Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Fellowship Modules > Financial Economics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 01-08-2014, 07:50 PM

Submitted so just to be on the safe side I won't say more unless I have to redo and can discuss.

Last edited by UFActuary; 01-08-2014 at 08:47 PM..
Old 02-19-2014, 04:10 PM
SOA

I'm working on this now. I just wanted to make a general observation. Does anyone else think it is strange that so many people have the PPO plan option? The only thing you pay under EPO is a $10 copay for doc visit and $25 copay for ER visit. AND... you pay alot lower premium than you would for the PPO.

I see that most of the enrollees do have the EPO, but I'm surprised that so many people still have the PPO, given the situation. The EPO just seems like a no-brainer. Both plans use the same network so it's not like people stick with the PPO because they would lose their doctor if they switched. I mean, the EPO doesn't have Out of Network benefits so maybe if your doctor is out-of-network you would want to keep the PPO. But at least 80% of utilization is in network depending on the location. It just doesn't make sense to me, but I realize that it's just a made-up scenario.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:04 AM
SOA

If anyone wants to discuss this module, send me a private message. I will probably try to wrap it up in the next week or two.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:39 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing!

I'm working on this one right now and kind of stumbling along, trying to make the best use out of what has already been discussed on this thread. If anyone is working on this as well and wants to discuss, PM me.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:42 PM
SOA

Anyone working on this?

I'm on Task2B.2: is there a discussion on HDHPs that I missed somewhere along the way? I can intuitively come to some conclusions, but it would be helpful if there was something to refer to.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:11 PM
SOA

Studying for Core

If anyone is working on this now, PM me so we can talk it over. I am hoping to finish it in the next few weeks before I start studying again. Don't want to miss anything easy
Old 09-02-2014, 11:45 PM
SOA

College: UCONN Alumni

I'm working on this now.

For Task 2A.2, shouldn't the estimated savings also reflect the decrease in the employee contribution by switching from PPO to EPO for each location?
Old 09-25-2014, 11:23 AM
SOA AAA

College: Penn State University

I am working on this now and I am having a hard time with Task 2B. Specifically, explaining why Seattle's cost are so much higher than the other areas. One obvious answer is the provider discounts, but as has been mentioned in other posts this does not explain everything. At least I don't think it does. The only other glaring difference that I can find is the disparity in income. I believe that this would definitely have something to do with it but I cannot find anything in the module describing a definitive link between income level and how costly the enrollee is. I would assume, although I can find no evidence of this, that this would imply a group that would be more blue collar than the rest and that this might explain some of the increase due to type of work, diet, health habits, etc. Does anyone have any thoughts on this that they would like to share? Thank you for the help.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:09 PM

Have you looked at the average Age/Gender or anything to do with health status for each market?
Old 09-25-2014, 02:09 PM
SOA AAA

College: Penn State University

Age/gender factor is below national average and prevalence of chronic conditions and tobacco use are either around average or below average for each plan. I am new to Group Health as most of my career has been in the Life field so some of the terminology and concepts are new to me. You could say I am starting at the back of the pack but I am employed by the State in a Group Health capacity and thought this would be a good track to continue my FSA with.
I had read that the combination of an age/gender factor greater than 1 and average annual salary lower than everyone else implied an older population but I don't have any other evidence of this. Is this a reasonable assumption to make? Again, thanks everyone for any help you can provide on this.