Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 03-18-2020, 01:23 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobot View Post
I only have PA and LTAM left (modules are done). I don't want to waste a ton of effort prepping for PA in June if it's going to be postponed as well.

I'm thinking I might just use this as an opportunity to slow down the amount of hours I study and get a little more family time and a better balance.

Is anyone considering starting the FSA modules? I think you technically can do it in any order. It would feel like you're still making progress.
I was thinking about the same thing but not sure if my company will reimburse for the FSA modules when I'm not an ASA yet..

If the exam is postponed to, say August, are they going to release the result before we can register for the October exam?

I really do not like this uncertainty....
Old 03-19-2020, 07:55 AM
SOA

Studying for STAM

That's a good point about reimbursements, but I suppose you could argue they will need to pay for it eventually. Maybe they are hedging their risk and paying now before they could potentially increase the price of the modules.. worth a shot.

Yeah, I'm concerned about the results too. So do we take the test in August for example, then keep studying and take it again in Oct to be safe? Ugh, that would be the worst.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:49 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam C
College: Rutgers University
Favorite beer: Southern Tier Mokah

In the wake of this Covid-19 debacle, figuring it might as well be worthwhile to keep studying to (hopefully) ensure a pass in the Summer.

What formulas are you guys memorizing with regards to Reserve methods? Is it worth memorizing all 7 of the ones provided in the TIA formula sheet? Realistically, I think retrospective, prospective, and the annuity/life insurance forms will cover most if not all scenarios...
APC
Old 04-02-2020, 05:02 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for LTAM
College: Drake University Alum
Favorite beer: New Glarus Spotted Cow

Exam rescheduled for July 17th. Was planning on taking the afternoon off that day, so I guess now I won't have to use my PTO. Hopefully the world isn't shit by then.
Old Today, 09:01 AM
SOA

Studying for STAM

What's everyone's approach to the adjusted date?

I've already gone through TIA once and am now spending time figuring out the sections I struggled with. I don't think I'm ready to start doing practice exams this early.

This is a real endurance test.