Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 11-19-2018, 02:26 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Is it just me or is anyone else having difficulty even starting the material? I'm using TIA for instruction and ADAPT for problems and after doing the first section of TIA (A.1.1-7) I have yet to figure out how to start any of the problems in TIA or the "Basics" section of ADAPT. I passed P last year but much of the material that seems to be assumed as known doesn't look familiar at all.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:27 PM
SOA

Default Terminology

Hi guys,

Quick question. Does the terminology of this text match more with Coaching Actuaries or with Actex?

A response is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-25-2018, 11:12 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE
College: BU Alumna
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

I'm not planning on taking the test in February, but I just bought the Loss Models book and started reading it. It was pretty cheap for a textbook.

P FM MFE STAM LTAM
Old 12-03-2018, 01:07 PM
SOA

I'm totally cool with taking this test again, because it'll give more time for the SOA to flesh out PA.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:45 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP Modules
Favorite beer: Beavertown Gamma Ray (UK)

Glad I can finally share this now that I’ve officially passed. I always like to hear about/see a detailed breakdown like this to guide my studying (even when using different materials), so hopefully this helps those of you who have started or will start studying for February STAM and are thinking about materials/study time/etc.

Prior Background with Material: None

Study Materials: TIA (includes SOA problems) and Mahler Exams

Hours, grouped by TIA section (includes completion of all 642 TIA practice problems)
A (Loss Models): 60
B (Risk Measures): 9
C (Parametric Estimators): 36
D (Credibility): 39
E (General Insurance): 28
Practice Exam Hours (between both TIA and Mahler): 58
Total Hours: 230

TIA Practice Problems – First Attempt Accuracy: 65%

TIA Practice Exams
1. 24/35
2. 19/35
3. 26/35
4. 25/35
5. 21/35

Mahler Practice Exams: While they were helpful in making the actual exam feel easier, I trashed these scores; I only broke the 50% threshold once or twice

Weak Spots: The only types of problems that had me guessing were conceptual questions on the new short-term insurance material (sections 8-9 on the syllabus). I was comfortable with the computational new questions with ample practice from TIA and Mahler, but it could be a good idea to pick up a study guide/textbook/etc. that gives you a strong conceptual foundation on the short-term stuff. Then again, maybe I should’ve read the study notes...

Final Score: 10
Old 12-10-2018, 05:52 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM
College: Central Michigan University Alumni
Favorite beer: Two-Hearted Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartz2 View Post
Is it just me or is anyone else having difficulty even starting the material? I'm using TIA for instruction and ADAPT for problems and after doing the first section of TIA (A.1.1-7) I have yet to figure out how to start any of the problems in TIA or the "Basics" section of ADAPT. I passed P last year but much of the material that seems to be assumed as known doesn't look familiar at all.
I'm in a similar spot. I passed P with an 8, but that was a couple years ago. Now I'm having difficulty grasping the beginning material, but this could be due to laziness/distractions during my allotted study time. Also, this is my first time using CA videos/quizzes rather than a paper manual, and my first time studying while working full time.
Advanced: FAP | PA
Professionalism: APC
Old 12-11-2018, 10:35 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The412Kid View Post
Glad I can finally share this now that I’ve officially passed. I always like to hear about/see a detailed breakdown like this to guide my studying (even when using different materials), so hopefully this helps those of you who have started or will start studying for February STAM and are thinking about materials/study time/etc.

Prior Background with Material: None

Study Materials: TIA (includes SOA problems) and Mahler Exams

Hours, grouped by TIA section (includes completion of all 642 TIA practice problems)
A (Loss Models): 60
B (Risk Measures): 9
C (Parametric Estimators): 36
D (Credibility): 39
E (General Insurance): 28
Practice Exam Hours (between both TIA and Mahler): 58
Total Hours: 230

TIA Practice Problems – First Attempt Accuracy: 65%

TIA Practice Exams
1. 24/35
2. 19/35
3. 26/35
4. 25/35
5. 21/35

Mahler Practice Exams: While they were helpful in making the actual exam feel easier, I trashed these scores; I only broke the 50% threshold once or twice

Weak Spots: The only types of problems that had me guessing were conceptual questions on the new short-term insurance material (sections 8-9 on the syllabus). I was comfortable with the computational new questions with ample practice from TIA and Mahler, but it could be a good idea to pick up a study guide/textbook/etc. that gives you a strong conceptual foundation on the short-term stuff. Then again, maybe I should’ve read the study notes...

Final Score: 10
Damn, how many months did you study for?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:46 PM
SOA

Studying for C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuariallyDecentAtBest View Post
Damn, how many months did you study for?
Guessing by the total study hours given, I feel like the answer to this question is less than 3 months. I'm curious to know myself.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:04 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP Modules
Favorite beer: Beavertown Gamma Ray (UK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthHoncho View Post
Guessing by the total study hours given, I feel like the answer to this question is less than 3 months. I'm curious to know myself.
Almost exactly 3 months, as I started right after MLC results dropped on 7/13 and sat for the exam on 10/8. Definitely tough, but was able to plan a couple long weekends out of town and totally away from studying which I found refreshing. It also helps that about half of my hours came from paid study time.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:33 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The412Kid View Post
Almost exactly 3 months, as I started right after MLC results dropped on 7/13 and sat for the exam on 10/8. Definitely tough, but was able to plan a couple long weekends out of town and totally away from studying which I found refreshing. It also helps that about half of my hours came from paid study time.
I started beginning of August, lol. Did not put myself in the best position but got lucky in the end.