Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Actuarial Science Universities Forum > Valparaiso University
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Valparaiso University Chair: Shane Drew, PhD, ASA
http://www.valpo.edu/actsci/

Old 01-07-2008, 04:35 PM
SOA AAA

Default Chicago Actuarial Association

Since Chicago is only a little more than an hour away from Valpo, I thought it would be a good idea to make all of you current Valpo students aware of events sponsored by the Chicago Actuarial Association. In addition to being educational, these events would give you fantastic opportunities for networking.

The CAA website is at http://home.comcast.net/~chicagoactuarial/actuary.html, and you can see about upcoming events by clicking on the "Future Events" tab at the top or by visiting http://home.comcast.net/~chicagoactu...re_events.html.

Most events are open to college students, and I'll try to do my best to make you aware of events that would be particularly beneficial to you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

-Joe
Old 01-07-2008, 04:41 PM
SOA AAA

Default January 2008 Joint Meeting with the IABA

There is going to be a CAA meeting on January 18th at the CNA building (the big red building - 333 S. Wabash in Chicago). Here's the description according to the CAA website:
Topic: Health Care Reform Proposals / IABA Chicago Affiliate Networking Event

A brief meeting agenda and a 30-minute presentation on Health Care Reform Proposals will be followed by networking and comedic entertainment at this joint meeting of the IABA and CAA. This IABA event brings together actuarial professionals, recruiters, educators and college students in the Chicago area. For more information about the IABA, see www.blackactuaries.org

Speaker: Bob Kieckhefer, Vice President, Public Affairs - Health Care Service Corporation
All candidates campaigning to become President of the United States have addressed Health Care Reform as a key issue. Mr. Kieckhefer will discuss some elements of their diverse proposals to assure all Americans have access to affordable and competent health care when necessary.
The topic seems pretty interesting, although I will be out of town and unable to attend myself. Still, it might be worth the drive for you guys. If you're interested in attending, email David James (David.James@cna.com).

Also, check out the Future Events page at the CAA website (http://home.comcast.net/~chicagoactu...re_events.html) for more info about this and other upcoming events. (Note especially the March workshops - these are probably the highlight of the year as far as CAA programs are concerned.)

As always, let me know if you have any questions.

-Joe
Old 01-10-2008, 07:05 PM

Thanks for making this thread, Joe!

Quick question - are the March workshops only open to CAA members?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:16 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuleGirl View Post
Quick question - are the March workshops only open to CAA members?
Sorry for the slow response, but I was waiting on some emails to confirm details. Alas, the details still aren't completely confirmed. But I was able to find out that, as far as my source knows, the workshops are open to non-members, but for a different price (he didn't know what that price was going to be). He seemed to think that we would want to encourage attendance from local colleges.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:22 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
Sorry for the slow response, but I was waiting on some emails to confirm details. Alas, the details still aren't completely confirmed. But I was able to find out that, as far as my source knows, the workshops are open to non-members, but for a different price (he didn't know what that price was going to be). He seemed to think that we would want to encourage attendance from local colleges.
Not only are students allowed to come to the workshops, but they also get a discounted price. These prices still might change, but as of now, you can attend the sessions and get dinner for $45 (normally $75), or you can attend the sessions only for $30 (normally $60).

The workshops will be held March 18 at the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza in Chicago.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:39 PM
SOA AAA

Here is the official information regarding the CAA March Workshops. Hope you guys can attend. Let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Mar08d.pdf (53.2 KB, 1248 views)
Old 12-29-2008, 01:52 PM
SOA AAA

Default Chicago Actuarial Association welcomes nonmembers

The correct URL for the Chicago Actuarial Association is
http://ChicagoActuarialAssociation.org

Future meetings are listed at http://meeting.chicagoactuarialassociation.org

Nonmembers are welcome to attend all of our events.
Full-time students may attend meetings for a discounted (or free ) cost.