Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-20-2017, 07:15 PM
SOA Non-Actuary

College: Junior
Default Just passed Exam FM. Now what?

I know the common answer is "Go on to MFE."

But this time around... things are a little bit different.

The SOA is changing most of the exams this July. I could take MFE in March, but if I fail (which is very possible since it took me two attempts to pass each of P and FM) I'll have to start over and study for a different exam.

I could do Exam C since there's both a February and June attempt before the change, but it's considered a brutal exam to be your third.

Any ideas on what I should do?
Old 10-21-2017, 09:07 AM
CAS

Studying for OC2
College: Roll Tide - alumnae

I did C third. It's not that bad. It's a lot of material, but you can definitely prepare for it in about 3 months. Especially if you've taken P recently and are still comfortable with the basics of calculus and probability.

Or you could take MFE, if you wanted. It's not changing that much, it looks like about two thirds of the syllabus is the same. But if you pass MFE in March then you're looking at C over the summer and potentially STAM in the fall.

I would take C, since that will give you two shots at the same exam. I would especially take C if you aren't sure yet if you're going CAS or SOA. As far as we know so far, CAS intends to continue to offer credit for MFE/IFM. They won't be offering any sort of credit for STAM.

tl;dr: Take C. You'll survive.