Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 09-11-2017, 12:14 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns View Post
Same here,

I have a specific day in mind but I want to finish it before September ends. Some sections are easier than others though.

Normal probability plot? Which manual are you using?

@immocardo,

I still haven't figured out when I should take it. Would you recommend it? How long did it take you? Can it be finished in a week?
Sorry about the slow response. Yes, I would say it can definitely be done in a week if you still have a strong grasp on some FM concepts (nothing too deep, just strong fundamentals on Time Value of Money and Discounting). When I prepped for it I had a study guide that had questions and answers (that had been completed by another coworker). I basically just skimmed it and was good to go. (~20 hours of studying) Easily doable in a week.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:55 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MFE
Favorite beer: Taiwan beer

two day behind on my schedule due to various reasons..(one is definitely laziness)
and I'll have a friend visiting from asia next week.
Part of the challenge of preping for exam is that life can really get in the way
Old 09-14-2017, 08:48 PM
CAS

Studying for Finance VEE
Favorite beer: Blue moon

which part are you on now?

Old 09-15-2017, 10:53 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for MFE
Favorite beer: Taiwan beer

Just started black-schole.
I wonder if less people will be sitting for this one due to exam structure change next year
Old 09-15-2017, 11:10 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Rereading the ASM manual. I failed the July sitting. I memorized the questions on my exam and wrote them down in my notebook afterwards. Need to do way more practice problems this attempt.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:07 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE
College: BU Alumna
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyunited View Post
Just started black-schole.
I wonder if less people will be sitting for this one due to exam structure change next year
That's why I'm taking it in November. I thought they were adding stuff to it next summer.

P FM MFE MLC C
Old 09-15-2017, 01:03 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterthancandee View Post
That's why I'm taking it in November. I thought they were adding stuff to it next summer.
MFE changes to the IFM next summer. This is the second to last sitting before the exam change.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:34 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam C
College: Alumni

I will also be taking the exam again in November. Failed the July sitting
Anyone think it's possible to take this exam in November, then study for C in February, and then take VEE stats after and finish in time to get credit before it changes? I'm not trying to get my ASA before the changes, I just wanna get C and VEE Stats out of the way.
I took the Corporate Finance VEE with CA and finished in 2 and a half weeks, so I'm pretty sure I can finish stats in around 2/3 weeks too, but I'm not sure if taking it in February will be too late to count for credit before it changes into another exam+VEE because I know it takes like a month/2 to process the exam grades and stuff too.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:21 PM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Nebraska (alma mater)
Favorite beer: Captain Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD24 View Post
Anyone think it's possible to take this exam in November, then study for C in February, and then take VEE stats after and finish in time to get credit before it changes? I'm not trying to get my ASA before the changes, I just wanna get C and VEE Stats out of the way.
I took the Corporate Finance VEE with CA and finished in 2 and a half weeks, so I'm pretty sure I can finish stats in around 2/3 weeks too, but I'm not sure if taking it in February will be too late to count for credit before it changes into another exam+VEE because I know it takes like a month/2 to process the exam grades and stuff too.
I believe the SOA is concerned about the completion date, not the processing date. I would check their VEE page to double-check.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:46 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD24 View Post
There's an Exam C sitting in June 2017 that you can take that counts for the transition credit. It does not count towards the ASA though, but you aren't going for that.