Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-20-2020, 01:25 PM
CAS

Free Epic games this week are Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Fareria.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 02-29-2020, 09:49 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Finally finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider last night. I started it probably a year ago, but kept putting it aside for the new hotness, then coming back to it for a bit before I found a new new hotness.

Really good game, and I really liked the whole reboot trilogy, but it was probably my least favorite of the 3.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 03-01-2020, 01:08 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Replaying Ori on my Switch. New Ori comes out in a couple weeks, and I'm psyched -- my favorite game of 2015.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:11 AM
Non-Actuary

Free PS+ games for March are Sonic Forces and Shadow of the Colossus. The former is a 3D Sonic game with middling reviews, and the latter is a well received PS2 title remastered for the PS4. I donít really have too much interest in either game, but I might try Sonic, as Iíve never played a 3D Sonic game before. I liked Sonic Mania, but that was more of a throwback to the Sega Genesis era, so it had nostalgia going for it. For comparison, Metacritic gave Sonic Mania an 86/100, but Sonic Forces only got 57/100. Reviews seem to criticize the plot, but Iím okay with a game having a dumb plot if itís fun to play. User reviews seem more positive than critical reviews, so Iím hoping I can have some fun with it even if itís nothing groundbreaking. That said, Iím not sure how Sonic translates to 3D, which Iím guessing contributes to the lower score. Shadow of the Colossus doesnít seem like my thing at all, but reviews are so positive that I might give it a shot at some point (91/100 on Metacritic). It's way down the list though in my ever increasing backlog.

As for the February games, I didnít even download Bioshock. Iíve heard itís supposed to be good, but it never jumped out as something I have to play right away. Another game to add to the backlog (actually another three games). I didnít play The Sims either, but my wife enjoys it, and itís a fun game to watch her play from the couch (some of the interactions are downright hilarious). I might eventually start my own game, but Iím having more fun watching her play. There was also a VR game, but I donít have PS VR, so I couldnít play that one. I still claimed it though on the off-chance that I eventually get a PS VR system in the future.

As an aside, Iím also wondering if all of this coronavirus stuff will lead to PS5 delays. People were expecting that system in November 2020, but weíre already in March 2020 with virtually no news yet. Where does the manufacturing take place? Will the various quarantines lead to supply chain disruptions and delays? I donít think the consoles themselves are manufactured in China, but presumably, a lot of the underlying components are. Itíll be interesting to see how it plays out.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
Finally finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider last night. I started it probably a year ago, but kept putting it aside for the new hotness, then coming back to it for a bit before I found a new new hotness.

Really good game, and I really liked the whole reboot trilogy, but it was probably my least favorite of the 3.
Loved Tomb Raider, enjoyed Rise of the Tomb Raider, heard so much bad about Shadow that I never picked it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
Free PS+ games for March are Sonic Forces and Shadow of the Colossus. The former is a 3D Sonic game with middling reviews, and the latter is a well received PS2 title remastered for the PS4.

As an aside, Iím also wondering if all of this coronavirus stuff will lead to PS5 delays. People were expecting that system in November 2020, but weíre already in March 2020 with virtually no news yet. Where does the manufacturing take place? Will the various quarantines lead to supply chain disruptions and delays? I donít think the consoles themselves are manufactured in China, but presumably, a lot of the underlying components are. Itíll be interesting to see how it plays out.
Actually, SotC on PS4 is a remake, not a remaster. Yes, there's a difference and it's a big difference.

I don't think Coronavirus will lead to a PS5 delay, I think it will just lead to a PS5 shortage. Same with Xbox Series consoles. So, it may lead to a personal delay. IMO, the reason there hasn't been a lot of news about the PS5, is because Sony wants to release their information on their own terms. Also, I think they are playing a little wait and see with Microsoft. They're pretty confident that the XSX is going to have a full reveal at E3 with a price. I think Sony will have a "State of Play" shortly after E3 (or during, but after MS conference) that drops their price to either match XSX or undercut it. For a console that isn't coming out until November and may have production issues, releasing information on it in mid/late June is really reasonable.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:45 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
Free PS+ games for March are Sonic Forces and Shadow of the Colossus.
Never really got into Sonic... but I really liked Ico and The Last Guardian, so I might give Shadow of the Colossus a shot.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:51 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

I played Prey a few weeks back, for the second time. I played it when it first came out... and then got distracted and just forgot I even owned it. I enjoyed re-playing it, this time with no typhon neuro-mods. And I finally killed a few nightmares - the first time through I just ran away from them because I'm a chicken.

Prey reminded me how much I like Arcane's style of game-play... so now I'm working my way through all of the Dishonored series. I finished up Dishonored, Knife of Dunwall, and Witches of Brigmore... and I started Dishonored 2 this past weekend. I'm about a third of the way through it. I figure I'll probably finish up Death of the Outsider late next week.

Then I'm going back to Prey, and do a run with a bunch of typhon neuro-mods, just to see what that's like.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:55 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoaminoneofyourbusiness View Post
Anyone here play Hades
I'm still playing Hades sometimes. Unlike strategy games, it's actually a good break from staring at spreadsheets and code.

As a non-action gamer, it took me like 20 tries just to beat, but after that it's a whole lot easier, due to having bought upgrades and having memorized most of the enemies. Also, it helps to just know what is going on behind all the flashing lights and laser sounds. I'm sure it will get impossibly hard again as I play deeper and deeper into the new-game+, but I'll probably quit before then anyway.

Also still playing "Mount and Blade" just because it's fun to ride around on a horse. I guess I should get RDR2 or whatever.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 03-06-2020 at 12:37 PM..
Old 03-06-2020, 09:13 AM

FF7 Remake demo came out and gosh darn it do I want to play this game even though it's not the full FF7 story. Then again, if they do this like the Dot Hack series worked, I would be fully down for that.

For those that don't know, Dot Hack released four games on the PS2 over the course of a year (I don't expect FF7R to have any kind of frequency like that) that comprised a four part story. Each game was roughly 20 hours and had a level cap (IIRC, it was like 25/50/75/100). Then you could import your character to the next game (or start on that game with a new character that wasn't at the cap of the previous game). I remember having a lot of fun with that, because I would finish the game, then keep playing to max out my cap.

I could also see future sections being DLC add-ons. My concern though, is this is coming out at the end of a console cycle, so transferring over progress to the next one is worrisome, because I will want to play them on the PS5.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
Hit one of my long time goals in Rocket League earlier this week by reaching Grand Champion rank in the extra mode Dropshot. I enjoy the game mode quite a bit which did help, but the games are very intense and really push my abilities constantly. I've played many, many games of dropshot in the last year and it was extremely satisfying to hit a "reach" goal like that one was for me after failing to hit it in past seasons. Now holding Grand Champ in all the extra modes as well as normal 2s and 3s!
That's awesome. Still my favorite game mode. My playtime has dropped off a bit lately. Sitting low diamond in dropshot, though.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one