Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-12-2019, 12:34 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Every time you pass an exam, start interviewing and then once you get an offer, let the company know how much it is. Then once you make fellowship, your company will have a complete schedule of raises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:48 AM
SOA

Studying for how to find a job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Every time you pass an exam, start interviewing and then once you get an offer, let the company know how much it is. Then once you make fellowship, your company will have a complete schedule of raises.
Wait what are you serious... no you can't be
Old 01-12-2019, 02:55 AM
CAS

Studying for AINS 21 & 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersunnyd View Post
That post was ... redworthy.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:16 PM
CAS

College: JHU

Quote:
I work at an insuretech startup in the Bay Area, and I just passed my first exam since I started couple months ago which means raise time. Unfortunately, we have a small actuarial department with me being the only one taking exams. Thus, we have no exam raise program, and I'm being asked to create my own. My job consists of anything from product development to programming/modeling in R. I've been looking at the DW Simpson survey which says that life ASAs even with minimal experience typically make $100k including bonuses, which honestly seems kinda high to me. Considering my location and long hours, should I be asking for something higher? If so, does anyone have suggestions on how much I should be asking for per exam?
save some money and apply to a CS/DS master program, or just attend a programming bootcamp. I think that can help you find a $100K+ job in bay area more easily than taking exams.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:43 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

$100k sounds pretty low for Bay Area. I'm not sure if it's appropriate for ASA though. It sounds about right for a new ASA, but the COL in the Bay Area is so out of whack that it would take a lot more than that (if I were a new ASA) to get me to move there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:04 PM
CAS

Quote:
Well when you put it that way lol... I also was asked to make the program competitive so that we can attract future actuaries, but the only data I have seen is from reddit's /r/actuary's crowd-sourced exam raise information, which could be extremely inaccurate. I just don't want to raise a high number and then have nothing to back why I chose that number. Quoting a reddit survey is probably a hell of a lot worse than quoting Wikipedia.
New York Life publishes this information and my impression is that their program is considered to be competitive/generous.

It would also reflect similar COL/Lifestyle expectations for actuaries practicing in SF.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
Don't undersell yourself. Ever.
Yeah, this is good advice, especially for early in career - so many people can't see the value they provide, just always assume you're worth a lot more than you realize, and you won't be wrong very often. When you are wrong, somebody will let you know.

Quote:
$100k sounds pretty low for Bay Area.
This too. If you take the average ASA salary and assume that's reasonable for an average COL, then put in a Bay Area multiplier, you're probably shooting too high, but def wouldn't settle for average ASA salary if I have to pay to live in SF.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:54 PM
SOA

Quote:
more likely you will have 4 new jobs over the next 5 years and be making 90th percentile income for you level
Old 01-12-2019, 10:27 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for enlightenment

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaymen View Post
That post was ... redworthy.
I guess that would be a little different than just a market check to see if you're underpaid...
Old 01-12-2019, 10:27 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for enlightenment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
more likely you will have 4 new jobs over the next 5 years and be making 90th percentile income for you level
straight shooter imo

Tags
salary