Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:55 PM
SOA

Studying for Life ALM & Modeling
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat? View Post
An "up & down" is when you play a short shot (pitch/chip/sand shot) onto the green and putt it once. For the pros, they also call it "saving par", which assumes you were close enough on the Par-2 shot to be able to pitch once and putt once to achieve par.

This stat would help you understand your short game better. If you go 1/14 on up/downs, either your putting or your pitching game is failing you. It's similar to keeping track of 3-putts, where either your first putt is not getting you close enough, or your short putts (2-6 feet) aren't going in, or both.
Thanks, I now understand what an "up & down" is. However, what do you mean by "1/14?" Did you mean to say 1/18, so once every 18 holes?
Old 08-16-2019, 04:16 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
Thanks, I now understand what an "up & down" is. However, what do you mean by "1/14?" Did you mean to say 1/18, so once every 18 holes?
I'm assuming that for a person that's aiming to shoot under 100, you might get 0-4 greens in regulation (actually on the green in Par-2) or hit the green with a full shot into the green. If so, then up-down is not applicable to that hole. I just took 4 greens as an estimate.

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:21 PM
SOA

Quote:
I'm assuming that for a person that's aiming to shoot under 100, you might get 0-4 greens in regulation (actually on the green in Par-2) or hit the green with a full shot into the green. If so, then up-down is not applicable to that hole. I just took 4 greens as an estimate.
Ok thanks, yes 0-4 GIR on a good day is a good estimate.

So I already track my putts and GIR. I'll track Ups & downs as my other stat (on my own, without the app's help). Tracking the others would be cumbersome without an app.

For an "up & down," from what distance would you say failing a one-putt would be a failure? Counting failed chips/pitches is easy.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:14 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer

Quote:
Ok thanks, yes 0-4 GIR on a good day is a good estimate.

So I already track my putts and GIR. I'll track Ups & downs as my other stat (on my own, without the app's help). Tracking the others would be cumbersome without an app.

For an "up & down," from what distance would you say failing a one-putt would be a failure? Counting failed chips/pitches is easy.
Anything where you use the putter and are on the green.

If you chip on, but are 60 feet away, you need to sink the putt in order to get an up & down. If that makes your up/down statistic bad, it probably should - chipping to 60 feet is not going to help your score.

If you are just off the green and use the putter, I consider the first stroke the "up" and the 2nd putt to be the "down". (Arguably, you could consider any stroke with the putter to be your first putt - in which case, getting near, but not on, the green in Par-2 is essentially a GIR. IMO, it's your call.)

Old 08-17-2019, 10:11 AM
SOA

Quote:
Oh, and if you haven't already, start taking stats on your play. Not just strokes, but a basic breakdown should include:

- Putts
- FIR/GIR (Fairways/Greens)
- Up/Downs
- Chips/Pitches (anything shorter than a full-swing on an approach to the green)
- Sand Saves
- Penalty Strokes
Now I'm curious to track them all so I can really work on my weaknesses.

Regarding chips/pitches, I'm guessing you mean to track whether the chips/pitches make their way onto the green? (And not necessarily giving me a one-putt opportunity).
Old 08-18-2019, 03:30 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer

Quote:
Now I'm curious to track them all so I can really work on my weaknesses.

Regarding chips/pitches, I'm guessing you mean to track whether the chips/pitches make their way onto the green? (And not necessarily giving me a one-putt opportunity).
Or counting the number of chips/putts per hole. I will readily admit that I've had numerous rounds go awry because of dodgy short game and get like 2-3 chips on a few holes.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:15 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Some holes you will actually hit the green, so he is assuming you need to pitch on 14. Strictly an example
Old 08-18-2019, 09:04 PM
SOA

I played at a 12-hole (mix of par 3, 4, 5) course today. Good news is I was driving the ball 230-240 yards with my regular flex 13 degree Nike Sasquatch Sumo driver. This is the first time I drove the ball so consistently and also more than 175 yards. Bad news is my short game was awful (pitching from 50-100 yards), so I'm thinking about taking lessons for them.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:47 AM
SOA

I also played yesterday at a new course to me and my buddy. We both shot a 98 on the round (no gimmes and 1 mulligan for the round). Wasn't a very long course, but was pretty tight and with a decent amount of OB. The course was not in very good condition though, a lot of bare dirt or patchy grass on fairways or greenside. On top of that, the round had a very slow pace. Think it ended up being a decent bit over 5 hours to finish the round with the first 3 holes in particular taking close to an hour probably.

Ball striking was pretty good for a majority of the round. Started off 6 over through 2 however. The lack of course knowledge played in a role in those holes more so than my ball striking. I forget my exact splits, but had a pretty good finish to the front 9 and kept it going most of the back 9. Was in a good position coming down the stretch but had some massive short game mistakes resulting in back to back double bogeys on 16 and 17 when at most I should have been 1 over through the two holes. Then on the par 5 18 I hit my tee shot into the water and got an 8, meaning I finished 7 over on the last 3 holes, 2 of which I was in prime position for a par or bogey at most.

I did make a trip to the driving range last week as well. Some of the swing kinks I worked out there definitely helped in my round yesterday. I was getting some serious power on my irons, more than I can remember. I absolutely flushed a 9 iron about 140 yards carry distance when it has been my 125-135 club since I started playing. Good problem to have I guess, and I did adjust my distances throughout the round to match.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:03 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
I also played yesterday at a new course to me and my buddy. We both shot a 98 on the round (no gimmes and 1 mulligan for the round). Wasn't a very long course, but was pretty tight and with a decent amount of OB. The course was not in very good condition though, a lot of bare dirt or patchy grass on fairways or greenside. On top of that, the round had a very slow pace. Think it ended up being a decent bit over 5 hours to finish the round with the first 3 holes in particular taking close to an hour probably.

Ball striking was pretty good for a majority of the round. Started off 6 over through 2 however. The lack of course knowledge played in a role in those holes more so than my ball striking. I forget my exact splits, but had a pretty good finish to the front 9 and kept it going most of the back 9. Was in a good position coming down the stretch but had some massive short game mistakes resulting in back to back double bogeys on 16 and 17 when at most I should have been 1 over through the two holes. Then on the par 5 18 I hit my tee shot into the water and got an 8, meaning I finished 7 over on the last 3 holes, 2 of which I was in prime position for a par or bogey at most.

I did make a trip to the driving range last week as well. Some of the swing kinks I worked out there definitely helped in my round yesterday. I was getting some serious power on my irons, more than I can remember. I absolutely flushed a 9 iron about 140 yards carry distance when it has been my 125-135 club since I started playing. Good problem to have I guess, and I did adjust my distances throughout the round to match.
That's pretty good. I'll be playing my first 18-hole game this coming Saturday. How did you get good at your short game? I was trying to make half or three-quarter swings with my 9i and Pw, but I think that led to me coming over the top and screwing up my shots completely.

I also received the previous season FJ Pro SL shoes today, and somehow they don't feel as comfortable as the current season ones they feel tight on the inner side of my feet (the part we use to make a pass in soccer). Maybe I need 8W and not 8M...