Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 12-11-2017, 08:25 AM
CCA Non-Actuary

Default pay per mile program

Does your company have a pay per mile program for personal auto? what is it like? I am new and trying to figure out questions for a director wanting to discuss this product. if this is something you carry, is it allowed at your state? why or why not?
Old 12-11-2017, 10:45 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Good luck getting responses about a concept whose implementation is likely to be viewed as highly-proprietary information.

Most companies that have rating that utilizes telematics data will likely have some degree of "rating per mile" type aspect . . . but it will very likely not be as linear as a straight-forward "pay per mile" program.

You might look at industry literature on the use of telematics for some insights (the CAS has a few on the topic).

You might also consider if a strict linear relationship is going to be supported by data. For example, for lower mileage risks, the relationship might be linear (or close enough for rating); but you might get to a point where the increase in risk is diminished with an increase in mileage because the driver/policyholder has "great familiarity" with the roads and traffic patterns.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES

Last edited by Vorian Atreides; 12-11-2017 at 10:50 AM..
Old 12-12-2017, 08:32 AM
CCA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
Good luck getting responses about a concept whose implementation is likely to be viewed as highly-proprietary information.

Most companies that have rating that utilizes telematics data will likely have some degree of "rating per mile" type aspect . . . but it will very likely not be as linear as a straight-forward "pay per mile" program.

You might look at industry literature on the use of telematics for some insights (the CAS has a few on the topic).

You might also consider if a strict linear relationship is going to be supported by data. For example, for lower mileage risks, the relationship might be linear (or close enough for rating); but you might get to a point where the increase in risk is diminished with an increase in mileage because the driver/policyholder has "great familiarity" with the roads and traffic patterns.
Thank you, this was helpful, any resources you (or anyone) can point me to is a great help.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:42 PM
CAS

Studying for data science

Look at the Exam 6 syllabus. There is a paper on usage-based insurance. If you want to learn, read it.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:12 AM
CAS

Metromile is pretty close to a legit pay-per-mile program. There is a relatively small fixed premium and the rest is exactly proportional to the miles driven. I assume they have to have a rate filing out there you could learn something from.