Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-09-2017, 05:09 PM
SOA

Studying for PA
College: UNL Alumni
Default Modules time

I wonder how long does it take on average to complete all ASA modules 1- 8 ?

The last day to submit final assessment is March 30. Is it reasonable to start Module I now and reach the end by March 30?

Thank you for your insights
Old 12-10-2017, 05:39 PM
SOA

Studying for GHCORC
College: Université Laval

Modules 1-4 and 6-7 end of module exercices can be done in less than 20 hours each (not sure about 6-7 since I haven't done them myself yet but I heard they are similar to 1-4 in term of time required). You don't need to do any readings for modules 1-3, a very quick read of one page of Segal's book for Module 4, and from what I've heard nothing for 6-7. Just skip everything and complete exercice. I think you'd learn more from reading stuff, but you certainly don't have any time for that in 3.5 months.

For module 5, you have a month to complete Interim Assessment, which seems to take between 30 and 80 hours to complete depending on people. Those hours include finding info on the internet or other sources, I don't think it's worth it trying to "study" beforehand since you have a month to complete it.

For module 8, Final assessment has a time limit of 4 days. I'm not sure if you should try to study before.

If you don't work full time (or can take a lot of vacation days to study) it might be possible but you won't have any time to fail anything, will need to focus non-stop (and if you didn't know it yet, FAP is boring as hell) and basically won't have a life nor any fun for the next 3.5 months.

I don't think it's worth it just to skip Predictive Analytics exam, but then again you'll have to do FAP at some point so it's not wasted time even if you fail. But I think it is too late. You may aswell just start, ignore March 30 deadline and do PA exam eventually.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:56 PM

you might get more answers if you put this in the soa modules section of the forum, not in the prelims section. the only reason i even saw this is because it's at the top of this section.

i'm pretty slow with modules, but i see others doing them super fast, so it seems possible. not possible for me, but seems so for others. they also no longer require a pass on IA to do FA, so that helps make it more possible. so, i'd say it's impossible if not for the fact that i see others doing it, so go for it.
Spoiler:
Old 12-13-2017, 01:11 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i'm pretty slow with modules, but i see others doing them super fast, so it seems possible. not possible for me, but seems so for others. they also no longer require a pass on IA to do FA, so that helps make it more possible. so, i'd say it's impossible if not for the fact that i see others doing it, so go for it.
I feel the same way. I think to do it quickly you need to be committed to gaming the system and ignoring nearly all the readings and case studies. Many people pass them fine doing this, which for me is an indication of a very flawed course. I think possibly some of the quick candidates are resubmitting old work after the course expired and they had to start over? I really don't know. I was not able to go that quickly. I basically needed several weeks, if not a month, for each module mostly due to reading everything.