Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-23-2019, 03:46 PM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Theory View Post
Surprisingly the situation I'm in right now. I'm currently taking assignment not just from the boss of my supervisor, but from the person another level above as well (it's complicated). I have weekly one on one with my direct supervisor to talk about my projects, but now that I think about it I have no idea what my supervisor is going to do when the annual performance review comes around.
you'll either get all 'meh he/she's good i guess' or all gold stars. this was an issue in my prior position that different supervisors were egregiously inconsistent with one another.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:01 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for C4
College: Chambana
Favorite beer: Whatever you buy me

My last job had me interacting directly with the chief actuary on most of my work. My manager was tangentially involved, but lacked the expertise to really be useful in the interactions.

In that scenario I wanted my manger to be the intermediary to direct traffic away from me when the chief actuary wanted something immediate. It worked out.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:32 PM
SOA

Studying for PA

My old boss was assigned a manager(small boss) in a reorg to help with the admin and oversee a few subgroups of the big boss's team. I'm in the mostly good version of this now as I still get work and help from old/big boss and interact with him on the questions only he can answer. The new smaller boss is chill about the admin stuff(more of a friend boss type) and has some other connections to sources, though she's learning with us and can't really code herself. There's also 2 more senior people who do a lot of project management(one aspiring manager and one former manager in a different area)

Kinda worried how this will all shake out for everyone if we have annual reorgs again in a few months
Old 09-23-2019, 06:03 PM
SOA AAA

College: Utah State University
Favorite beer: Yards IPA

When I worked at Milliman we didn't have the direct reporting structure. You basically got assigned clients and reported to whoever was on that client. This made it very easy for everyone to know who was good at what and assess relative competencies.

With the more typical corporate structure I'm at now, we do reviews now and it's very hard for anyone to understand relative abilities and performance. Your boss might know how good or bad you are, but at the same time they have little ability to compare against your peers. Theoretically this leads to some very talented individuals getting low or average reviews and some poor performers getting good reviews. In the end your boss' and boss' boss' manager styles are a bigger influence than any structure.

Still, if you're a good employee I think it's better for you and for your company when you to reach out and get yourself into the situation where you work with more people and more independently. It sets you up better for future positions you may have.

If you're a bad employee it's probably still helpful for you as you can pretend to do a lot of work for other departments and disappear into a corporate hole. This is obviously bad for the company and IMO why big companies try to avoid that situation.