Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-23-2016, 03:09 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

we are accustomed to hiring entry level workers and waiting for them to finish out a school year. your school year has you standing in front of the desks instead of sitting in one of the desks. waiting for you isn't a big deal. Start applying as soon as you have 2 exams and can start the following summer.

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:13 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
What's the downside to breaking your contract? Start applying after 2 exams. CFA probably won't help at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsnyder36 View Post
I think the only downside would be if I ever wanted to return to teaching, but with my qualifications I don't think I'd ever have too much of a problem with it.

It's more of an ethical thing though, I don't mind pursuing my best interests at the expense of my employer's, but I don't like it to happen at the expense of my student's.
A more specific question is: How early in the summer can you break your next year's contract without too much flack from the school district? I don't think anyone would suggest quitting mid-year.

Assuming you have until, say, Sept 1, I suggest sending your résumé to a hundred or so employers. ASAP. If not, I.e., you will not be able to break your next year's contract, pass another exam or two and start sending résumés in January or so. Employers will understand if you can't start until June. that is, if they want you badly enough and more than the second-best candidate.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:19 PM
SOA

College: Umass-Amherst

Ok thanks, and I still easily could break my contract for next year without affecting my conscience, but I actually want to teach for at least another year. I've been teaching in very low-income, high-need schools, switching to the polar opposite side of the tracks next year. Who knows, I may end up liking teaching again...

Thanks for the advice, ideally I'll get 3 exams under my belt by November and I'll start contacting employers in January.

I know it has been stated that NYC, Hartford and a few other east coast cities are kind of where it's at, but it seems like the SF Bay area should have a decent sized insurance industry somewhere out here...Anyone know anything about that?
Old 05-23-2016, 03:22 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
As I stated, it will not help you with your EL position (or very little), but if you've already chosen the path that you want to be on, don't hold back.

-Riley
Or rather, don't choose the path you want to be on before you're hired. That's dumb. P&C circlejerk aside, there's no reason for a candidate to be dead set on the SOA or CAS career path before even getting hired.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:31 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsnyder36 View Post
Ok thanks, and I still easily could break my contract for next year without affecting my conscience, but I actually want to teach for at least another year. I've been teaching in very low-income, high-need schools, switching to the polar opposite side of the tracks next year. Who knows, I may end up liking teaching again...

Thanks for the advice, ideally I'll get 3 exams under my belt by November and I'll start contacting employers in January.

I know it has been stated that NYC, Hartford and a few other east coast cities are kind of where it's at, but it seems like the SF Bay area should have a decent sized insurance industry somewhere out here...Anyone know anything about that?
SOA website has a directory with a search feature. Some health companies, some consultants. I'm not sure there are any actuaries in the "Transamerica" Building (not sure that is still the name).
Try "94*" as the ZIP code for NoCal.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:42 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
Or rather, don't choose the path you want to be on before you're hired. That's dumb. P&C circlejerk aside, there's no reason for a candidate to be dead set on the SOA or CAS career path before even getting hired.
le p&c
Old 05-23-2016, 03:53 PM
SOA

Studying for FSA Exams

FWIW, I specifically remember one of the directors at my current position asking the following question during my interview, "I see you have passed two exams, are you planning on sitting for any other exams in the near future?" I replied, "Definitely. But I wanted to wait until I have some experience in the actuarial field before pursuing further examinations." I remember his expression seemed to agree with my statement.

Now I am helping him interview candidates for another EL position. In talking to him, he has crossed off anyone with 5 or more exams who applied. He said he would consider a 4 exam person if local (my job likes local people).

This is just one scenario and most likely does not describe every hiring manager. Just giving my experience.

Good Luck!!!
Old 05-23-2016, 03:56 PM
SOA AAA

Agreed that there are all kinds of hiring actuaries with various preferences and turn-offs. That's why sending résumés everywhere should help in finding someone who likes your résumé over all others.
No guarantees, though.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:38 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillTreaty View Post
Now I am helping him interview candidates for another EL position. In talking to him, he has crossed off anyone with 5 or more exams who applied. He said he would consider a 4 exam person if local (my job likes local people).
Does he also cross off people who don't send him a thank you letter?

-Riley
Old 05-23-2016, 04:50 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
Well, I don't think it is dumb, but trying to play life as efficiently as possible is an actuarial trait.

In my opinion, you shouldn't hesitate to go towards the things you want now, even if you change your mind in the future. This applies to everything. More often than not, you will be ahead.

-Riley