Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 10-27-2018, 06:59 PM
SOA

[quote=TranceBrah;9466232]I don't want to roast you too hard so I'll keep my reply short...
- From your comments its obvious you don't have a good grasp on the reserve topic.

QUOTE]

I am not good at solving non-level benefits and non-level expense with other methods, so I did from first principle and prospective method to be safe. That way if I did something wrong in the middle, I would not miss a lot partial credits.

If you did reserve recursion correctly, then you would earn full credits. However, if you had something wrong within any numbers plugged in recursion and just a general recursion formula on the top, it would affect the partial credits in the end.

I just used equivalence principle to calculate EPV(benefits), EPV(expenses), and EPV(premiums) separately, so I get at least full credits for each component I did correctly. That's also easy to check numeric mistakes before lump each part together in the end. They will not keep deducting points from a small mistake in the beginning that get carried over until the end result. That's what I heard from others.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:02 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IacceptTheTerms View Post
Exactly what I was thinking! Was debating after the exam with a friend about this haha
Was that something censored and death listed separately? You add censored and death together to get r. Then death (s) / r for each sum together to get H, then e^(-H) = S.

I thought they were going to test something harder.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:08 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by windows7forever View Post
Was that something censored and death listed separately? You add censored and death together to get r. Then death (s) / r for each sum together to get H, then e^(-H) = S.

I thought they were going to test something harder.
Yeah that was it but why do you add censored to the risk set though, what's the point of doing this if you already have the risk set at that time? They already subtracted it? Well that's how I understood it and did the same thing as the guy who replied above but I'm not 100% sure, might be wrong I was anxious the whole exam.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:22 PM
SOA

Quote:
I do not remember the question, but I recalled there was a table with censored and death. I usually draw a line graph to set them up (death, withdrawal, new entry, r)at different times in C, but that question did not need to do these.

Or do you think that question was not clear? Or do you think it's death/censored (that censored was r - death - withdrawal already)?
I don't think we're talking about the same question, this one you're talking about is the one that starts with 20 people. I'm talking about the other one where we are given only the risk set at each time and the deaths.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:27 PM
SOA

Quote:
I don't think we're talking about the same question, this one you're talking about is the one that starts with 20 people. I'm talking about the other one where we are given only the risk set at each time and the deaths.
Yeah that's how I got confused. I deleted my comment, since I did not remember the other KM question at all. I worked both out and there's a match with one of choices on both questions. But the one with NA, I was a bit off from the matched choice like a number between two choices but somewhat close to one of choices.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:31 PM
SOA

Quote:
Did you think retiree and pension MC were easy? I saw each had a majority vote but there were other choices pretty spread in retiree.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:44 PM
SOA

Quote:
Did you think retiree and pension MC were easy? I saw each had a majority vote but there were other choices pretty spread in retiree.
Retiree benefits : no idea how to do it but I knew the i=0% so it equals ex-1 I think but couldn't find it. The pension one was a gimme a guess, that is the one to find the replacement ratio?

Last edited by IacceptTheTerms; 10-27-2018 at 07:47 PM..
Old 10-27-2018, 08:46 PM

Does anyone remember how points were assigned to every WA in the exam?
Old 10-27-2018, 09:24 PM
SOA

Quote:
Yeah that was it but why do you add censored to the risk set though, what's the point of doing this if you already have the risk set at that time? They already subtracted it? Well that's how I understood it and did the same thing as the guy who replied above but I'm not 100% sure, might be wrong I was anxious the whole exam.
I think I recall more now. The other one you were talking about asked for CI that used Greenwood formula. This one was different. The deaths were very small, and cesnored were large, so the way I said was wrong. That was probably why mine was close to one of five but did not match exactly.

Because deaths were much smaller than censored, do you think both ways will make big differences? In the end number had to be exponented to S, so there should not be a lot difference.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:55 PM
SOA

Quote:
I think I recall more now. The other one you were talking about asked for CI that used Greenwood formula. This one was different. The deaths were very small, and cesnored were large, so the way I said was wrong. That was probably why mine was close to one of five but did not match exactly.

Because deaths were much smaller than censored, do you think both ways will make big differences? In the end number had to be exponented to S, so there should not be a lot difference.
Depends on what you did? All I did was add up the s/r and exponentiate it? Not sure how many total questions there were on KM/NA, I remeber 2 of them.