Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Actuarial Science Universities Forum > Valparaiso University
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Valparaiso University Chair: Shane Drew, PhD, ASA
http://www.valpo.edu/actsci/

Old 01-10-2008, 01:48 PM

Today was the first day back for actuary classes. I let my classmates know of this discussion board, so we will hopefully have some more students joining us soon.

I have also started looking into what it takes to start a club on campus. Looks like a lengthy process, but I will keep everyone updated on progress. Even if it takes some time to be "officially recognized," I think that this will also be a great way for students to communicate their needs to the faculty.

Thanks JLW for offering your "alumni support." If anyone else has any advice or guidance, it would be much appreciated!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:59 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfetz11 View Post
Hello, I thought I would post on here ha. I am a sophmore at Valparaiso University studying actuarial science obviously. I am taking exam P in May! (Yikes haha) As I am from East Central Indiana I was wondering is there much of a chance of getting a job in Indianapolis? All I hear about is Chicago.
Yes, there is. I work in the Indy metro area. There are several companies that employ actuaries - the first ones that come to mind are OneAmerica (formely AUL), WellPoint, Conseco, Farm Bureau, Golden Rule... as well as a handful of consulting firms.

You may want to visit www.soa.org and search the directory (use Indianapolis as the city, or some of the above companies).
Old 06-03-2008, 06:24 PM
CAS AAA

College: UI, Valpo

Hello all. I'm a 2004 VU grad. The Class of 2004 was the first at VU to have any students graduate with the Act Sci major; I think there were about five total. Alas, I was not one of them. I was a Finance & Econ double major.

Today I work in the Akron/Cleveland area for a property-casualty insurance company as an actuarial analyst. I've got 6-7 CAS exams done (results pending), and I like the field. Ironically, I was good friends with 3 Act Sci majors in my class, but none of them are working as actuaries today. This goes to show how exams are the great equalizer. As was said before, an Act Sci major is nice to have, but it has little meaning until you pair it with passed exams. That said, I'm more than willing to lend to a hand to any VU student that has questions or needs advice!

I just discovered this thread, so I look forward to frequent visits in the future.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:00 PM
SOA AAA

The Indianapolis Actuarial Club will be hosting its student meeting on Wednesday, November 19. This is a great opportunity to meet established and aspiring actuaries in the Indianapolis area. I have already sent the notice to Shane Drew, but if you are interested in attending, the deadline is today (per our admin assistant), so please contact him ASAP. Meeting agenda below:

Topic: One actuary’s career life-cycle: student to chief actuary to entrepreneur.

When: Wednesday November 19, 2008

Where: Radisson Indpls Carmel
251 East Pennsylvania Parkway
Indpls, IN 46280 (directions below)
317 – 574 – 4600

Time: 6:00pm Social
6:30pm Buffet (see below)
7:15pm Speaker

Cost: University guests free
Old 05-25-2010, 09:09 AM
Non-Actuary

I see the good ole Valpo thread has come and gone. I am going to try to revive it. Who else is still lurking out there from Valpo as a student or a professional. I am an alumni looking to career change. I just passed FM and am starting my job search. Stand up Crusaders! Where are ya?