Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Pension - Social Security
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 11-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76
College: MIT '74

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Have you calculated how much money would be required to fully fund SS? How does that compare to the size of the credit & stock markets? I thought I'd read that the funding amount would be comparable to or larger than the private markets....
Yes, that's correct. The PV of all accrued benefits is roughly $17 trillion. The value of all stocks traded on American exchanges is something like $13 trillion.

Bruce
Old 11-10-2011, 10:24 AM
SOA

College: Caltech, Class of 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Have you calculated how much money would be required to fully fund SS? How does that compare to the size of the credit & stock markets? I thought I'd read that the funding amount would be comparable to or larger than the private markets, although things may have changed over the years. Assuming that's true, prefunding would drive down rates/investment returns. Might also inflate a few bubbles.

I'm not so sure prefunding something like SS makes any sense. How well has the SS trust fund worked? I certainly wouldn't call it a success.
echo,

This has been through Congress time and time again the last few decades. There have been many, many proposals to privatize portions of Social Security. However, they have all been shot down.

The government wouldn't invest the money for them. Instead, there would be a system where individuals would make the investment decisions on their own.

If individuals are given the opportunity to fund their own requirement and a system to do so but blow it, they have to bear the consequences and rely on the generosity of others. They're entitled to nothing.

I'd like to have a system that places greater weight on personal responsibility and generosity. I'm sure many people would meet the challenge and come through.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
I understand what you're saying, and I should've made myself more clear.

What I really want is a side-by-side comparison.

Column A: Actuarial value of Social Security taxes you pay in
Column B: Actuarial value of Social Security payouts you receive

And I'd also like to see an effort to keep these values somewhat similar.

Obviously the two numbers won't be completely equal for all people. But the comparison should still be there so that the system will become more transparent. In addition, the sum of Column A should be slightly greater than the sum of Column B in order to account for risk and for the system to remain solvent.

I want a system that is both solvent and somewhat fair. A system in which one generation gets several times more than they put in, another generation gets much less, and future generations gets pennies on the dollar while the system is trillions of dollars in red ink is neither solvent or fair.
Social Security was designed with a number of built-in transfers: from rich to poor, from single to married, from those who die young to those who live a long time. It was never intended to be a "get-what-you-pay-for" DC plan. You basically want to start over from scratch. It's a pipe dream.

Bruce
Old 11-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
This has been through Congress time and time again the last few decades. There have been many, many proposals to privatize portions of Social Security. However, they have all been shot down.
They weren't "shot down." They fell apart because of their own internal inconsistencies. You simply can't get there from here. Remember those 54 million beneficiaries, OK?

Bruce
Old 11-10-2011, 11:03 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothing!!!!
College: Lehigh University Alum
Favorite beer: Yuengling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Means testing is a bad idea as it removes the insurance element. It will kill social security.

The complaints about insolvency are hyperbole. Social security can be continued with adjustements that reflect the demographic changes. (Older qualifying ages, removing the social security max for the revenue side. some reduction in benefit)

I'm 45 years old and have been paying into social security since 1982 and for every year since I was 27 have been paying the max. I'm counting on social security to fund about 20-30% of my retirement. I'm not alone. Further more it's the only real inflation hedge available to retirees.

It's hard to understate how successful social secuity has been in essentially eliminating old age income insecurity.
I'm 35 (today!) and am counting on SS to fund 0% of my retirement, as are many other my age.

Play in the AO Prediction Game now!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
I'm 35 (today!) and am counting on SS to fund 0% of my retirement, as are many other my age.
This.

As the trouble is hitting right now, and there are going to be some benefit cuts to Boomers, because they're living too long and had too few kids. If there are not enough taxpayers to pay for all the goodies, and there isn't enough capital elsewhere willing to pay for the goodies, then goodies are going to be cut.

I think it's going to morph from "social insurance" to an outright welfare program for seniors.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 11-10-2011, 12:53 PM
SOA

College: Caltech, Class of 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
Social Security was designed with a number of built-in transfers: from rich to poor, from single to married, from those who die young to those who live a long time. It was never intended to be a "get-what-you-pay-for" DC plan. You basically want to start over from scratch. It's a pipe dream.

Bruce
Unfortunately, as it is currently structured, Social Security is insolvent.

If having a solvent and fair Social Security is a pipe dream, this will cause many, many problems in the near future.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76

"Fair" is a completely subjective evaluation. I believe that the current system is already fair. And it can be made solvent easily enough.

Bruce
Old 11-10-2011, 12:59 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothing!!!!
College: Lehigh University Alum
Favorite beer: Yuengling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
"Fair" is a completely subjective evaluation. I believe that the current system is already fair. And it can be made solvent easily enough.

Bruce
Older people see it as "fair". Younger people see it as a ponzi scheme. This is not a coincidence.

Play in the AO Prediction Game now!

Old 11-10-2011, 01:10 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Hires Root

We will all pay for my generation's decision to make the next generation smaller.