Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 02-02-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlomo View Post
I guess some people just don't want to be around a guy who throws a sucker punch at a fellow player and then runs away.

I guess it might hurt your team to act like that and then miss 15 games. Maybe players who do that kind of stuff don't belong on all star team.

Missing games because of injury is one thing, missing games because you are a punk is something else.
Some people want to be around a guy who comes in to defend his teammate when he gets tackled by a goon who's only reason to be in the game is to hurt someone.

If that type of fight had happened at virtually any other time in NBA history, it probably would have been a 5 game suspension at most. He didn't cry about it, he apologized, served his 15 games without appealing, and learned his lesson. It's time to move on.

If you want to exclude every player who ever threw a punch during a game from players who you'd want on your team, you'd be excluding a lot of great players. Dr. J, Kareem, Bird, Barkley, KG, etc, etc. Are they all punks too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooBeay View Post
Didn't the Nets just slap the Nuggets at home? Maybe .500 in the West isn't what you think. And most the players you listed aren't going to the All-Star game.
Denver is 13-8 vs the East, over 0.600.

So, in other words, you think that any player who isn't an all-star shouldn't even be playing in the NBA? Interesting.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:13 PM

Is that the only way melo plays defense? Sucker punches? I don't think the great players reached around a coach to a guy with his hands down and then ran away like a coward.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlomo View Post
Is that the only way melo plays defense? Sucker punches? I don't think the great players reached around a coach to a guy with his hands down and then ran away like a coward.
melo is top 25 in the NBA in steals. i wouldn't call him a very good defender, but he's improved.

do great players break their own hand throwing a punch at a player who can't even see them coming? scroll down to post #143. somehow, this player ended up getting one of the most celebrated farewell tours in NBA history before he retired, so it seems like it wasn't held against him for very long. he didn't wear cornrows, though.

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...t=94949&page=6
Old 02-08-2007, 12:48 AM

Favorite beer: Blue Moon

courtesy of espn:
Anthony, who scored 27 points, had thrown up an airball with 2.9 seconds left in regulation and the game tied at 103.

Nuggets are now below .500, including tonight with the return of iverson.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 AM
AktŁerler Derneği

Favorite beer: PBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
courtesy of espn:
Anthony, who scored 27 points, had thrown up an airball with 2.9 seconds left in regulation and the game tied at 103.

Nuggets are now below .500, including tonight with the return of iverson.
You have to wonder with Wade winning a title last year and now with all star Chris Bosh scoring 41 tonight for a team that is now 3 games over .500 if the Nuggets still think they made a good decision.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:59 AM
James Washer / Notes Contributor
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Raschke View Post
You have to wonder with Wade winning a title last year
Did Shaq have anything to do with that title? Based on the Heat's record this year, I'd have to lean towards yes.

We help people pass actuarial exams.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentin cassidy View Post
Some people want to be around a guy who comes in to defend his teammate when he gets tackled by a goon who's only reason to be in the game is to hurt someone.

If that type of fight had happened at virtually any other time in NBA history, it probably would have been a 5 game suspension at most. He didn't cry about it, he apologized, served his 15 games without appealing, and learned his lesson. It's time to move on.

If you want to exclude every player who ever threw a punch during a game from players who you'd want on your team, you'd be excluding a lot of great players. Dr. J, Kareem, Bird, Barkley, KG, etc, etc. Are they all punks too?

Denver is 13-8 vs the East, over 0.600.

So, in other words, you think that any player who isn't an all-star shouldn't even be playing in the NBA? Interesting.
No, I don't think Carmelo is a true MVP candidate this year. Did you mention Rip and Billips on that list? Don't they have rings? I mean eventhough they play in the JV league they still have rings. Same with Wade. How is the varsity league treating Carmelo? Oh yeah, he got his ring in college.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Raschke View Post
You have to wonder with Wade winning a title last year and now with all star Chris Bosh scoring 41 tonight for a team that is now 3 games over .500 if the Nuggets still think they made a good decision.
Bosh would not be an all star if he were in the West. His team probably wouldn't be over 0.500 either. Toronto has missed the playoffs in the NBDL (aka the Eastern Conf.) the past 3 years, and Denver has made it all 3 years in the West.

Melo leads the NBA at 31ppg compared to Bosh's 23. Please explain how Bosh's single-season high of 41 is at all significant. Is that how we're ranking players now? I guess Jamal Crawford is a top 5 NBA player. He did score 52 in a game once this year, you know.

Do you think Iverson would've wanted to go to Denver if Chris Bosh was there instead of Melo? I think not.

Denver needs to get Melo, Iverson and Camby on the court together before we can assess how good they can be.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:31 AM

Favorite beer: Blue Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentin cassidy View Post
Bosh would not be an all star if he were in the West.
you must not have seen bosh play huh?
Old 02-08-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooBeay View Post
No, I don't think Carmelo is a true MVP candidate this year. Did you mention Rip and Billips on that list? Don't they have rings? I mean eventhough they play in the JV league they still have rings. Same with Wade. How is the varsity league treating Carmelo? Oh yeah, he got his ring in college.
I can't figure out how this post can be considered a response to the one you quoted.

When did I call Carmelo an MVP candidate? In the NBA thread, I have said that no one who misses 15 games should be an MVP candidate.
What list are you talking about? The only list in the post you quoted was a list of great players who've thrown punches during games.
The current #1 seed in the East would be 6th in the West.

Last edited by quentin cassidy; 02-08-2007 at 10:48 AM..