Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-17-2018, 09:19 PM
SOA

Default Resume Critique - Pre ASA

Hi All,

I have been reading the AO for the past year or so and finally decided to join. I have been working in a government actuarial position for the past 3 years after starting off as a math teacher. I am looking to move on from my government position and would appreciate any criticism and/or advice you can give regarding my resume.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by booyakasha13; 05-26-2018 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: UPDATED RESUME
Old 05-18-2018, 06:01 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

I'd indent all the text under the section headings a little. That'll make the overall format stand out more and will generally make the resume look more open. If you do that, you won't need to underline the section headings.

I'd abbreviate all months and would right justify dates on the right margin.

Except maybe exam dates, which I would probably make left aligned and near the exam/passed. I'd change the order of the exams to exam, passed/results pending, date. And whether or not you move the dates, I'd left align the passed/results pending but keep it fairly near the exam. It may just be because you've started with the different passed and awaiting, but it seems hard to line up the dates with the exams, which makes me think moving the dates to the left would be desirable. I'd go with the easier-to-parse "Met requirements for VEE Economics and Applied Statistics".

I don't know that there's really any reason to separate out the actuarial experience as long as the job title indicates actuarial experience.

I'd separate city, state from the rest with a comma rather than a hyphen. A hyphen is just more ambiguous and makes you have to look more to understand its purpose. It's not where you want the reader spending time looking.

It seems like a lot of bullets, which makes me not want to read it. Keep it simple, avoid detail that won't help sell you. Try to use stronger words to start your bullets - "assist" is particularly weak and "study" is not a good word to use because it makes you think of being a student rather than in doing work.

You can probably lose (most of) the space between the job title and bullets. If you lose that and the prev work hist heading and some bullet space, you'll be able to put a little space between the other jobs.

I'd avoid italics, as it is harder to read.

Can you reasonably combine the two teaching positions? Just don't list the school, then you don't need to distinguish that it was two jobs. The assumption would probably just be that you worked at more than one school in the city (which is true enough, although maybe not as they thought of it) and wouldn't seem at all odd.

If you have the space, I'd probably list the school, city, st on a separate line from the degree and major. Again, avoid the hypens. I'd abbreviate M.S. and B.A. I'd probably not bullet the gpa, but would line it up with the rest. With the fairly deep indentation with the bullet, the education section takes more work to read than most (although there's more there than most). I might consider dumping the honors. Or at least dean's list. They're just not important enough to force squeezing the rest of the resume.

You didn't use Excel, Access, SQL, or SAS or anything else notable in your job? Experience in using them is way better than what you've listed, imo. "enrolled" (whether active or not) pretty much implies you don't have skills in them currently, which I think does not sell you well. If that's really all you can claim, that's fine, but I think that if you have experience, putting the focus on TIA isn't what sells you best. No matter what you do, I'd leave off the "Microsoft"s and I'd just list VBA separately rather than making it a parenthetical "including". Even if you have to only list TIA for skills, I think I'd rewrite it. Your focus is on the course (specializing in...), and not on what you've learned or are learning. And don't use "actively". Or "enrolled".
Old 05-22-2018, 07:02 PM
SOA

vjvj,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review my resume.

I revamped the format and really shortened the amount of bullets and fluff. I have uploaded the updated version.

Couple of questions:

1) Is the exam section easier to read now?

2) Does my lone actuarial job still stand out using my format?

3) Are the bullets simple enough?

4) Thoughts on the Technical skills bullet? I have been practicing VBA but am not yet comfortable adding it as I am not proficient in it yet.

Thank you again!

Last edited by booyakasha13; 05-26-2018 at 05:19 PM..