Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-11-2018, 03:26 PM
CAS

How do yall use onenote? Just make a different note for each project and freeform it?

I've been using a mixture of the notes app on my phone, outlook tasks, and a google doc. Might be interesting to consolidate everything into one place using something like OneNote.

Anyone type notes in meetings using an iPad/laptop or is the norm to still use good ol pen and pad?
Old 04-11-2018, 03:38 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

I have tried tablet/laptop before and it is just too cumbersome. Also not good if you need to draw a diagram or flow chart. Easier to do this in a notebook.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:57 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Seeking recommendations for keeping up with multiple projects.
What is exactly your problem?

Just remembering what projects that you have?
OneNote may be good for that.

If your looking for a project management tool - then you probably want something more robust. Your company may have a license already to some project management software.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:03 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
It's homophone week.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:53 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
What is exactly your problem?

Just remembering what projects that you have?
OneNote may be good for that.

If your looking for a project management tool - then you probably want something more robust. Your company may have a license already to some project management software.
Yep, the bolded. I'll just forget things entirely. It's scary.

If something truly requires a project manager, I hand it over to somebody with that skill set.

I just need something to help me remember all the different efforts that various people on my team are working, so I can remember to check in on them, make sure things are moving along, etc. And also, so I have the latest thinking on various topics, remember where to find the last report or analysis, that sort of thing.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:57 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
I normally right down stuff in a big notebook, and then update onenote at lunch & after work. This way I have two sources of information (the notebook is also far easier to keep current when going to meetings).
Most of my meetings are on the phone, so I'm in front of a computer and can type away while participating. But I actually used to do what you're saying, even when seated alone in my office. It did work. But always felt wasteful (throwing away paper when I could just enter it all on the computer).

But, yeah, things stuck with me better when I did it this way. Plus, the process of transferring from handwritten notes to typed notes forced me to remember parts of the conversation, write them in a way that was more clear when I came back to them later, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 04-13-2018, 05:59 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Yep, the bolded. I'll just forget things entirely. It's scary.

If something truly requires a project manager, I hand it over to somebody with that skill set.

I just need something to help me remember all the different efforts that various people on my team are working, so I can remember to check in on them, make sure things are moving along, etc. And also, so I have the latest thinking on various topics, remember where to find the last report or analysis, that sort of thing.
For that, a white board can work. And make it visible to your direct reports.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:00 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
I normally right down stuff in a big notebook, and then update onenote at lunch & after work. This way I have two sources of information (the notebook is also far easier to keep current when going to meetings).
Great post (because I do the exact same thing).

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.
So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it. --jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics --jas66kent
Old 04-14-2018, 07:45 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: too many to list here

Microsoft Project if you are truly managing projects and there is no PM. Instead of OneNote I find Excel to be an improvement as you have text formatting and you can calculate.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:09 PM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
How do yall use onenote? Just make a different note for each project and freeform it?
I'll probably out myself with this, but...

First: I keep a "master project" page in OneNote. It's a grid where I keep big projects with a few notes or tasks for each listed.

Second: I do a page-a-day diary. Assorted notes, daily/short-term to-dos, etc. go there. Onetastic has some macros that can be adapted to make nice templates for this.

Third: Big "notes to self" or draft documentation ends up getting their own pages in a separate section or notebook. I probably could/should come up with a system to organize these nicely, but mostly I just rely on search within OneNote to find what I need.

Two other bits of OneNote goodness I make use of are the ability to create and link Outlook tasks from OneNote (I want project tasks/milestones with deadlines on my calendar)...and I use a Surface, so I can hand-write into OneNote for note-taking.

However, I am not currently a manager. I think my project grid would work with keeping tabs of team members' individual projects, but if coordination towards a common deliverable were needed...I'd turn towards Project (or...I think I have a Gantt chart Excel template somewhere...) if a formal Project Manager weren't involved