Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Financial Mathematics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Financial Mathematics Old FM Forum

Old 11-05-2018, 03:21 AM
SOA

College: West Chester Universiy
Default FM question

Mr. Prescott donated 40,000 toward a future scholarship. The scholarships are to be paid according to the following schedule:

End of year1: 1,000
End of year2: 1500
End of year3: 2000

And so on...

with the amount of increasing 500 each year until scholarship reaches 5,000. The annual scholarship will remain at 5,000 until the fund is depleted. If the account balance is less than 5,000 at the end of any year (i.e. after awarding of the 5,000 for that year), that remaining amount immediately will be awarded as a smaller scholarship, and the account will be closed. The scholarship fund earns interest earns interest at an effective annual rate of 8%. Determine how many full 5,000 scholarships will be awarded.

How come in the solution everything was moved up to time 8 to solve for n?
Old 11-05-2018, 08:22 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
It would be helpful if you included the possible answers, if it is a sample multiple choice question, and what the source says the answer is.

Also, for the benefit of both you and people who might try to help you, you should start by posting your thoughts about how you might try to solve it. Biggest advantage of that: just documenting your thoughts may alert you to something you’re doing wrong or to how you could go further. Secondary advantage: no one has to document for you steps that you would already be doing on your own.

For this question, one reasonable approach (other thought processes would be similar):
1. What is the PV of all the payments except the last payment?
2. By subtracting that from the total PV, what is the PV of the last payment?
3. If that’s the PV of it, how much is the payment?
That quote is from a different thread, but same idea. Include your thoughts, and give people enough info. In FM, there are frequently multiple valid approaches, all ok, all giving the same answer. You didn´t even tell us what they did, and you expect us to tell us why they did what they did?

As discussed yesterday in a different thread, problems like this frequently involve splitting a series of payments into two series, each of which you can evaluate. Here it is likely they did that, and then found it easier to evaluate at least one of them at time 8 than time 0. They could have used other splits, and could have chosen splits that did not require evaluation at time 8.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:38 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

Also, on the AO search is your friend. If you had searched the FM forum for “scholarship”, you would have found this thread, among others
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=114612 In it, no one suggested advancing to time 8, though they didn´t spell out a complete solution.

There’s also this one http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...ad.php?t=54547, which does suggest considering time 8.

You could also search for Prescott and find those threads, and searching for names like that often gives you only results you care about, but then you wouldn’t pick up threads that didn´t include the donors name.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:31 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
That quote is from a different thread, but same idea. Include your thoughts, and give people enough info. In FM, there are frequently multiple valid approaches, all ok, all giving the same answer. You didn´t even tell us what they did, and you expect us to tell us why they did what they did?

As discussed yesterday in a different thread, problems like this frequently involve splitting a series of payments into two series, each of which you can evaluate. Here it is likely they did that, and then found it easier to evaluate at least one of them at time 8 than time 0. They could have used other splits, and could have chosen splits that did not require evaluation at time 8.
I’ll look it up thanks. I just suck at word problems.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinator View Post
I just suck at word problems.
Then why would you be interested in a career that is essentially solving word problems full time?

"I think that probably clarifies things pretty good by itself."
Old 11-05-2018, 11:36 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colymbosathon ecplecticos View Post
Then why would you be interested in a career that is essentially solving word problems full time?
I’ll get used to it I guess.

Last edited by Sullinator; 11-05-2018 at 11:42 AM..
Old 11-05-2018, 11:41 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colymbosathon ecplecticos View Post
I mean people learn stuff they stink at, I’ll do the same I guess.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:49 PM
SOA

Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U
Favorite beer: Guinness

Key question: when does the first $5,000 payment happen? Picking time 8 makes your life a little easier, no?
Old 11-05-2018, 04:59 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullinator View Post
I mean people learn stuff they stink at, I’ll do the same I guess.
Big difference between doing something as a means to continue doing what you enjoy vs. picking a career path based on something you aren't "good at".
Old 11-05-2018, 05:04 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadmaker View Post
Key question: when does the first $5,000 payment happen? Picking time 8 makes your life a little easier, no?
First 5000 happen at time 9, at time 8 it’s 4.5k, why does it make it easier? I know time 8 is the last time an increase happens, time 9 and after the payment stays at 5000, is that why?