Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 1-5
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-20-2011, 02:11 PM
SOA AAA

College: Alumni-North Central College
Default Completely new IA on second attempt

Has anyone else got a completely new IA when they retook it for a second time?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:51 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP Modules
College: University of Connecticut
Favorite beer: All the beer

I think they changed IA's pretty recently; or at least came out with a new one
  • DMAC
  • FAC
Old 01-20-2011, 06:54 PM

The SOA does not care which attemp you are on. If they release a new IA, you will have to do the new one. It's totally absolutely ridiculous but that's just how they do it
Old 01-20-2011, 11:30 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapebaby View Post
The SOA does not care which attemp you are on. If they release a new IA, you will have to do the new one. It's totally absolutely ridiculous but that's just how they do it
If you fail a exam, it's ridiculous you don't get the same exam again?

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.
So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it. --jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics --jas66kent
Old 01-22-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLocke View Post
If you fail a exam, it's ridiculous you don't get the same exam again?
And yes, it's ridiculous because if someone completed their IA, failed and had to take it again, they would normally have the same version of IA. But if SOA released a new version, then they had to take that different one. That person already tried to figure out what he did wrong, and now got a completely new set of questions to deal with. IMO, that's not fair. I just think that people will have an uproar if they take an exam, then the next sitting, the 30-40 questions on the exam are completely changed. You gotta admit that exam in different sittings, at least for the preliminary, are very much alike, except for numbers.

Also, the feedback that they gave you on the last attempt would do you no good. But maybe you are right because their feedback is completely useless anyway.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:26 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapebaby View Post
And yes, it's ridiculous because if someone completed their IA, failed and had to take it again, they would normally have the same version of IA. But if SOA released a new version, then they had to take that different one. That person already tried to figure out what he did wrong, and now got a completely new set of questions to deal with. IMO, that's not fair. I just think that people will have an uproar if they take an exam, then the next sitting, the 30-40 questions on the exam are completely changed. You gotta admit that exam in different sittings, at least for the preliminary, are very much alike, except for numbers.

Also, the feedback that they gave you on the last attempt would do you no good. But maybe you are right because their feedback is completely useless anyway.
I think it's a good thing. Anyone can fail an exam and then take the same thing again and again and pass at some point. Doesn't seem to demonstrate much, except persistence.

If you really deserve a pass, you should be able to do it with a new exam w/o any feedback (not that it wouldn't realllllllly suck to start from scratch).-

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.
So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it. --jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics --jas66kent
Old 01-23-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLocke View Post
I think it's a good thing. Anyone can fail an exam and then take the same thing again and again and pass at some point. Doesn't seem to demonstrate much, except persistence.

If you really deserve a pass, you should be able to do it with a new exam w/o any feedback (not that it wouldn't realllllllly suck to start from scratch).-
Agreed that you should get a totally new one if that were the policy from the beginning, but it's really about fairness here: you can't have some people get the same exam, and then other people get a completely different exam. All of your points seem to miss this critical fact.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeTilt View Post
Agreed that you should get a totally new one if that were the policy from the beginning, but it's really about fairness here: you can't have some people get the same exam, and then other people get a completely different exam. All of your points seem to miss this critical fact.
Thank you for that. I was trying to explain the same thing

Tags
interim assessment, modules