 PM
SOA

College: Wabash College B.A. 1962, Stanford Ph.D. 1965
Default Face-to-face exam-prep seminar

Now that this thread is up and running, I thought I should post the same information here that I posted on the October-sitting thread---sorry for the duplication.

As usual, I'm offering my face-to-face exam-prep seminar for the February sitting. In order to avoid all the December/January holidays (and my professional obligations) and not get too close to the 8 February start of STAM's exam week, I have to offer it in the first half of December---namely 6 - 12 December. Since the SoA is not providing instant results for the October sitting and results won't be out until December, unfortunately October STAM takers won't know their results in time to take the seminar if they failed. I can't find a way to avoid this problem this year; it will go away again once instant results return for STAM. Soon, I hope!

Detailed information on the seminar---schedule, location, housing, registration, et cetera---can be found on my website http://www.actuarialseminars.com . Feel free to PM me with any questions that aren't answered on my website.
jimdaniel@actuarialseminars.com
Old 10-24-2018, 04:21 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
College: Ohio State University

Speaking as someone who took STAM this month (awaiting results), I felt that the CA instructional videos and ADAPT prepared me quite well for the exam. The look and feel of the questions on the exam were very similar to what I saw in my practice problems (even the never-before-tested material like loss reserving/ratemaking). Obviously, I don't know for sure yet, but I felt good about it, and I'll be surprised if I failed, and CA was the entirety of my prep material.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:26 PM
SOA

Studying for Global Conquest
College: Ball State University, Alumni, M.A.
Favorite beer: Coffee and more Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanvalk View Post
Speaking as someone who took STAM this month (awaiting results), I felt that the CA instructional videos and ADAPT prepared me quite well for the exam. The look and feel of the questions on the exam were very similar to what I saw in my practice problems (even the never-before-tested material like loss reserving/ratemaking). Obviously, I don't know for sure yet, but I felt good about it, and I'll be surprised if I failed, and CA was the entirety of my prep material.
In your opinion, would the textbook (Rate Making and Loss Reserving for Property and Casualty Insurance), in addition to ADAPT be adequate in preparation for the newly added material? I have the 18th edition of ASM for Exam C. So, I figured with that, the textbook, ADAPT, and the Sample MC questions, I would have more than enough to prepare for the February sitting.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:49 AM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
College: Ohio State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmbo1987 View Post
In your opinion, would the textbook (Rate Making and Loss Reserving for Property and Casualty Insurance), in addition to ADAPT be adequate in preparation for the newly added material? I have the 18th edition of ASM for Exam C. So, I figured with that, the textbook, ADAPT, and the Sample MC questions, I would have more than enough to prepare for the February sitting.
I honestly didn't actually buy the textbook, so I'm not able to give an informed opinion on it, but it sounds like that should be enough. I actually took C in June and got a 5, and I felt like this sitting was easier with the new material and taking out some of the stuff from C (I struggled with kernel smoothing and simulation - survival and hazard rate estimators got moved to LTAM, but I thought those were pretty straightforward). The sample SOA questions are really good - I thought several of the questions I got on the exam were very similar to things I had seen and done on the SOA sample questions.