Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-29-2016, 11:07 AM
CAS

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news.../24/399698.htm

Quote:
Startup Lemonade Bets Behavioral Science Can Help Insurance Not Suck

A company that openly berates the current insurance industry as one that sucks believes that adding behavioral science to the mix will help fix it.

The New York-based startup Lemonade, which is promising to be a revolutionary peer-to-peer insurer, announced this week it has hired Dan Ariely as its chief behavioral officer.

Ariely is a professor of psychology and behavioral economics at Duke University and a founding member of the Center for Advanced Hindsight. He is the author of the several books including “Predictably Irrational,” “The Upside of Irrationality,” and “The Honest Truth About Dishonesty.”

Ariely is also known for his TED talks on topics including “Are We in Control of Our Decisions?” and “What Makes Us Feel Good About Our Work?”

According to Shai Wininger, a co-founder and president of Lemonade, Ariely’s research on dishonesty can help the insurer learn what “brings out the best and worst” in people and how people’s behavior can be changed for the better. “We believe that behavioral economics, together with our unique technology, will help us decrease fraud, get rid of bureaucracy and lower costs for our customers,” said Wininger.

Through his research and his sometimes unorthodox experiments, Ariely says he “questions the forces that influence human behavior and the irrational ways in which we often all behave.” His experiments have included work for TurboTax on ways to motivate people to save more and work with Intel on worker productivity incentives.

Ariely is no fan of the insurance business that just hired him, or at least how the industry currently operates. He believes the current insurance system is “antagonistic” and “annoying” —just two of the negative adjectives he uses to describe it in a promotional video for Lemonade.

“If you tried to create a system to bring out the worst in humans, it would look a lot like the insurance of today,” said Ariely. “We’ve spent recent years deepening our understanding of honesty and trust, and our conclusion is that insurance is crying out for a makeover. With its unique business model and technology, Lemonade aims to reverse the adversarial dynamics that plague the industry, transforming both the economics and experience of insurance.”

Ariely will be working with some more traditional insurance executives at Lemonade. In January, the instech startup hired four seasoned insurance executives to round out its executive team. It named Ty Sagalow, a 25-year senior executive with American International Group (AIG), as its chief insurance officer. It also attracted three other seasoned insurance executives — Robert Giurlando and James Hageman from ACE Insurance and Ron Topping, also from AIG — to join its small band of technologists.

The startup has raised $13 million in initial funding and attracted a line-up of reinsurance partners, including Berkshire Hathaway and leading Lloyd’s of London syndicates.

Lemonade’s founders promise their firm’s technology and approach will disrupt and reinvent the insurance industry business model and make insurance a “delightful” experience for consumers.

This week another highly-touted “disrupter” of the insurance system, Google Compare, was put on the chopping block by its parent, the search engine giant. Insurance industry experts said the flop of this high-tech insurance agency was a result of Google not understanding the insurance business.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:19 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

"Center for Advanced Hindsights"

I have a hard time believing that this was not written by someone from The Onion.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 02-29-2016, 11:46 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
"Center for Advanced Hindsights"

I have a hard time believing that this was not written by someone from The Onion.
Why predict the future when you have perfect information of the past?

-Riley

Map of Actuarial Hiring Companies
Old 02-29-2016, 12:06 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

This reminds me of a tagline about making banking exciting...

....I don't want an exciting bank. Just give me my money, please.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 02-29-2016, 12:06 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

I don't want insurance to delight me, is what I'm saying.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 02-29-2016, 12:11 PM
CAS

I choose my auto insurance company based on which character from Oz they have as a spokesman. I'd switch to Cure in a heartbeat if they got Adebisi.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 02-29-2016, 12:29 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
I choose my auto insurance company based on which character from Oz they have as a spokesman. I'd switch to Cure in a heartbeat if they got Adebisi.

Allstate and Farmers...anyone else?
Old 02-29-2016, 12:50 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLW2cxsj8Vw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:50 PM

So do they think calling it peer-to-peer will somehow free it from regulatory scrutiny and claims of things like redlining, which is going to be what any peer-based pool is going to look an awful lot like?
Old 02-29-2016, 01:01 PM
CAS

I thought Lemonade was going to fail pretty quickly but they acquired some pretty powerful backers so idk anymore