Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-23-2014, 05:26 PM
thatssuperacular thatssuperacular is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2
Default Got offered an on site interview. Tips?

Hi everyone,

I was recently invited to interview on site at Milliman's New York City office with their Health and Welfare team. Has anyone ever interviewed with them before? What was it like and any tips?

So far I was told I'll be going in to fill out some forms, have lunch, and then take a Caliper test. However, beyond that, I have no idea what else they'll throw at me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Love Actuarially Love Actuarially is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: May 2011
Favorite beer: Allagash
Posts: 1,289
Default

Caliper test? Are they only hiring people who have low body fat %?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-23-2014, 05:46 PM
ElDucky's Avatar
ElDucky ElDucky is offline
Free Mason
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In a van, down by the river
Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8
Posts: 42,146
Default

I was also thinking of the body fat measurement test. I guess there is a personality test of that name. You should research it. Be enthusiastic about the job, have some good questions ready. There's not much specific we can give you that the internet doesn't have about interviewing.

Don't say anything stupid here, have someone at Milliman New York read it, then lose your interview.
__________________
I live near the cows.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-23-2014, 05:47 PM
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yeah - don't stalk the people interviewing you and write that one guy looks like a nerd and that one of the women is the hottest actuary you have ever seen
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-23-2014, 05:48 PM
MathStatFin MathStatFin is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,703
Default

delete this thread immediately.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Captain Oveur Captain Oveur is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 12,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
I was also thinking of the body fat measurement test. I guess there is a personality test of that name. You should research it. Be enthusiastic about the job, have some good questions ready. There's not much specific we can give you that the internet doesn't have about interviewing.

Don't say anything stupid here, have someone at Milliman New York read it, then lose your interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
Yeah - don't stalk the people interviewing you and write that one guy looks like a nerd and that one of the women is the hottest actuary you have ever seen
RN
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-23-2014, 05:52 PM
erosewater's Avatar
erosewater erosewater is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: my mom's basement
Studying for your mom
Favorite beer: Schlitz
Posts: 66,685
Default

If I were one of the people interviewing you and I knew you made this thread it would make me less likely to hire you
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-23-2014, 05:53 PM
PackFan47 PackFan47 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 29,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Actuarially View Post
Caliper test? Are they only hiring people who have low body fat %?


It sucks they're making you do it after lunch. Jerks!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-23-2014, 05:53 PM
ElDucky's Avatar
ElDucky ElDucky is offline
Free Mason
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In a van, down by the river
Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8
Posts: 42,146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathStatFin View Post
delete this thread immediately.
Good advice. Or at least change the info about the office and city. Just say you have an interview.
__________________
I live near the cows.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erosewater View Post
If I were one of the people interviewing you and I knew you made this thread it would make me less likely to hire you
Why? Because they want as much information as possible to make the best impression possible?

You're right - I much prefer candidates who don't give a shit
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.41085 seconds with 11 queries