Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 01-02-2018, 03:52 PM
CAS

Hi, Ronaldy27, I am submitting an article to the CAS about mapping meteorological data in R which would be related to your project. It is much more straightforward (less detailed) than the Spatial Analysis in R book. There are a number of packages that are helpful in mapping insurance type data, and I had been looking for reviewers who wanted to comment as to whether or not the programs are complete for their general actuarial purposes, and easy to interpret. I don't know if there is a way you can contact me without giving up your identity? That seems to be a major issue on actuarial outpost. However I am not here on this site to check up on who is looking for jobs. ; ' ))
Old 01-02-2018, 03:58 PM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Gwen, I'm sure there are many others here that are more qualified than I am to give a review, as I'm just getting into this stuff but if you need a novice like me who has little background in this to go over the material, then I guess you can send it via PM.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:00 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenAnderson View Post
Hi, Ronaldy27, I am submitting an article to the CAS about mapping meteorological data in R which would be related to your project. It is much more straightforward (less detailed) than the Spatial Analysis in R book. There are a number of packages that are helpful in mapping insurance type data, and I had been looking for reviewers who wanted to comment as to whether or not the programs are complete for their general actuarial purposes, and easy to interpret. I don't know if there is a way you can contact me without giving up your identity? That seems to be a major issue on actuarial outpost. However I am not here on this site to check up on who is looking for jobs. ; ' ))
I've done a bit of spatial analysis in the past (specifically referencing the book you mentioned as well as Bivand), so I'd be cool with reviewing.

I'm also not anonymous:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/rbhowsden/

rbhowsden@email.wm.edu

-Riley
Old 01-02-2018, 04:01 PM
CAS

Yeah ^ this guy is qualified.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:04 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
I've done a bit of spatial analysis in the past (specifically referencing the book you mentioned as well as Bivand), so I'd be cool with reviewing.

I'm also not anonymous:

rbhowsden@email.wm.edu

-Riley
Wait, you work for Riot Games now?
Dude hook me up with some free league skins.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:46 PM
CAS

http://bcb.dfci.harvard.edu/~aedin/c.../CDC/maps.html

This is a pretty good place to start.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:43 PM
CAS

Quote:
Just make sure what you are using it for meets the requirements of the license. Not all licenses for open-source materials are the same and there is a pretty good chance that anything developed and deployed commercially has some restrictions.

-Riley
Most people here would be using Rshiny for internal BI purposes, which their license fully permits.

However, even though the software is free in cost, it still requires someone to administer the server. If that ends up being someone from IT, then the overhead is not cheap.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:12 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthMtn View Post
And Shiny is great too, no surprise since it comes from the Rstudio folks. No need to purchase fancy BI software when you can build one for extremely cheap.
Hadley isn't as loved as you think he is.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:55 PM
CAS

Ronaldy27, I do have another entry on the outpost where I requested reviewers to contact me directly without mentioning outpost name. I would have absolutely no way of knowing which anonymous outpost identity would be contacting me and I have no interest in who is job seeking. I am using the term 'reviewer' loosely as I would find the feedback relevant from someone trying to use R for the first time for various mapping projects, to see if the code runs properly and is easy enough to modify for your purposes. I think you will find through a review that your intuition about using R for these purposes is correct. In R you can go from maps directly to analyses (or I should say from visual to numeric) and back seamlessly. There is a list of US cities > 100K population on Wikipedia which gives the lat/lon coordinates. But also the R package 'maps' already has a database of US Cities (us.cities) that includes coordinates for cities > 40,000 as well as a separate database canada.cities with all cities of >1,000 population. The data in these databases are free for commercial use. The package 'raster' has detailed country municipalities from GADM which requires permission for commercial use. For the US only I think you will not have trouble finding what you need that is free in R. If 90% or so of your insureds are located in the largest cities then you should be able to make your case for the project and not have trouble finding someone to complete the list or purchase a complete list?

Riley, so nice of you to offer your expertise and how nice that you can go non-anon!
Old 01-03-2018, 11:03 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:

I'm also not anonymous:

rbhowsden@email.wm.edu

-Riley
The b stands for badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.