Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-05-2017, 11:50 AM
CCA Non-Actuary

Default Is my plan realistic?

please remove post

Last edited by californiakrazy; 10-02-2017 at 08:53 AM..
Old 09-05-2017, 12:02 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiakrazy View Post
I took FM in august and failed, but I am fairly comfortable with the material. I work FT and was wondering which is better of the two options

1. Take FM in oct, P in nov, MFE in march

2. Take FM in oct, P in early jan, MFE late march

If I choose option 1, I would be studying both at the same time, and I am starting from scratch for P.

Thank you for the advice...
These options are practically identical. The exam window for MFE is only a one week period. There is not much difference between labeling it as "march" and "late march."

You should probably do option 2 though since you failed FM before. That should give you enough time to guarantee a pass for FM and possibly pass P with more studying time.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:17 PM
CCA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeAnActuaryOrNotToBe View Post
These options are practically identical. The exam window for MFE is only a one week period. There is not much difference between labeling it as "march" and "late march."

You should probably do option 2 though since you failed FM before. That should give you enough time to guarantee a pass for FM and possibly pass P with more studying time.
@ToBeAnActuaryOrNotToBe IS ~2 months enough for mfe? well late march i mean the latest possible date I guess!
Old 09-05-2017, 12:21 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Quote:
@ToBeAnActuaryOrNotToBe IS ~2 months enough for mfe? well late march i mean the latest possible date I guess!
You probably need 3 months for MFE.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:28 PM
CCA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeAnActuaryOrNotToBe View Post
You probably need 3 months for MFE.
okay, then ill probably light study for mfe while P studying....TY
Old 09-07-2017, 09:52 AM
CAS

Studying for OC2
College: Roll Tide - alumnae

To quote Ron Swanson: Don't half ass two things. Whole ass one thing.

If you've already failed FM once, splitting your efforts and studying for two things at a time doesn't seem likely to pay off.

Are you rushing to a March MFE date to try to get the exam taken before the changes take effect? If that's your goal, I'd recommend taking FM again in October, focusing fully on that, and then taking MFE in March as early in the exam window as possible. That gives you two months to get ready for P in May, which is reasonable.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for ERM
College: FSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryleslieknope View Post

If you've already failed FM once, splitting your efforts and studying for two things at a time doesn't seem likely to pay off.

Are you rushing to a March MFE date to try to get the exam taken before the changes take effect? If that's your goal, I'd recommend taking FM again in October, focusing fully on that, and then taking MFE in March as early in the exam window as possible. That gives you two months to get ready for P in May, which is reasonable.
Personally, I'd focus on FM and P, and plan to take the summer sitting of MFE with the new syllabus.
I passed MFE with about 2 months of study, but that's basically all I did after work.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:11 AM
CCA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryleslieknope View Post

yes I am about 5 weeks from FM so ill just focus on that..im just in a rush cause i want to transfer locations and slow exam progress is a red flag
Old 09-08-2017, 08:12 AM
CCA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcact View Post
Personally, I'd focus on FM and P, and plan to take the summer sitting of MFE with the new syllabus.
I passed MFE with about 2 months of study, but that's basically all I did after work.
this is what i plan on doing too...in march...cause i want to take c in oct..
Old 09-13-2017, 05:41 AM
CAS

Studying for OC2
College: Roll Tide - alumnae

Quote:
slow exam progress is a red flag
Slow exam progress becomes a red flag, sure, but it sounds like you have 0 exams right now, in September. Passing 3 exams in 6 months, while feasible for some people, isn't a benchmark you'll be evaluated off of.

I guess I'm not sure what your aim is here, other than to drive yourself crazy doing nothing but working and studying and to risk sitting (and paying for!) six exams in a year and passing none of them.